Workout Regime, questions.

Buddikaman

Awards
I just started going to a new gym 30 mins outside of town and met some new people who workout the same time as me, everyday, excpect sundays, which the gym is closed.

Anyways, i just started bulking and the guys at this new gym while bigger than me, lack a bit of knowledge, one of them always wants to do alot of sets for bodyparts, which i fear might lead to overtraining, and they also dont train to failure, ill be hitting a set and nearing failure and thell make me stop because i hit the magic number(8-12). Personally i prefer to not do so many sets, but hit them hard, and even do things like drop sets to cash the muscle out.

Well they do something like this:

Monday- Chest/triceps
Tuesday- Back/biceps
wensday- Legs
Thursday- SHoulders/abs/forearms
Friday-Chest/triceps
Saturday- Back/biceps
Sunday-off

The problem i have with the above is im only hitting legs shoulders and whatnot once a week...I prefer to hit each body part twice a week, as my muscles usually feel ready to go again after 2-3 days, and i want maximum growth.

So i was thinking something like this:

Monday- Chest/Back/shoulders
Tuesday- Forearm/Biceps/Triceps
Wednsday-Legs
Thursday- Same as monday
Friday- Same as tuesday
Sat-Legs
Sunday- off

Any comments or suggestions appreciated, thanks.

-Buddikaman-

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
I was just talking about something like this in another thread, and I think many of the more experienced lifters here will tell you that setup is a quick way to overtrain. Hitting EVERY bodypart twice a week EVERY week, to me at least, is a far fetched concept..But, if you have superior genetics, and can pull something like that off do it..However, the vast, vast, vast majority of individuals would easily overtrain on such a over worked setup

Buddikaman

Awards
Yea i can see what you mean, but in defense, my genetics arent to shabby(godly im not sure), and i wouldnt be hitting it super hard lots of sets each workout, mostly just enough to stimulate some muscle fatigue(drop sets come to mind), and move on.

But if it really was to much, should i than just stick to my first listed workout, with each body part once a week, except for the few were i get 3 days rest in between...i dont want to overtrain, but i dont want to undertrain either, it wouldnt be so hard to find a split, like 3 on 1 off, but my gym is closed on sundays, and closes at 2pm on saturdays, making it harder...

I want to stimulate some good muscle growth, and from the tons ive read and heard, everyone has an opinion, some say instead of doing lots of sets, just do a few short but intense sets, some say train each body part once a week, some say twice(or more), and even in the new M&F "studys" say its better to train more frequent, but not to overdue your recovery rate on workouts, im not really sure...but i do notice from experience, hitting the bodypart short and hard, not over doing it(like these guys at my gym), helps me recover faster so i can get back in and do it again, while seeing solid gains. I guess the whole authur jones mike mentzer theory, either way, its hard to figure out :blink:

-Buddikaman-

flytrapcan

flytrapcan

Awards
  • Established
I train a body part once a week and one body part each workout. It's gotten me closer to my goal while having the ability to rest and workout injury free.

I love being able to absolutely destroy my legs, chest, arms... in their own workout without having some other body part to worry about.

As for them telling you when to stop your reps, well close your ears and keep pounding. Frequently I'll do max reps on many sets, I don't like finishing a set that has been easy on me. What' s the point. If you don't want to rock the boat just use more weight so you hit your max at 8 or 12, personally I'd just go until the wheels fell off. :head:

Good Luck.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
One of the problems I have with a twice a week, every week routine is that everybody says "well one day will be light", IMO that is pointless. As Flytrap said, I would rather kill it with high intensity, low volume and then rest.

peterson24

Awards
  • Established
just curious, what are your feelings on the westside approach of training? That being a Max Effort Day and a Dynamic Effort Day. In the other thread, I stated that I mostly use Heavy Light and Medium days and hit body parts multiple times a week but I also PL too. I am trying westside out and so far, I like what it entails and see no problems with recovery.

I will say this, A lot of what you do depends on your goals. There is nothing saying that one method is better than an other. I train the way I do because simply, I could not do a ton of sets for a set weight until exhaustion because I would not be able to play the sports I do with any enjoyment. Instead, I would be miserable by being sore or tired. I find the approach for training I do is best for my situation. It allows me to be active outside the weights, not overtrain, and get the most gains.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
just curious, what are your feelings on the westside approach of training? That being a Max Effort Day and a Dynamic Effort Day. In the other thread, I stated that I mostly use Heavy Light and Medium days and hit body parts multiple times a week but I also PL too. I am trying westside out and so far, I like what it entails and see no problems with recovery.
I am not super-familiar with Westside, so I don't have to much of an opinion on it. However, seeing as you are a PL'er and going for mainly strength I could see how a that type of setup would be beneficial for strength increases. I am just not sure if it is the kind of routine that is most conducive to muscle building.

peterson24

Awards
  • Established
I am not super-familiar with Westside, so I don't have to much of an opinion on it. However, seeing as you are a PL'er and going for mainly strength I could see how a that type of setup would be beneficial for strength increases. I am just not sure if it is the kind of routine that is most conducive to muscle building.
as for muscle building directly, it probably isn;t the best approach but the stronger you get the bigger you are going to get, its just a byproduct. Its always nice to be deceiving, no one thinks you can possibly be that strong. The lighter (to an extent) but stronger I am the better, especially for sports.