How many people slant back when working lats?

Do you Slant your back slightly when working lats?

• Total voters

phasar

Awards
  • Established
when working your lats, when you attempt to place the bar or make the bar just touch your upper pec, how many people slant their back slightly?

I've always done this, but was told that i shouldn't do it anymore. asking around the gym out of around 7 responses, i noticed all the really big guys do slant back, while the not so huge guys don't.

I've never given this any thought till recently. any which way, i will do this new form without slanting back and keeping my traps locked throughout for a month and see how it goes.

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
I think that I lean back a little bit, but I take the bar to my chin because I seem to feel it more in my lats.

flytrapcan

flytrapcan

Awards
  • Established
I will slant with the larger amounts of weight, hard to do a strict rep pulling the stack. With lighter weight I like to pay attention to the feel at the bottom, sometimes it feels better if I try to bring my elbows in at the bottom. As for where I touch, well I don't, once I get 1 or 2 warm-ups in I just can't get the bar down that far.

phasar

Awards
  • Established
I will slant with the larger amounts of weight, hard to do a strict rep pulling the stack. With lighter weight I like to pay attention to the feel at the bottom, sometimes it feels better if I try to bring my elbows in at the bottom. As for where I touch, well I don't, once I get 1 or 2 warm-ups in I just can't get the bar down that far.
flytrapcan: that picture, just wondering is that you? cuz if it is..........wow, that is one big huge chunk of latissimus muscle there. & thanks for the feedback btw.

flytrapcan

flytrapcan

Awards
  • Established
flytrapcan: that picture, just wondering is that you? cuz if it is..........wow, that is one big huge chunk of latissimus muscle there. & thanks for the feedback btw.
Thanks, yeah that's me in all my glory.

rocketscientist

Awards
Agree 100%. If I wanted to get the bar down to touch I'd have to turn my shoulders and elbows or lean back a lot typically I just get down to slightly below my chin. But I also use lighter weights to concentrate on the bottom part of the movement even if doing so means that some 2/3 of the full range of motion will really not hit your lats that much (at all?).

BTW - I don't think there is any reason not to slant back except that it makes the move a bit easier in the sense that it gets other muscles involved. But that's getting into the discussion of cheats which some find very appalling and trigger comments like 'Look at the weight he's using!' 'Yeah, but he's cheating. Your not supposed to do that. He'll hurt himself that way. Maybe even die. (And his balls will shrink and his penis will fall off.)' :icon_lol:
(Ok - I admit I made up the balls and penis part).

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I mix it up and follow a style similar to Fly's. I think there is value in doing as many angles as you can to hit different areas. Staying upright and pulling to the chin or top of the chest I actually feel it more in my upper lats and armpits. When I lean back...and most often this is for Dillet style/reverse grip pulldowns...I feel it much more on the outter and lower lats. Just judging by feel, I'd say mix it up.

DB rows and weighted chins actually gave me better size, width and thickness than pulldowns, but they are tough on the joints for me.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I do pulldowns in many angles, as I do pull ups first which are the best IMO, in any event leaning back hits the lower lats, bringing out the Cobra,alot more than straight up, mimic while sitting down or, next time watch the big guys doing it, and see if they do not have a wide back. But overall thickness should go to the Deadlift, as I feel it from my traps to my erectors to my buttocks to my hammys. Plus I don't listen to guys in my gym-UNLESS they look better than me, or I see the mechanics of the movement clearly, and it makes sense, after all we now know behind the neck presses really stress or rotator cuff, but yet I still see clueless *******s doing it, and wondering why they are sore, and complaining they are getting old.
Just check out who is giving you advice, and their body chances are if you look better than you- they have better gear, or they work hard, or both, but if they look less than you, or look the same year round- blah-blah-blah.

phasar

Awards
  • Established
Agree 100%. If I wanted to get the bar down to touch I'd have to turn my shoulders and elbows or lean back a lot typically I just get down to slightly below my chin. But I also use lighter weights to concentrate on the bottom part of the movement even if doing so means that some 2/3 of the full range of motion will really not hit your lats that much (at all?).

BTW - I don't think there is any reason not to slant back except that it makes the move a bit easier in the sense that it gets other muscles involved. But that's getting into the discussion of cheats which some find very appalling and trigger comments like 'Look at the weight he's using!' 'Yeah, but he's cheating. Your not supposed to do that. He'll hurt himself that way. Maybe even die. (And his balls will shrink and his penis will fall off.)' :icon_lol:
(Ok - I admit I made up the balls and penis part).
BWAHAHAAHAHAAAAAA

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Simple physics tells you that sitting up (90 degrees from your quads) bears all of the load.
However, any bend back reduces the load by the amount greater than 90 degrees.

rocketscientist

Awards
Simple physics tells you that sitting up (90 degrees from your quads) bears all of the load.
However, any bend back reduces the load by the amount greater than 90 degrees.
Nope, the force on the cable is always the same, independent of your position relative to the thing... unless you're tilting the machine when you do lat pulls...

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
On lat bar no lean. But with a triangle handle I lean back to pull it into my sternum.

phasar

Awards
  • Established
Nope, the force on the cable is always the same, independent of your position relative to the thing... unless you're tilting the machine when you do lat pulls...
totally agree with rocket scientist. no matter how u cut it "simple physics" tells you the force is the same. its just when you lean back, the weight can be distributed to other muscles for some help. a.k.a. cheating.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, after I think about it, the tension in the cable is always equal to the weight (if I break it down over each of the "wheels".)

Anyway - my point was that leaning back is cheating. I just didn't say it correctly.

phasar

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, after I think about it, the tension in the cable is always equal to the weight (if I break it down over each of the "wheels".)

Anyway - my point was that leaning back is cheating. I just didn't say it correctly.
mate: u r absolutely positively the most correct man on the face of this planet if you give me some rep points.

and the most handsome too

Shock133

Awards
With the heavier weights I lean back slightly but keep it controlled. When using a v-bar (close grip) then I lean back farther, still keeping good form, to hit a different angle. The bar never touches any part of me except my hands. It's very similar to how Fly described it.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

phasar

Awards
  • Established
One opinion: http://www.ast-ss.com/training/exercises/execution.asp?bp=Back&pn=2
Another from Harvard:
http://home.caregroup.org/BIDMCtoday/2003march/bewell.html
And you are really trying to tell me that a lat pulldown with a lean is cheating?
The only way you can get a full contraction is to lean, unless you have a vbar, or doing a full pull-up hence negating the need for wide grip lat pull downs. And lastly Charles Poliquin:
http://www.beyondmass.com/forums/showthread/t-1043.html
well, i have no argument there. i've never ever thought about NOT leaning back ever since i ever touched a weight.

i have not double confirmed, but i think the trainers point at the gym is that my traps are too small relative to every other muscle. & he feels that by me locking the traps and not leaning back when working the lats for the time being is most beneficial for me at this point

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Oh def, that I can understand, you can build traps with deads, and when you do not lean back you do hit traps, keep it going bro.

phasar

Awards
  • Established
Oh def, that I can understand, you can build traps with deads, and when you do not lean back you do hit traps, keep it going bro.
thanks for the support!! i will have big traps one day, i will!

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
My traps are too big in proportion and because of my posture/spinal alignment they end up doing a lot during several back excercises. This is one reason I have been slanting more to tap the lower lats more.

Apower is correct, deads..especially with a modified shrug at the top are the way to go.

NiteHawk

Awards
I have a slight lean back but not too much or it takes the stress off the lats. I like to have the bar touch the top of my upper chest or very close, this way I know I got a full contraction.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
slight lean, bring down to chin level. i can't even touch my chest with 10lbs on the bar. none of that rocking back and forth bullsh!t though.

remarc

Awards
I am asking here as I didnt want to start a new thread just for my particular problem. Well, due to my genetics, my lats are very short. Trouble is I am pretty tall (over 6') and I look long bodied and lack that V-shape given by lats that starts right "from" the waist.
Can you guys please help me with some advices on what exercises should I incorporate and focus on in my training routine to develop especially the lower area of my latissimus dorsi and medium back as well?

Hope I made myself understood...and I d appreciate very much your help.

Thanks!

phasar

Awards
  • Established
I am asking here as I didnt want to start a new thread just for my particular problem. Well, due to my genetics, my lats are very short. Trouble is I am pretty tall (over 6') and I look long bodied and lack that V-shape given by lats that starts right "from" the waist.
Can you guys please help me with some advices on what exercises should I incorporate and focus on in my training routine to develop especially the lower area of my latissimus dorsi and medium back as well?

Hope I made myself understood...and I d appreciate very much your help.

Thanks!
can u do dumbell bent over rows. the one where your body is parallel to the bench, and you bring the dumbell up to right about where your waist is. by medium back, do u mean rhomboid and surrounding area or do you still mean latissimus but just in the middle of.....

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
TUT wide grip chins have worked my lats like no other. I keep my chest high and feet crossed and slightly out front - I suppose I'm leaning back a bit.

remarc

Awards
Phasar, I meant the lower area of my lats...of course, I wouldnt mind some extra rhomboides...lol...

Anyway, just for you guys to make an idea on how my lats look like on my body..uhmmm...let me try a comparison with a pro...lol...i am talking muscle shape and nothing else of course...do you remember how Paul Dillet lats used to seem smaller compared to his other bodyparts especially from behind...Long body, short lats....well, that would be my problem too!

Big Vrunga, how many sets and reps of those chin ups? You do them every back training or change the exercise and do close grip or neutral grip or pull downs from time to time? To tell you the truth, I am kinda weak at chin ups and pull ups...I am lacking a good strength in my arms when performing those and that makes me finish the exercise before really hitting the lats....Any advice on that?

Thank you, guys, for your patience! I appeciate it! Right now I am going back searching the forum for more lats training tips ;)

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Big Vrunga, how many sets and reps of those chin ups? You do them every back training or change the exercise and do close grip or neutral grip or pull downs from time to time? To tell you the truth, I am kinda weak at chin ups and pull ups...I am lacking a good strength in my arms when performing those and that makes me finish the exercise before really hitting the lats....Any advice on that?
Hi Remarc,

Lately Ive been hitting them as wide as possible to bring out the upper lats - but generally Ill alternate grips and widths, etc.

If you can't do a lot of chinups, try this:

Make it chins your first exercise. Your goal is 30 total reps. Do as many sets as it takes to get to 30, with about 60 seconds rest inbetween each set. At first you might do something like 10,8,6,3,2,1 - but keep working at it until you can hit 3 good sets of 10 reps. When you can, start adding weight.

You can also try to use straps if your grip keeps failing, it certainly helps on really slow reps.

There's also those 'reverse gravity' chinup/dip stations where you stand on a weighted platform that will take x amount of pounds off your bodyweight. You might want to give that a try too.

BV

remarc

Awards
Wow, man..you were fast! Thanks again! Great forum! Tons of info! Keep up the good work! ;)

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
TUT wide grip chins have worked my lats like no other. I keep my chest high and feet crossed and slightly out front - I suppose I'm leaning back a bit.

Do you mean pullups or chinups? If its pullups I do them this way as well :) Its the only exercise I do were the muscle group being worked starts to give out before my grip does. I like em...

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
pullups = palms facing
chinups = palms away?

In that case I meant chinups - but I also love close grip pullup for bis and lower lats!

BV

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I like to sit up straight, and draw my shoulders back, and pull straight down....

However, a "facepull' is essentially a pulldown done from about a 45 degree layed back position, and pulled toward the face with wide grip or rope. I do these aswell, and I tend to feel them working my lats more so then the regular pulldowns.

JeepASaurus

Awards
Hey, I frequently like to throw behind-the-necks into my shoulder days, albeit not during an all-out set. No more soreness than would be expected with any other shoulder exercise. That being said, I started them out relatively light, and have not had rotator cuff problems in the past. Probably if I did, I would approach shoulders differently. All I'm saying is that there can be a place for them depending on what you are trying to do, and whether or not you have any pre-existing issues. Squats are like that. Overall, about the best compund exercise ever invented, for most people. Some people have conditions which prevent them from squatting. With weight training, I don't think one size usually fits all.

I do pulldowns in many angles, as I do pull ups first which are the best IMO, in any event leaning back hits the lower lats, bringing out the Cobra,alot more than straight up, mimic while sitting down or, next time watch the big guys doing it, and see if they do not have a wide back. But overall thickness should go to the Deadlift, as I feel it from my traps to my erectors to my buttocks to my hammys. Plus I don't listen to guys in my gym-UNLESS they look better than me, or I see the mechanics of the movement clearly, and it makes sense, after all we now know behind the neck presses really stress or rotator cuff, but yet I still see clueless *******s doing it, and wondering why they are sore, and complaining they are getting old.
Just check out who is giving you advice, and their body chances are if you look better than you- they have better gear, or they work hard, or both, but if they look less than you, or look the same year round- blah-blah-blah.

usmceric

Awards
I do variations on the puldown.....I am a small guy so heavier weight I tend to lean back more. My lats are still sore the next day, so I must be doing something right. Although I do do them the correct way with light weight for the burn....

moflika

Awards
Looks like everyone here brings the bar to the front. By bringing the bar down to the back of my neck while doing wide grip lat pulldowns have I been working something completely different or is it just not as good?

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
Looks like everyone here brings the bar to the front. By bringing the bar down to the back of my neck while doing wide grip lat pulldowns have I been working something completely different or is it just not as good?
No, you're still working your back, but you're also putting your rotator cuffs under a lot of strain. That's why so many guys do pulldowns to the front, to save their rotators.

moflika

Awards
I see, thats good to know. Pulling down to the front always seemed so much harder. O well, looks like its time to lower the weight.

phasar

Awards
  • Established
alright, it's been two months since i started this thread, so i just thought i would give an update.

i feel that you should slant back when pulling down. when i don't slant, the traps are getting more work. it seems that they have been getting way too much work especially since i am not on a cycle of anything right now. i think that the only person that should NOT slant back is someone who already has big chunks of traps without definition who wants to make them look more defined.

my muscles are so overworked right now, it took 3 days to recover from swimming in the ocean. i'll be going back to a standard push-pull 2 day/wk. routine, and only doing close grip bench presses to replace military delt & any form of delt work.

would not recommend NOT slanting on the lat pulldown to anyone. only thing to keep in mind is don't swing back as your slanting back.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I dunno if this was already mentioned, but you guys should try sitting backwards on a lat pulldown machine, so your back is resting against where you put your legs under, and THEN pull the weight down to your chest with your back kept straight, it's a direct line with your lats, and you can really squeeze them incredibly hard.

CarterMalone

CarterMalone

Awards
I think leaning back the whole way is good. It seems to target a larger area of the back and lats, instead of just the rear delts.

You know when you squeeze a muscle during an exercise to get it to work harder and pump larger, how else can you do that during chinups without arching your back and sticking your chest upwards.

Its proper form.

Variocam

Variocam

Awards
I cheat on all my db rows and wide lat pulldowns and my back is my best part.

I try to make the movement as explosive as possible. I usually do the negatives slowly and explode with a bit of cheat on the positives.

My lats always feel sore and pumped so its obviously doing something.

LSU Gladiator

LSU Gladiator

Awards
On the lat pull down there should be no (or very little so that you don't scrape your face) slant, pull the bar straight down to the chest.

When you bend back the exercise becomes more like a row, only actual rows do a better job of working what you're unintentionally working.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
i tilt back slightly so that it's comfortable, and don't really cheat too much. i've found i get the best results doing these slow and controlled with a hold at the bottom of about a second or so

Firsttofight

Firsttofight

Awards
I like to sit up straight, and draw my shoulders back, and pull straight down....

However, a "facepull' is essentially a pulldown done from about a 45 degree layed back position, and pulled toward the face with wide grip or rope. I do these aswell, and I tend to feel them working my lats more so then the regular pulldowns.
I concur with the first statement. But what really matters is what works best for you. And if that is cheating then so be it. I also agree with Variocam regarding cheating on db rows. Explosiveness with heavy weight and a side of cheating with db rows is what creates the most growth for my lat's.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
It's fine to slant, so long as you keep that slant throughout the entire motion.. None of this momentum crap.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
The guys using the 'cheating' term derogatorily are usually the tiny wimps who are just hating.

ManInTheBox

ManInTheBox

Awards

turn around, let's see a lat spread...

keyrock24

keyrock24

Awards
I pull the bar straight down .After reaDing this thread I got a few ideals about improving my lat workout .I like the ideal about doing close grip lat pull downs with facing me .I had to try it out and went over to my lat pull down set-up and gave it try .Still pulling straight down .BigVrunga gave me idea in his post about doing pullups and his other post about alternating his grips and widths .I don't have a lat pull down machine .Currently I use 2 woodys #2 bands and 2 #3 bands at the same time .I just hang them over a support post for the railing from my upstairs ..It coincidently is is directly in the middle of my dining room door way .I have to stand in a chair to reach the bar which is a old tubular standard weight bar .It is a cheap set-up until I can come up with a real lat pull down attachment of some type .I do 5 sets of 10 reps .The bands are some what different than using a weight stack lat machine but at the bottom it still works the the same muscles .I thought I would add that last part about my set-up for people who work out at home like I do in case it might help some other people like myself that does not have the money for a lat machine and no close by gym access .