Lifting when sick??

kickit

Awards
I searched for something on this topic and could find nothing. So my question is it okay to go to the gym and lift if you are sick? Some people say it is okay, some people say yiou should stay home and rest. What do you guys think? I know alot of you are serious BB and atheltes and i know you guys dont want to loose anything by staying ou tof the gym so what do you guys do when you are sick? Thanks in advance.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wouldn't lift when I was sick, but that is just IMO..You are gonna lose more going to the gym when you are sick then staying at home and getting better...

rocketscientist

Awards
It actually can be dangerous and you can end up with pneumonia or myocarditis (worst cases of course, but nonetheless has happened.). But of course it depends on how sick you are?

There are a lot of articles out there - just google 'exercising' and 'common cold' and you'll get a bunch to pick from....

gten79

Awards
I always know I had a good workout when I throw up during or after my workout.....does anybody feel the same????:hammer:

myfathersboy

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't lift when I was sick, but that is just IMO..You are gonna lose more going to the gym when you are sick then staying at home and getting better...
Agree completely...plus do you really want to be responsible for getting everybody else in your gym sick too? I've got enough **** on my conscience....

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
If I have a leg workout and fall down the stairs afterwards... then I'm POSITIVE it was good.

I always know I had a good workout when I throw up during or after my workout.....does anybody feel the same????:hammer:

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Although I would NEVER advise it; On more then 1 occasion, when I have been sick (especially if Im a little feverish from whatever it is) I have gone to the gym, and the next day I generally feel better.
I mean, when you think about it I guess, your fevering because your body is using energy, and raising it's temperature to kill bacteria. As long as I dont over do it I usually feel better afterwards.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
we all know the important roles glutamine plays in our bodies, being sick severly limits our glutamine supply and may (probably) hinder recovery as a result. I think as a common rule any sinus related sickness is ok to work out but when you have a cold in your lungs you need to recover first. So above the neck ok and below the neck rest, thats what i do as i take chest colds a little more seriously and usually feel more worn out already. thats just me
this link does some explanation to glutamines role in immune function, i usually add glutamine to help recovery when sick and it seems to work.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
3.4 What happens to a cycle when I get sick?
---------------------------------------------
Most people get sick at some stage during the year
and whether it be a cold or flu, or worse, DO NOT work out while
you are sick. For your own sake (your illness will get worse if your
body can't pool its resources to fight it if it's trying to recover
from heavy squatting) and for others' (passing illnesses on in the
gym is a major NO-NO for obvious reasons).

But say you are only sick for 1-2 days, then what
do you do? It's a good idea to start with 5-7 days of complete rest
to ensure the illness is really gone. Then take 2 weeks to get back
to your before-illness poundages (one week at 90% and one at 95%).

If you are sick for longer, or you feel very drained
or tired after your illness, then take 7-10 days off, and start your
cycle over again. If you made any gains, then you have new 'easy'
percentages to calculate. If you were still in the 'recovery' phase,
then stay with the same percentages when you start over.

got this from this site

Over-training

If you over-train, you won't grow. In fact, you risk losing muscle mass if you chronically over-train. Over-training can be the result of a number of things. If you train too frequently and don't give your muscles enough time to repair themselves you're progress will stagnant and you'll get frustrated. If you subject yourself to two-hour marathon lifting sessions you're not going to see any growth because you're dishing out more than you can take. Steroid users can get away with these kind of lengthy workouts, but natural athletes should train smarter not longer. Certain symptoms should be warning lights that you're over-training. Ask yourself: do you have a hard time staying awake in the middle of the day? Are you getting sick more frequently or do you have a harder than normal time shaking a cold or illness? If any of these were yes, then you need to reexamine your training schedule and allow for more rest. Going to the gym when you are tired to begin with is counterproductive. You should be tired when you leave not when you come in.

from here

TenMan

TenMan

Awards
Define "sick"...

Personally, if I have a fever, explosive diahrrea, or projectile vomitting I stay at home. Most other symptoms (cough, sore throat, runny nose, sneezing, etc) I go to the gym. BUT I have a personal gym and lift alone so I don't worry as much about making others sick. Where someone in a public gym doesn't want a person sneezing all over the squat rack.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
So above the neck ok and below the neck rest, thats what i do as i take chest colds a little more seriously and usually feel more worn out already
I think this is what your asking, sinus issues are minor, but when your cardio system is sick you need to rest up a bit first. but hey im no doc.