Please help

Toby

Awards
Hi all. Im 6ft3 inches tall and am 16 years old. I weigh only 11 and a half stone, and so decided to start going to the gym in order to beef up. While i have had success in building up my pectorals and shoulders, my biceps are lagging behind.

Im not sure if this is due to overtraining or what. I have changed my routine more times then i can remember but am still not getting increases in strength or size. My current bicep workout is as follows;

30 barbell curls (v light weight)
12 (light weight)
8 (moderate weight)
6 (highest weight i can handle)

Preacher curls, 3 sets of 12 on each arm

Hammer curls, 1 set of 12 on each arm

incline dumbell curls 12 reps heavy weight then lighter weight till failure

'Up the rack' 3 reps, highest weight can handle, then 6 with the weight down from that, etc. till i get all the way down to the 2lb weights doing about 30 reps :icon_lol:

I like this workout because its gives me a 'pump' and feel like i have worked them hard. I workout with the following split

Tricep/chest
Bicep/shoulder
2 days rest then begin again.

I am taking creatine monohydrate and Whey protein supplements. Why arent my biceps growing? :wtf:

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Dude at 16 you can do this one thing to help your training... DO A SEARCH !!! There is an Excercise Science section on this forum bro, not to flame but be smart and get the answers for yourself...

Toby

Awards
Done a stupid amount of searching on google etc. for answers to my problems and cant really find anything on science forum to help me. Also first visit this site so i didnt really know where to look.... :type:

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
Dude, just forget the curls. Do more compound lifts (deads, squats, bench, etc.) Try building the overall mass of your arms first. The exercises you are doing are only isolating your bi's. Im sure if you search on here, you will find more than enough info. You really need to get some legs in there too.

Toby

Awards
Ok got ya, i do a fair amount of benching, although i thought that only helped my pecs and not so much arms. Il drop down the curls as they give defenition which iv got, but no real mass which i want :aargh: Any good reccomendations for mass building excercises for the arms as a whole?

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Hey Toby,

Welcome. I know it can be frustrating when you don't have anyone you can ask in person. Here is a GREAT workout program which will give you maximum size. It is not exciting but it DOES work, I promise.

Believe it or not heavy squats will help your arms grow.

Do 3 sets of each exercise resting 2 minutes between sets and 5 minutes between exercises.

Mon

Chest shoulders tris

slight incline bench
Seated BB press
close grip bench press.

Wed

Back, and Bis

Lat Pull Down
BB row
BB curl

Fri

Legs and abs

Squats
Leg Curls
Standing Calf Raise
Crunches

Best of luck and keep at it.

CROWLER

Toby

Awards
Ok thx for advice. Il try that workout you suggested although it will be abit of a shock to do so few excersises. Is that really enough to workout your whole upper body effectively?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
?!?!?!?!?!

Shhhhhhhhh the kid is doing 100 sets for bis and none for legs how else we gonna get him to work his legs. :twisted:

CROWLER

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
oh.oh.....yeah.

I just forgot.

It works great :D

(bob reminds himself to read the posts next time)

Toby

Awards
How dare you crawler :trout: lol. I dont work legs because i do alot of sport at national level and they get built up that way, but am out for alot of months due to hamstring tear. For mass on the arms is the 'Arm bike' machine any good?