training for size

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.04%

training for size

I am able to bench an average amount (245) but my chest looks like a teenagers still... any help?

2. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.11%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

What form are you using to bench? If you are recruiting too many other muscles your strength in the overall movement may go up, but your muscle size will not.
  3. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.56%

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier
    What form are you using to bench? If you are recruiting too many other muscles your strength in the overall movement may go up, but your muscle size will not.
    Bump. You could be making the mistake I made when I first started benching w/ poor form and use your shoulders too much to push the bar.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.04%

well when i bench i dont bounce the bar off my chest and i keep my back on the bench so i dont get leverage... what forms are there?
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.77%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

try dips, flyes, and wide grip bench.
  6. board observer
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.45%

You can also try dumbbell bench with a bit of an incline. That's my favorite chest exercise.

I've heard that to isolate your chest more when benching you should flare your elbows out wide. That always seems hard on my shoulders though so I don't do it. If you're going to toy with your form, make sure you try it with light weight first and don't push it if it doesn't feel right.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.77%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Moyer
    You can also try dumbbell bench with a bit of an incline. That's my favorite chest exercise.

I've heard that to isolate your chest more when benching you should flare your elbows out wide. That always seems hard on my shoulders though so I don't do it. If you're going to toy with your form, make sure you try it with light weight first and don't push it if it doesn't feel right.
    Interesting that you say that cause i thought the opposite to be true, and since you stated that it hurts your shoulders it would make sense that, that form put more shoulder emphasis. and when executing shoulder movements the elbows almost always go perpendicular to the body like flaring your shoulders on bench. I usually feel the best chest involvement when using dumbells as moyer said. This allows your hands to come together and get a full chest contraction, inversely i recomended wide grip to try to take your shoulders out but this involves a smaller range of motion. I agree with the advice about form and light weights to start. You could also pre exhaust your chest doing pushups or light weight flyes to ensure they are getting sufficient load. If they are already burning you cannot not work them in staple movements. When you do BB or DB try to lower the bar to your nipples and in DB picture it was a bar and do the same this usually works well with your elbows at 45 degress at the bottom. This may bring in more tri's but should still hit the chest hard. Any decline movement involves more chest and less shoulders tris than incline or flat movements.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Cluster training for size
    By amarula in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-15-2013, 07:25 PM
  2. strength training for size?
    By inda11 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-20-2012, 03:15 PM
  3. training for size
    By rhino67jg in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 33