Am I asking too much?

emilio

Awards
Ok so here is my problem. I'm a powerlifter. I currently compete at 220lbs. I am looking to compete at 198lbs next year. After my next meet (end of may) I am taking the summer off from competing and shifting my goals towards overall physical fitness. My plans include increasing my endurance and speed on my roadbike, functional strength work, and even some running. All the while I really want to preserve as much lean mass as possible. Since I know Bobo has a fairly structured training program will his program work for me? Basically I plan on sticking with the big 3 (squat/bench/dead) as the core of my workouts while also training with kegs/sandbags/sleds and increasing my efforts towards cycling and perhaps even running (i want to do a 5k this summer). So i guess what I'm asking is... can I do all this and shed bodyfat without becoming catabolic and losing tons of muscle with the help of Bobo?

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You have to understand that in most instances this is not how the body works. I do have confidence that Bobo will be able to maximize your gain just based on anecdotal feedback and reading his posts. You won't keep all your strength and all of your muscle but limiting catabolism can be done.

I suggest readin up on Mega Dosing BCAAs if you haven't already.

emilio

Awards
Strength is obviously the first thing to go when training for endurance and any sort of caloric deficiet so I'm ok with that, to a reasonable extent. My real concern is in keeping as much lean mass as possible during my endurance training over the summer. Cycling for 50+ miles at a time and a caloric deficiet really don't work well in terms of avoiding catabolism. I'm just curious if Bobo could help me figure out a nutritional plan that will fuel me for my training and at the same time allow me to shed bf without becoming overly catabolic.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
from the logs i've seen and read, you'd be happy with the clown.