My new cardio idea...am I crazy???

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
I have been reading how the body continues to burn calories for hours after doing cardio.

Well I am expierimenting...I have a treadmill and an Eliptical in my office. So 5 days a week I am going to do 6 minutes of cardio every hour, or just about. 36 minutes total, I want to see the fat burn effects that will come from this. My thought is that my body will allways be cranking and thermogenesis will be extrememly elevated.

Today is day 2...I have way to much time on my hands...:blink:

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Only you would think of this...
REFRIED CARDIO training now yours for only 29.99 Refried will tell you how to burn fat 24 hours a day...:rofl:
will stay tuned...

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
Quit hatin!

Just wait ill I am 4% in a few weeks we will see who's laughing then.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Not hating bro, I will seriously stay tuned...

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like a morphed interval/HIT workout. Try it out and let us know.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I don't have anything to back this, but based on experience, I think you need to work more than 6 min. to get the afterburn effect. Maybe 15 min every 2 hours would be better.

But by all means, experiment and let us know how it goes.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
I do 1 hour a day,3 mins heavy, 1 min light, intervel training.....well cardio, treadmill and cross trainer....

good luck..:)

chevelleman

Awards
I don't have anything to back this, but based on experience, I think you need to work more than 6 min. to get the afterburn effect. Maybe 15 min every 2 hours would be better.
I'm with Beowulf on this one if you bump it up to 10 or 15 every two hours or maybe if oyu could even squeeze in 10 every hour that would probably do the trick if you are really going hard. I am really interested in seeing how this goes. BTW refried what kind of job allows you the kind of time to do this? I need to find something like that.

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yea i think beo hit it on the head with this one. Good idea tho i shall stay tuned and gl!

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I agree with Beo. I don't think you'll get most of the metabolic processes moving with only 6 minutes, even doing it 10 times per day.

The Godfather

Awards
I have been reading how the body continues to burn calories for hours after doing cardio.

Well I am expierimenting...I have a treadmill and an Eliptical in my office. So 5 days a week I am going to do 6 minutes of cardio every hour, or just about. 36 minutes total, I want to see the fat burn effects that will come from this. My thought is that my body will allways be cranking and thermogenesis will be extrememly elevated.

Today is day 2...I have way to much time on my hands...:blink:
The extra energy you are referring to is called Excess Post-Exercise Oxygen Consuption or EPOC for short. It is only significant after about 20 minutes of high intensity of exercise which is anaerobic and therefore the body requires extra oxygen after the exercise to continue the metabolism of by products produced during the exercise. A pubmed search on exercise and epoc will pull up quite a few studies.

To the thread starter you are going to get a lot more bangfor your buck doing 20 minutes of HIIT 3-4 times/week

Brennon

Awards
EPOC depends entirely upon the mode of exercise and the intensity. Cardio isn't so great in regards to EPOC...lifting on the other increases oxygen consumption for over 24 hours.

The extra energy you are referring to is called Excess Post-Exercise Oxygen Consuption or EPOC for short. It is only significant after about 20 minutes of high intensity of exercise which is anaerobic and therefore the body requires extra oxygen after the exercise to continue the metabolism of by products produced during the exercise. A pubmed search on exercise and epoc will pull up quite a few studies.

To the thread starter you are going to get a lot more bangfor your buck doing 20 minutes of HIIT 3-4 times/week

Brennon

Awards
ARTICLES

Effect of duration of exercise on excess postexercise O2 consumption

R. Bahr, I. Ingnes, O. Vaage, O. M. Sejersted and E. A. Newsholme
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]This study was undertaken to determine the effect of exercise duration on the time course and magnitude of excess postexercise O2 consumption (EPOC). Six healthy male subjects exercised on separate days for 80, 40, and 20 min at 70% of maximal O2 consumption on a cycle ergometer. A control experiment without exercise was performed. O2 uptake, respiratory exchange ratio (R), and rectal temperature were monitored while the subjects rested in bed 24 h postexercise. An increase in O2 uptake lasting 12 h was observed for all exercise durations, but no increase was seen after 24 h. The magnitude of 12-h EPOC was proportional to exercise duration and equaled 14.4 +/- 1.2, 6.8 +/- 1.7, and 5.1 +/- 1.2% after 80, 40, and 20 min of exercise, respectively. On the average, 12-h EPOC equaled 15.2 +/- 2.0% of total exercise O2 consumption (EOC). There was no difference in EPOC:EOC for different exercise durations. A linear decrease with exercise duration was observed in R between 2 and 24 h postexercise. No change was observed in recovery rectal temperature. It is concluded that EPOC increases linearly with exercise duration at a work intensity of 70% of maximal O2 consumption.

: Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1992 Jan;24(1):66-71.Related Articles, Links

[SIZE=+1]Effect of supramaximal exercise on excess postexercise O2 consumption.[/SIZE]

Bahr R, Gronnerod O, Sejersted OM.

Department of Physiology, National Institute of Occupational Health, Oslo, Norway.

This study was undertaken to determine the effect of high intensity exercise on the time course and magnitude of excess postexercise O2 consumption (EPOC). Six healthy male subjects performed three intermittent 2-min exercise bouts on a cycle ergometer at 108% of VO2max with 3-min rest periods (3 x 2 min). O2 uptake, blood lactate, plasma catecholamines, and rectal temperature were measured while the subjects rested in bed for 14 h postexercise, and the results were compared with those of an identical control experiment without exercise. In addition, they were studied on two separate days for 2 h after only two (2 x 2 min) or one (1 x 2 min) exercise bout. O2 uptake was significantly increased for 4 h after 3 x 2 min exercise, for 60 min after 2 x 2 min, and for 30 min after 1 x 2 min exercise. EPOC was 5.6 +/- 0.41 (1 x 2 min), 6.7 +/- 0.41 (2 x 2 min), and 16.3 +/- 3.01 (3 x 2 min), respectively. Over the first hour postexercise, EPOC was linearly related to the change in blood lactate and plasma norepinephrine. However, after exhaustive supramaximal exercise O2 consumption was significantly increased for 4 h, whereas blood lactate and plasma norepinephrine concentrations were significantly increased for only 2 h.

Sports Med. 2003;33(14):1037-60.Related Articles, Links

[SIZE=+1]Effect of exercise intensity, duration and mode on post-exercise oxygen consumption.[/SIZE]

Borsheim E, Bahr R.

Norwegian University of Sport and Physical Education, Oslo, Norway. [email protected]

In the recovery period after exercise there is an increase in oxygen uptake termed the 'excess post-exercise oxygen consumption' (EPOC), consisting of a rapid and a prolonged component. While some studies have shown that EPOC may last for several hours after exercise, others have concluded that EPOC is transient and minimal. The conflicting results may be resolved if differences in exercise intensity and duration are considered, since this may affect the metabolic processes underlying EPOC. Accordingly, the absence of a sustained EPOC after exercise seems to be a consistent finding in studies with low exercise intensity and/or duration. The magnitude of EPOC after aerobic exercise clearly depends on both the duration and intensity of exercise. A curvilinear relationship between the magnitude of EPOC and the intensity of the exercise bout has been found, whereas the relationship between exercise duration and EPOC magnitude appears to be more linear, especially at higher intensities. Differences in exercise mode may potentially contribute to the discrepant findings of EPOC magnitude and duration. Studies with sufficient exercise challenges are needed to determine whether various aerobic exercise modes affect EPOC differently. The relationships between the intensity and duration of resistance exercise and the magnitude and duration of EPOC have not been determined, but a more prolonged and substantial EPOC has been found after hard- versus moderate-resistance exercise. Thus, the intensity of resistance exercise seems to be of importance for EPOC. Lastly, training status and sex may also potentially influence EPOC magnitude, but this may be problematic to determine. Still, it appears that trained individuals have a more rapid return of post-exercise metabolism to resting levels after exercising at either the same relative or absolute work rate; however, studies after more strenuous exercise bouts are needed. It is not determined if there is a sex effect on EPOC. Finally, while some of the mechanisms underlying the more rapid EPOC are well known (replenishment of oxygen stores, adenosine triphosphate/creatine phosphate resynthesis, lactate removal, and increased body temperature, circulation and ventilation), less is known about the mechanisms underlying the prolonged EPOC component. A sustained increased circulation, ventilation and body temperature may contribute, but the cost of this is low. An increased rate of triglyceride/fatty acid cycling and a shift from carbohydrate to fat as substrate source are of importance for the prolonged EPOC component after exhaustive aerobic exercise. Little is known about the mechanisms underlying EPOC after resistance exercise.

Brennon

Awards
Based on the second study, 6 minutes looks like it's perfect to get the desired results. 3 x 2 minutes bouts increased EPOC for 4 hours. Just make sure it's intense.

The Godfather

Awards
Based on the second study, 6 minutes looks like it's perfect to get the desired results. 3 x 2 minutes bouts increased EPOC for 4 hours. Just make sure it's intense.
Yeah to elicit such favourable effetcs it has to be supramaximal so it's going to be pretty gruelling.

Also I completely agree that resisitanc eexercise is ht ebest way of icnreasing EPOC and therefore REE following the exercise.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
The thing is, at least based on my experience, you can't just jump into high intensity anything. I learned from way too many injuries. Whenever I did HIIT in the past I would always warm up for at least 5 minutes. So that extends the time that he would need to invest.

With short bursts, the intensity definitely needs to be high. Even going at a decent pace, it takes at least 10-15 minutes for my pulse to get above 100bpm. Of course, I have a naturally low pulse (resting <60), but I think the point is still valid. It takes time to get heartrate up, and you need to warm up before high intensity.

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I would like ot see the results from this experiment.

The Godfather

Awards
The thing is, at least based on my experience, you can't just jump into high intensity anything. I learned from way too many injuries. Whenever I did HIIT in the past I would always warm up for at least 5 minutes. So that extends the time that he would need to invest.

With short bursts, the intensity definitely needs to be high. Even going at a decent pace, it takes at least 10-15 minutes for my pulse to get above 100bpm. Of course, I have a naturally low pulse (resting <60), but I think the point is still valid. It takes time to get heartrate up, and you need to warm up before high intensity.
Yeah I do agree Beowulf you can't go from resting HR to 90 odd % very quickly so a warmup is necessary to get the blood flowing and also it is needed to keep the joints sane as is some stretching