Lagging Chest.. suggestions?

hardgainer21

Awards
right now it seems ive been bulking in every area of my body but my chest... just wondering about some workout tips to gain more mass there, cause im starting to look a little funny: my chest workout is as follows. (sometimes i vary my exersizes ie dumbell flat bench instead of with the straight bar, and i do that with all exercises)

1) flat bench:
135 x 8 reps (warm up)
225lbs X 8 reps (3sets)
135 X as many reps as possible (superset)

2) Incline dumbell press
80lbs each hand, 8 reps, 3 sets
supersetting each set with 40lbs 8 reps

3) Peck flys 200lbs 8 reps superset with 100lbs 8 reps
3 sets of that

4) *sometimes* Decline bench press
175 lbs 3 sets x 8 reps

i am gaining weight so its not my diet... im just wondering what i can do to get my chest to catch up to the rest of my body! thanks guys:run:

Foster

Awards
Is that still your chest work out? How long have you been doing that? Maybe you should ease up on the super sets and do some straight sets for a while.

One thing I started doing recently that's helped my chest grow, I start with inclined presses. Something somenoe said, I think David Henry, do you ever see anyone whose upper chest is overdeveloped? With that in mind I always hit the upper chest first and then do flat bench and flys.

Do you do chest on a day of their own?

I think you need to switch it up definitely.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Is that still your chest work out? How long have you been doing that? Maybe you should ease up on the super sets and do some straight sets for a while.

One thing I started doing recently that's helped my chest grow, I start with inclined presses. Something somenoe said, I think David Henry, do you ever see anyone whose upper chest is overdeveloped? With that in mind I always hit the upper chest first and then do flat bench and flys.

Do you do chest on a day of their own?

I think you need to switch it up definitely.
thats a good idea to start with incline bb, i think im gonna start doing that, and its not as hard on the RC

Bildo_21

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yea i hear you hardgainer, I have a hard time putting size on my chest as well. Like foster mentioned i started with incline first and did wonders for my chest i now have full seperation all the way to my collar bones, but i'm stil haveing truocle developing my lower chest. My chest workout is
Incline BB: 2 warm up sets
4 sets @ 12,10,8,8
Flat BB:
5 sets @ 12,10,8,8,6
Flat Bench Flys:
5 sets @12,12,10,10,8,8
*Where should i throw in decline (if needed) and what should i drop?

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
question do your shoulders/tris burn when you do chest, or do you have well developed shoulders/tris. maybe they are taking the brunt of the load, i have this problem and have great front delts but a poor lower chest. I think the problem is not from the exercise but he form or mechanics of your body and its strong/weaker points.

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
question do your shoulders/tris burn when you do chest, or do you have well developed shoulders/tris. maybe they are taking the brunt of the load, i have this problem and have great front delts but a poor lower chest. I think the problem is not from the exercise but he form or mechanics of your body and its strong/weaker points.
This could definitely be a huge thing. When your doing your exercises, focus on the stretching of the muscle(s) in question, the chest area.

You could also try using a TUT technique.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Yea i hear you hardgainer, I have a hard time putting size on my chest as well. Like foster mentioned i started with incline first and did wonders for my chest i now have full seperation all the way to my collar bones, but i'm stil haveing truocle developing my lower chest. My chest workout is
Incline BB: 2 warm up sets
4 sets @ 12,10,8,8
Flat BB:
5 sets @ 12,10,8,8,6
Flat Bench Flys:
5 sets @12,12,10,10,8,8
*Where should i throw in decline (if needed) and what should i drop?
well any time you wanna bring up a lagging group there are a few options. 1)do the group first in your rotation , after rest days 2) concentrate on the lagging part as the other parts are still getting plenty of work. eg declines x 3, dips x 3, incline 3) alter form, regaurdless of excersise you can find a way to use your strong points. 4) drop the weight an practice the movements and squeezing the weak part to get it pre exausted without a load. then adding the load it has no choice but to be worked and the rest of the muscle group as a result get a great workout.

Last edited:
somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
This could definitely be a huge thing. When your doing your exercises, focus on the stretching of the muscle(s) in question, the chest area.

You could also try using a TUT technique.
Ah nice one, maybe your not streching the lower chest as well when your streching and it growth is hindered as a result.
give it a try doing extra lower chest streches. I do these by standing by a corner or door frame and holding the wall 6" or so above shoulder height and turn awayas well as push forward and drop, creating a plane where your arm pulls away from the lowest point of your chest.

Bildo_21

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ah nice one, maybe your not streching the lower chest as well when your streching and it growth is hindered as a result.
give it a try doing extra lower chest streches. I do these by standing by a corner or door frame and holding the wall 6" or so above shoulder height and turn awayas well as push forward and drop, creating a plane where your arm pulls away from the lowest point of your chest.
What about doing decline DB presses and going super deep, would that help the lower chest or just hurt my shoulders

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
What about doing decline DB presses and going super deep, would that help the lower chest or just hurt my shoulders
the only way to tell is to try it but be sure your nice and warm before you do any unprecidented streches under weight or your at risk for tear/ strain injury. start at very low weight and be sure to do this in combination with streches. as for the shoulder injury part this is completely individual, i like deep DB presses and dont have shoulder probs.

Last edited:

Bildo_21

Banned
Awards
  • Established
the only way to tell is to try it but be sure your nice and warm before you do any unprecidented streches under weight or your at risk for tear/ strain injury. start at very low weight and be sure to do this in combination with streches. as for the shoulder injury part this is completely individual, i like deep DB presses and dont have shoulder probs.
Ill try this sunday, and by the way yes i always do chest after a rest day. Maybe this will be my new workout
Incline BB 2 warm up sets
3 working sets:12,10,8
Incline DB: 1 set of 8-10
Flat BB bench: 3 sets:12,10,8
Flat DB bench: 2 sets 10,8
Decline DB: 3 sets 12,10,8
3 sets of flys incline,flat,decline @ 10 reps

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Ill try this sunday, and by the way yes i always do chest after a rest day. Maybe this will be my new workout
Incline BB 2 warm up sets
3 working sets:12,10,8
Incline DB: 1 set of 8-10
Flat BB bench: 3 sets:12,10,8
Flat DB bench: 2 sets 10,8
Decline DB: 3 sets 12,10,8
3 sets of flys incline,flat,decline @ 10 reps
Give it a try, personnally id move the decline up to the front as your shoulders/tris will be fatigued and hamper your ability to hit your lower chest hard. I like your usage or the staple movements with a blend of DB BB. weight assisted dips are great to focus on lower chest.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
right now it seems ive been bulking in every area of my body but my chest... just wondering about some workout tips to gain more mass there, cause im starting to look a little funny: my chest workout is as follows. (sometimes i vary my exersizes ie dumbell flat bench instead of with the straight bar, and i do that with all exercises)
I too was having a problem getting my chest to respond...before I started using the hammer strength machines. I usually like to choose two of the three chest machines (incline press, iso press, and decline press(doesn't have the hs flat bench)) and then I grab the DBs and do some flys. I probably just stopped gaining from doing the same stuff all of the time and these machines helped to break some plateaus. Good luck.

edit: I just noticed how old the original post was...oh well.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Training Forum 17
zcol94 Training Forum 24
justdoit40 Training Forum 14
Danimozz Training Forum 16
tilldeath Training Forum 10