newborns/training?

heftylefty58

Awards
I've been training for the past ~20 years, and my wife & I just had our first baby this month. Needless to say, we're perpetually exhausted because we don't get to sleep more than ~1.5 hrs at a time. Since our kid was born, I haven't had the desire (or energy) to hit the gym because I'm one of those people who believe that weightlifting actually breaks down your body, and rest/recuperation is where gains are made. (I'm afraid if I hit the gym in my current state, I'll do more damage than good.)

Anyway, for those of you who have kids, how long did it take before you were able to get back into the gym? (I eventually want to sign up for Bobo's [cutting] program, but I intend to get back into my pre-parenting shape before I start it.)

Thanks.

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
I've been training for the past ~20 years, and my wife & I just had our first baby this month. Needless to say, we're perpetually exhausted because we don't get to sleep more than ~1.5 hrs at a time. Since our kid was born, I haven't had the desire (or energy) to hit the gym because I'm one of those people who believe that weightlifting actually breaks down your body, and rest/recuperation is where gains are made. (I'm afraid if I hit the gym in my current state, I'll do more damage than good.)

Anyway, for those of you who have kids, how long did it take before you were able to get back into the gym? (I eventually want to sign up for Bobo's [cutting] program, but I intend to get back into my pre-parenting shape before I start it.)

Thanks.
My wife just had another baby who is now little over 2 weeks old. I took off the first week of birth just because I planned it that way, it was a much needed break! After that I hit it back hard. Maybe just hit the gym 2 days a week to maintain at least? Maybe set a little schedule up between you and your wife, so you can get a little more sleep on certain days? I don't really know what else to tell you the only thing that would make me stay out of the gym is probably death?

heftylefty58

Awards
Thanks Pitt--my concern isn't the actual workouts. My concern is having enough energy/rest for recuperation. (I don't want to end up so drained where I just come down with a cold or something.)

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Pitt--my concern isn't the actual workouts. My concern is having enough energy/rest for recuperation. (I don't want to end up so drained where I just come down with a cold or something.)

Make sure your diet is 150% take a good multi vitamin, made some CEE for a little boost? Drink a lot of water. And just hope your kid sleeps more lol. I have a 18 month old and a 2 week old so I feel ya.

heftylefty58

Awards
Make sure your diet is 150% take a good multi vitamin, made some CEE for a little boost? Drink a lot of water. And just hope your kid sleeps more lol. I have a 18 month old and a 2 week old so I feel ya.
Oh man--I bet you've got a handful! I can barely write/talk when I'm this tired, so I can't imagine what it'd be like with 2 young ones. :) I'm sure things will get better, but I'm just wondering when. For eg, does my body just get used to functioning on less sleep? (Let's take the past 24 hrs: I got in 4 naps, but the total time asleep was ~3.5 hours.)

Anyway, congrats to you and your wife with your two kids! I admire your dedication to the gym!

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
Oh man--I bet you've got a handful! I can barely write/talk when I'm this tired, so I can't imagine what it'd be like with 2 young ones. :) I'm sure things will get better, but I'm just wondering when. For eg, does my body just get used to functioning on less sleep? (Let's take the past 24 hrs: I got in 4 naps, but the total time asleep was ~3.5 hours.)

Anyway, congrats to you and your wife with your two kids! I admire your dedication to the gym!

Honestly yes my job trained me to function on VERY little sleep so I just got used to it. I'm getting more sleep than your numbers if that makes ya feel better. My 18 month old sleeps most of the time the whole night till about 6:30 in the morning, the babys sleep schedule is pretty much out of wack still which is normal what are you gonna do. I have Chaos coming HOPEFULLY today from Whey Protein Isolate Concentrate Powder Bodybuilding Anabolic Innovations EXCELL Cookies optimum, diet, supplements, bodybuilders, nutrition, athletes - Home it a preworkout supplement that looks really good.