In need of some arms training critique....

showner3

Awards
I have been a member here for a little while now. First & foremost I want to say Thank You for all of the great information on here. I have been training for the last 7 years off & on. On a steady regimen (Diet & training) for the last 4 months after about a year vacation.

Genetics has blessed me w/ extremely long arms in comparison to the rest of my body. I realize ahead of time that I have a long road ahead to pack mass on my arms. I wanted to throw up my Bi's,Tri's,& forearms workout on here to see if there is any changes I can make to help out the mass of my arms.

Note: I do each part on a different day as to not burn out one whole section of my body due to my job.BTW this is not my whole workout routine, just my arm excercises.

Bi's(Mon)
Preacher Curls 3x8
Hammer Curls 3x8
Reverse Curls 4x6
Cable Curls 4x6

Tri's(Wed)
Skull Crushers 3x8
French Curls 3x8
Cable Pulldowns 3x10
Dips 5x5

Forearms(Thurs.)
Std. Wrist Curls 4x10
Rev. Wrist Curls 4x10

Any positive suggestions are much appreciated :thumbsup:

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Well triceps looks good but i'd throw barbell curls into the mix for biceps, also try throwing little variations in their, for example when doing skull crushers i normally set the bench up 3 notches so i'm on a moderate incline this is the way Gustavo Badell does them and i find i really like them. Doing them that way really hits the lateral head nicely. Also try doing the french presses on a steep incline to get a nice stretch in the longhead these feel great. Also for biceps try incline hammer curls and incline zottman curls, for some variation. So ya everything looks good but like i said make sure to do some barbell curls, straight or ez curl bar. And i find arms thrive on variation.

Oh ya almost forgot for forearms try doing reverse wrist curls on a cable machine one arm at a time, the constant tension really pounds em nicely.

showner3

Awards
Thanks, some variation may be the key. One thing that I noticed on my arms since starting this thread, My Bi's peak out decent but I am lacking in the "width" of them. Anything out there to focus on that area?

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established
JMO, that's way too much work for your arms. 14 sets for biceps is overkill, you will overtrain them in no time. Reason being is that your biceps are also used on your Back day indirectly, and your triceps used on Chest day. I'd tone both down to 6-8 sets, go heavy as possible with good form, stay in the 6-10 reps range. good luck, I also have long arms ;)

showner3

Awards
JMO, that's way too much work for your arms. 14 sets for biceps is overkill, you will overtrain them in no time. Reason being is that your biceps are also used on your Back day indirectly, and your triceps used on Chest day. I'd tone both down to 6-8 sets, go heavy as possible with good form, stay in the 6-10 reps range. good luck, I also have long arms ;)

If you were to cut something out/back what would it be??Thanks

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established
If you were to cut something out/back what would it be??Thanks

Here's what my personal preference would look like:
Bi's(Mon)
Standing EZ Bar Curls 3x6-10
Preacher Curls 3x8
Hammer Curls 3x8

Tri's(Wed)
Skull Crushers 3x8
Cable Pulldowns 3x10
Kickbacks 3x10

Forearms(Thurs.)
Std. Wrist Curls 4x15-20
Rev. Wrist Curls 4x15-20

Do your Dips on Chest day at the end of your routine ;)

Once again, just my preference, I'm sure others have different ideas.

edit: what's the rest of your routine look like? That's the other peice of the puzzle we need to help.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I hit my tri's with 4-5sets on chest day and bi's 4-5sets with Back. Bi's are especially small muscle so they don't need to be hit with 14 sets.

I here ya with the long arms bro I"m 6'2 and packing mass on is hard work but in time you'll get there.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I guess i'm the only one who does really high volume for arms, it works for me. If i were you i'd drop the hammers because reverse curls will pound forearms anyway and will also strengthen your wrists. Also preachers will really thicken up your biceps, do them one arm at a time with dumbbells. Also going to the other side of the preacher bench so your arms are hanging straight down and doing dumbbell or barbell curls using that side REALLY adds thickness to them. You could also drop pushdowns when training triceps, change between them and dips. I know i'm not the only one who trains high volume on arms though, ever seen Lee Priest or even Jay Cutler i believe on arms? THey just keep going and going. I just make sure that my rest periods are short and i keep my workouts short.

cromwell

Awards
Thanks, some variation may be the key. One thing that I noticed on my arms since starting this thread, My Bi's peak out decent but I am lacking in the "width" of them. Anything out there to focus on that area?
Continue doing hammer and reverse curls this will thicken the Biceps- choose what ever other exercise you like along with these two , like bb or db or preacher curls. I also have a light bone structure and long arms and including hammers and reverses made an obvious difference
best of luck, keep at it:thumbsup:

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
How do you guys feel about "21s"? I believe that is the name for them, it's an exercise that big Ron does where he curls the curling bar 7 reps lower range of motion, 7 reps upper range of motion, 7 reps full motion consecutively. I do these sometimes to mix it up and I like them. I get an amazing pump from them and quite a good burn.

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established
How do you guys feel about "21s"? I believe that is the name for them, it's an exercise that big Ron does where he curls the curling bar 7 reps lower range of motion, 7 reps upper range of motion, 7 reps full motion consecutively. I do these sometimes to mix it up and I like them. I get an amazing pump from them and quite a good burn.

I've seen guys do them, but never understood why. If you want that type of burn, do a triple drop set, that way your still using fill ROM. jmo :)

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
OK OK...I'm listening...go on. ROM? Tripple who in the what?

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established

Range - of -Motion. You still use full range of motion od drops sets versus partial range like that of 21's.

Triple Drop Set = set 1 at 100% weight load to desired reps. immediately drop weight to ~60% (set 2), perform reps to failure, immediately drop weight again to ~50%, perform reps to failure (set 3). Do 2-3 sets like this and you'll be crying. :D

I do these on Leg Extensions and Leg Curls. (tonight was Legs). You get a super pump and really feel like you need to puke.

cromwell

Awards
Full range of motion
I have used 21s as well-many shock techniques are useful
currently I am trying" x reps" (check out the Ironman website for explantion)

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Heh, I'm familiar with ROM, damn computers wouldn't let me edit my post. But that sounds like a great idear Viper. I'll give it a shot.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I've never gotten much out of 21's, i think it would work better if you did heavy partials followed by lighter, full range of motion curls.

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
I feel everyone that has replied is right. You can't just stick with 1 certain plan example:

Bi's(Mon)
Standing EZ Bar Curls 3x6-10
Preacher Curls 3x8
Hammer Curls 3x8

Tri's(Wed)
Skull Crushers 3x8
Cable Pulldowns 3x10
Kickbacks 3x10

Forearms(Thurs.)
Std. Wrist Curls 4x15-20
Rev. Wrist Curls 4x15-20

This looks like some sissy plan from LF... AHHAHA jk jk viper this is really good lol (for an old man).... But seriously what I mean is you need to change it up all the time don't just walk into the gym on arm day and do the sameeee thing for a year.

There are about 100 different exercises to do just study up on all of them. Lift heavy for a few weeks, go high rep 15-30 a few weeks, super set, 21's, pyramid, negatives, slow up slow down, etc etc etc etc etc.......... Change it up is the key.

I do what jminis does and work Bis with back, and Tris with chest. It seems to be working for me but you have to figure out what is best for you no one can tell you that!!

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established
IThis looks like some sissy plan from LF... AHHAHA jk jk viper this is really good lol (for an old man)....

I figured when your doing 500 lb Deads, you're already getting a decent bicep w/o indirectly, so you don't want to over tax your arms too much.

Oh wait, you wouldn't know about that would you? :D

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I find that super sets and triple drop sets work great for growth.

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
I figured when your doing 500 lb Deads, you're already getting a decent bicep w/o indirectly, so you don't want to over tax your arms too much.

Oh wait, you wouldn't know about that would you? :D

Yeah 500 is a good warm up but what are you actually working out with? :woohoo:

cromwell

Awards
Yeah 500 is a good warm up but what are you actually working out with? :woohoo:
I myself get a great arm workout by holding my ex-girlfriend at bay.......she's much stronger than she looks. Of course they say the insane have unusual strength:rofl:

"x reps" are actually working nicely for me but honestly I am doing arm specialization right now..... on a routine with heavy dead's row's bench etc, it might be too much for a 40 year old"unassisted " guy

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I use x-reps in almost all my workouts, normally when i can't get full range of motion i go into partials in the most effect of area of the movement, this works quite well.

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
Hey viper do you ever goto Power Nutriton on Wayne?

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established
Hey viper do you ever goto Power Nutriton on Wayne?

No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :hammer:

seriously FnF has been there, I have not. I know some of the dudes that work/own it at Lifetime. Why's that? you gonna buy me something from there? :D

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :hammer:

seriously FnF has been there, I have not. I know some of the dudes that work/own it at Lifetime. Why's that? you gonna buy me something from there? :D
LoL Yeah I heard you and some guy stayed there? Hmm I wonder what that was about?? :rofl: Anywayyy lolol no just curious I went there today just to check on somethings....

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Here was my arm workout from last week:

V-bar Pressdowns: 4 sets 8-10 reps
Incline Skull Crushers: 4 sets 8-10 reps
Ez-curl bar tricep extensions on steep incline: 4 sets 8-10 reps
One-arm overhead dumbbell extensions: 2 sets 8-10 reps

Incline Hammer Curls: 4 sets 8-12 reps
Incline Curls: 4 sets 8-10 reps
Standing Alternate Curls: 4 sets 8-10 reps

I do warm-up sets i just left them out. This was an awesome workout and hit some personal bests.

cromwell

Awards
I use x-reps in almost all my workouts, normally when i can't get full range of motion i go into partials in the most effect of area of the movement, this works quite well.
I use them a little more sparingly (mostly because my recovery ability at 40 ain't what it was) but I'm getting very good results, especially with muscle hardness. The little girlies just love that:dance:

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
for foeamrs i do 6 sets DB wrist curls supersetted with 6 sets DB wrist curls (arms on thighs on both)
halfway in, my forearms are on fire and i go down to 5 pound dumbells