Speed Training anyone

Bildo_21

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I was wondering if anyone knew any good sprinting drills/weight training pograms that worked well to improve speed? Or any tools they used to help get them through a pleatue?

DL king

Awards
Speed for what? As in you want to be more explosive for powerlifting or you want to be able to run fast?

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I would think squats and leg presses would aid in your speed. Although I think the best training for this would be a sled or that type of resistance training (if a sled is avialable to you)

peterson24

Awards
  • Established
westside training for skinny bastards claims it can do this.

Bildo_21

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I was just looking for some weight training exercises or running drills i could do right now the 40 is about a mid 4.5, and the 60 is low 6.4. I need things for the 1st 10-20 yarsd thats where im hurting. My 100 meter tim is in the low 11's high 10's.

peterson24

Awards
  • Established
I was just looking for some weight training exercises or running drills i could do right now the 40 is about a mid 4.5, and the 60 is low 6.4. I need things for the 1st 10-20 yarsd thats where im hurting. My 100 meter tim is in the low 11's high 10's.
do a google search for "westside for skinny bastards" there is a ton of stuff in there. I would definitly read it. It has a linear speed day, agility day, weights on others, etc.

a lot of football guys do the program to improve their 40 time.

Bildo_21

Banned
Awards
  • Established
thanks peterson. I'll take a look at what they got later 2day

BigJ81

Awards
do a google search for "westside for skinny bastards" there is a ton of stuff in there. I would definitly read it. It has a linear speed day, agility day, weights on others, etc.

a lot of football guys do the program to improve their 40 time.
^^^What this guy said...also remember to do a lot of power exercises and core work i.e. power cleans, hangs, snatches (if you have good form), deads, squats, box squats...and run some stairs, and then just run 10's and 40's in general...hope that helps, peace!

Petey P

Bildo_21

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thanks I ran a 4.49 2day. Almost back to the 4.42 i ran last year only this time i am 20lbs. heavier. I am going to try the stairs this week to see how it helps. Thanks Big J

ftballskolar

Awards
i am currently training for my 40 yard dash time and i am also a solid 4.4 guy but i am trying to get into the 4.3's by the end of this summer. what i do for speed is, in this order, fast feet movements on stairs or flat ground for turnover, then i do a lot of plyos for explosion both single leg and two leg plyos, then i sprint with a sled 4x20 yards then 4x40 yards then i do overspeed with a bunji pulling me for 60 yards and i do that 2 times. from there i left weights, power or hang cleans, sinlge leg squats, lunges, deadlifts and RDL's....do this twice a week and i'm sure youll see huge improvements.