Trying to get bigger arms and chest while losing weight.

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
I'm 208 pounds 5'9 around 20% body fat. "Big Boned" or big frame.(age 22)

The question is How can I lose the gut, and keep my arms growing and my chest and maybe my legs.

I went on a pretty good workout schedule, pretty much overkill (5 days a week 2.5 hours each day), got down to 18% and 204 pounds. Then I had to pack and move. and my body didn't like it blood in my ..... not pp.

Now I just signed up at the local gym and would like to know if my plan is acceptable.

With the idea of cutting the mid section and working on arms,chest, and legs.

I'm not sure on how many days a week to go, I loved when I went m-f and got in a great rythm. back and then chest with different machines every other day. All of them supersets, as I was trying to keep it a cardio workout. did about 3 sets of 10 at 5 machines a day. And followed each with 1.5 hours of cardio and half of the time doing weight loss slow pace on the eliptical.

Diet
Breakfest- 3 eggs scrambled or burrito with potato and onions and half a gnc mega man multi and a calcium
Lunch afterworkout shake- 1/4 gallon of skim milk 2 servings of whey (4o grams) 1 cup of oats(uncooked) some ice and bananas and maybe apples. along with second half of multi and calcium
Dinner- Chicken and CusCus or Rice and water along with vitamin c and e.

I'm going to have more salads and fruits in my diet as I'm going to try to get 6 meals a day.

Taking creatin during workout, Might turn that back to 30 min before.

Sorry for long post, and probably a lot of things being done wrong, but I'm asking for advice open minded as I know that everyone is different but somethings just work better for most people.

Any more specifics that you need from me to come to a conclusion please ask.

Thanks all,:wave:

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
First and foremost, you def need to start reading some more around here. As your diet, which you seem to know needs LOTS of changing.

There are plent of threads in the Weight Loss forum that will give you a better foundation of what you should be eating.

Next is to setup a fitday.com account so you can actually see how man calories you are eating.

Your 3 meals a day with only 2 being whole foods has you starved and packing on every calorie by now.

Then read up in the exercise forum for some routines. Being in the gym for 2.5 hours does you NO good. The movie stars do that stuff for like 6 weeks, normal, healthy active adults cannot do that.

I will post up more after you come back with more specific questions and a better diet and training routine.

The key is to research yourself, know and live the basics and then expand on that with further research and questions.

Spend a couple months on this site and you will be where you want to be in no time.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
And to answer your question.. no you really can't get to a lower bodyfat and increase your arms and chest.

Cut down to 12% and then see what needs attention as 20% can hide imporper symetry.

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
Thanks you gave me some good food for thought (no pun intended).

I've been on fitday and tried it out, it's really good. I'll keep a journal like you have to see where I'm missing my nutrients. Question about fitday how do you put in multi vitamins or should you not depend on them for certain nutrients?

Yeah I have been slacking and not spending the time I should on this site, but I'll be getting into the swing of things as I am almost moved in.

I'm a supra guy so i don't know if i can trust a rotary guy but I think i can make an acception. jp

thanks again, needed that kick in the pants.

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
Ok thanks for the answer to my question, for some reason I thought if I kept my calories high and lot's of protein I could do both.:blink: But your right, get down to 12% and be in shape then work on getting the right parts built.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Thanks you gave me some good food for thought (no pun intended).

I've been on fitday and tried it out, it's really good. I'll keep a journal like you have to see where I'm missing my nutrients. Question about fitday how do you put in multi vitamins or should you not depend on them for certain nutrients?

Yeah I have been slacking and not spending the time I should on this site, but I'll be getting into the swing of things as I am almost moved in.

I'm a supra guy so i don't know if i can trust a rotary guy but I think i can make an acception. jp

thanks again, needed that kick in the pants.

I dont think fitday has a breakdown of nutrients none that I have seen.

Your best friend will be the nutrional forum, weight loss forum, www.dietforumlive.com, and most of all the stickies on the top of these pages (and mostly all of them at dietforum)

By dropping the body fat your arms wont neccesarily (sp) be bigger muscle wise (as it is extremly hard to accomplish this) but just from the decrease in bf your arms will look more muscular and thus you will have the desired result you seek.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you take your time and research the above suggestions you'll find you can drop your BF% in a safe moderate manner and minimalize your Lean mass loss. The problem is that with what you posted as your previous workout schedule and what your diet probably looked like, you don't have a bunch of lean mass(not being an ass but preparing you for possible outcome). This means that while you drop BF and lean out your chest and arms will probably drop by a good amount in size. This will make you feel small and this is the hard part. Continuing down the same path and keeping that goal of dropping BF. You can then start over and build up the right way.

*2.5 Hours in the gym is an hour overkill

* Your diet is really unhealthy in many ways. 1/4gallon of milk WITH 2 scoops of whey is making me want to take a**** and go to sleep right now.

* You need to eat more often and break down your macros accordingly to maximize the absorbtion and use.

* 1.5 hours of cardio with lifting 5 days a week will not have a positive muscle building effect.

Check out the diet and recipe thread and then get your grocery list. That'll be the first step. that alone may help you drop weight without touching the gym. Then pick up a routine, workout plan etc.

Good luck. Wanting to make the change is the first step and plenty of people here are happy to help you along the way.

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
I've figured that my previous workout and diet was pretty bad, I was in a crunch thinking I could overwork and make up some time realizing I was going to be off for around a week during the move.

Today I've already had three meals
breakfest eggs
weights for 30 min and cardio for 35.
PWS 1% milk 5 cups, 2 servins of whey and a banana, oats, and a mango which i couldn't taste until the end cause the vinalla whey.

3 more after tennis at 4.

Great Advice so far guys, and I'm taking that stuff to heart.

It sux I'm going to loss a lot of my mass but once I get down I can bulk up and work from there.

I think I 'm going to cut my whey down to. But should I consider the rule of a gram of protein per pound? Cause that's a lot of protein. I'm cooking about 4 pounds of chicken tonight for the week but still it's hard to get that many grams of protein.

Using soy protein shakes is that a good substatute for whey because the lack of calestoral?

Thanks again guys,

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
PWS 1% milk 5 cups, 2 servins of whey and a banana, oats, and a mango which i couldn't taste until the end cause the vinalla whey.
Switch to skim and that is roughly 80-95 grams of protein in one meal and 140-160 carbs(three of the four sources are in the forms of sugar). I'd suggest cutting out one of the fruits and breaking it in half for a pre and post workout shake.

3 more after tennis
3 more of those shakes? If that is what you're saying then you need to slow down and back up and read what these guys are telling you. Get the majority of your nutrients in the forms of whole(non powdered) foods. Not to mention you sources of carbs are almost all sugars.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
is there anyway you can lay out the exact meals that you tend to eat daily? At least this way we can see how many cals, and micos your getting , because to be honest you absolutly need to zero in on your diet to have success long term as well as short.

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
it was 3 more meals sorry for lack of description

todays food intake

2 eggs with little cheese and glass of OJ with 1/2 gnc multi n Calcium

PWO shake (which will now be before and after workout)

Lunch- 2x tuna sandwhich with lil mayo and mustard on super healthy 49 glycimic index bread,

Pork Loin with rice and a vege stir fry, and a bite of steak, along with a cucumber salad.

If I keep the weights and the cardio light can I go everyday?

And I will be switchn to skim, and will cut down on the fruits.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I dont have too much time but just at a first glance: Ill try to post more once at school

1) I would get ride of the OJ and just take a Vit C supplement (too much sugar in OJ especially for a cut)

2) If your only having 2 egg beaters and a glass of oj before workout I would suggest getting some form of complex carbs prior and after (if your lifting AND doing cardio then you definitely need some carbs)

3) Whats in your POST workout shake that would be same as before bed???

4) Lunch sounds good

5) dinner looks good as long as its lean pork. If possible I would try and sub chicken but if pork is lean shouldnt be too much of a problem.

6) Dont go 7 days a week. Your body needs rest.

KoreTrain

Awards
I takes time to dial in what you should eat, and your body is different than everyones, talk to trainers at your gym, and READ this fourm and some other websites to get information, take all that info and figure out what works for you. The key is DIET and CARDIO, which you've already figured out.

Eat more eggs (5-6 whites), NO YOLKS, and eat Oats (1/2-1 cup) in the AM too, cut your carb intake at 3-4PM and DON'T DRINK YOUR CALORIES, EAT THEM......

I find this to be true with protien too *ducks*, sorry guys.

DRINK ONE GALLON OF WATER EVERYDAY...and yes you can buile muscle while losing fat, but thats in your diet and style of cardio you're doing

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
I was just thinking that if i kept my protein and calories somewhat above normal I could lose some pounds by gettin into a runners trim. I can't lose my chest and arms, if it take my protein and have cardio two times a day I think I can build off my arms and chest also lose my waist.

Sorry guys, you had good advice, but I think that I can do this with a varied diet and good workouts. So far it's working. I'll get my 5-7 meals a day and stay on my water.

i still would like to go to the gym 5 times a week, as I have no job right now but get in shape, like the movie stars, but I have 3 months to get in great shape. I'm 19% body fat and a big frame, I know when I run my body I lose body fat, it get's into runners trim, and if i keep my cals and proteins up and water I should keep my arms and chest.

Thanks,

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
:trout:

meh...

Good luck and post pics so we can see how you do.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
Re: Trying to get bigger arms and chest while losing weight.

BTW -- this is the goal of probably 99% of everybody on this board.... if there was an easy way... well, we'd all know. So, you don't take the advice everybody gives you and you're gonna do it your way? Good luck...

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
I'm not going to do it on my own, i must have been under the influence. I'm just going to keep my proteins up during the weight loss period.

I'll cut down before I try to do things right. I know that it's a lot harder to do two things at once, (lose weight and build muscle).

I need to Be able to plan my meals, I'm not that busy but rarely i'm home, do I keep tupperware with me or, just eat when i'm home?

It's hard to grow this discipline about controlling what goes in your body.

I'm going to start a blog or something so I know what I'm eating and exercising.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
Good, I think the most important thing to start with is that log. When you start looking at what you're really putting into your body, you can start to analyze how to change it and why.

I'm not going to do it on my own, i must have been under the influence. I'm just going to keep my proteins up during the weight loss period.

I'll cut down before I try to do things right. I know that it's a lot harder to do two things at once, (lose weight and build muscle).

I need to Be able to plan my meals, I'm not that busy but rarely i'm home, do I keep tupperware with me or, just eat when i'm home?

It's hard to grow this discipline about controlling what goes in your body.

I'm going to start a blog or something so I know what I'm eating and exercising.

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
I don't know if I should post this in exercise, and if it should be i apologize but after doing some research this is what I will be starting on Monday

Mon- Traps- Barbell shrugs and dumbbell shrugs
-Chest- Bench, Dumbbell pull over, cable cross (only 2 Lifts)
- Bi- Hammer curl alt, rope curl, preacher curl (only 2 lifts)
- abs- cable crunch, decline crunch
Tuesday- Hour of basketball
Wens- Squats, deadlifts, calves
Thursday hour or so of tennis
Friday- Shoulders- Arnold Dumbbell press, military press
-Tri's - Dip, skull crushers
- Forearms- Reverse Barbell Curls, Standerd Curls
- Abs Dumbbell side bend

Going to try to cut out alcohol maybe 2 beers max once or twice a week.

At least 80 grams of protein a day, along with lot's of veges and fruits to curb appetite. Hopefully I can get myself to eat 5+ times a day.

Skim Milk shake Pre and POst workout, but smaller shakes only 4 cups and one serving of whey in each.

Could I add a jog on the off days if it's a couple hours earlier then the tennis or basketball game?

And I will keep workout's under 45 minutes, can i do a half hour of cardio after i hit the weights? It will be low speed fat-loss speeds 130 pulse or so.

alguard

Awards
Since your goal's are to are focusing on chest/arms. First off, without a strong back chest will eventually not be stimulated for optimum growth. Second of all, You were not specific about arms did you mean mostly bicep or triceps(Which make up about 70% of your arm mass eccentric movements are very important for success and prevention of injury.
Now your diet *DUDE* to many factors that can be frustrating and complicated must be taken into major consideration. EXample bodytype, Mental stress, history of any Illnesses or genetic predisposition (high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholestrol etc>). So pic a diet from this forum, follow it for at least 1-2 months journal every day how you felt and use the mirror for your dieting progress sometimes #'s dont mean.
Sometimes I would diet and weigh more after starting from a long break from exercise and suddenly gain 10 pounds. Even when dieting. The truth is some times you swell w/ nutrients and hold a little extra water weight. Then suddenly i would lose 4 pounds and look noticeably leaner even though I was still relatively still heavier than from the start of my dieting phase. sometime you gain muscle some times you lose fat while dieting depending on your goal. Always remember to keep a journal.
As for your arms and chest, since you werent specific, I hope that s not all you include in your daily regimen plan. Unless you where focusing on cuts rather than density go high volume. Ultimately, Multi-joint movements would be your best bet and a variation like deadlifts and without a strong lower back you will eventually hurt yourself because alot of multi-joint movements require that your lower back be contracted through certain motions as you become stronger in other smaller muscle groups. Just be patient and take it day by day especially dieting. Huge arms and chest are cool and all but, cmon looking at an arm that looks like an anatomy chart now thats art> At least thats my ideology of what bodybuilding (symmetry, balance, and proportion!)

Ohh, you didnt mention to many sports supplements? When dieting a thermobilic is a must< are very inexpesive and very effective. Technological advancements have exploded in th last couple of years. Try green tea or CAMPHOBOLIC both are inexpensive and very effective for example.

alguard

Awards
My pleasure, You can only grow from experience. Its time to grow, my friend. Good luck!

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
HI i am in a fatloss mode right now. I have a log going in the weightloss forum. Make sure to always do fitday and do it for a week after that you will be able to tell where you can cut out useless fats and sugars from. I always type in my planned menu for the next day and cook in advance then just add or delete during the day so at least I have an idea of where I will be at I also type in my expected activities and then change as the day progresses. For me just cutting out salad dressing and mayo was Huge in my diet as it was pretty clean mainly chicken and tuna with pasta oats rice and fruit as carbs but it was the little extras that added made it only semi clean and those were things I didn't think about too much.s

alguard

Awards
Great post bro but, when in diet mode, EPA/DHA, Flax- seed or oil, Linoleic Acid or CLA, Sesamin, Soy(lecithin) and borage oil or primrose oil(make sure It says GLA on the label)are extremely important if your goal is to prevent catabolism.
WITHOUT EFA's I would be nothing when on diet mode.
Tip, if your an mesomorph add safflower oil to your salads w/ lemon or eat lots of natural organic peanut butter. Now start some research and play w/ different fat ratio's to optimize fat loss without losing muscle mass during the process. Fat regulates hormones in men and women and the biggest mistake u can make is depriving your body of the essesntials.

Good Luck w/ your new diet.

Try posting your new weight loss diet.