How much protein do you take after your workout?

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
For years, I've been under the impression that the body can only use 30 grams or so at one time.. So after my workouts, I take in 30 grams.. Am I cheating myself? Can I be taking 50 grams or would I be throwing money out the window?

Also, how much protein do you take in 30 minutes or so before you train?

Thanks...

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
1 scoop (20g-24g depending on brand) with 1/2 cup of oats before.

2 scoops with 3/4 cup of oats after.

bearmeat

Awards
  • Established
Similar to Jonesers:

Pre: 1 cup Oats, 1 scoop Whey (24g)

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Before: Approx 40grams of protein from oats and either eggs or chicken.

After: 80 grams of protein from whey powder then 1.25 hours later another 35 grams of protein from chicken or some other real food, trying to avoid too much fat. If I can force more down I will eat more.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
Oh.. I forgot to add that... Yes 1 to 1.5 hours later I eat "dinner". Normally chicken/Asparagus/rice, Salmon/Broc/Rice

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
40g in a shake i drink during, dinner 45 mins later.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
I think it depends on the individual and the form. I typically take in 30-35 grams of protein in liquid form as shakes but will ingest up tp 50 grams in a whole food meal. If I go overboard with the liquid I tend to get bloated and gassy.

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Thanks.. I'm going to move up to 50grams within 30 minutes after my workouts.. And maybe 50 throughout the day instead of 25...

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
50g whey 1 cup oats both before and after

Jeffrw

Jeffrw

Awards
Similar to Jonesers:

Pre: 1 cup Oats, 1 scoop Whey (24g)
This is exactly what I do as well.

As far the digestion part, it seems to make sense to me that with your body being nutrient senstive during and post workout, along with the sustained even insulin response from the oats, that more protein would be digested with oats than with higher GI carbs. I know whey is fast acting, but wouldn't the carbs, via insulin and glucose, have some effect on the speed of delivery? It seems less aminos (protein) would get wasted this way.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
I have 25g whey before and a can of tuna after @ 37g .... Total is 62g of protein.

xaneimas

xaneimas

Awards
I cant do shakes pre-workout (make me sick) so I eat 8 oz chicken pre and take 50g whey post.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I use an 80 gram ON whey shake with 3/4 cup of oats taken before (40 grams) and after workout(40 grams).

I eat a meal of a chicken breast and 1 cup of beans about 1.5 to 2 hours after the workout.

scoher

Awards
Usually an hour or two befor I eat a solid meal consisting of chicken or fish with some veggies.
During I use 3 servings of Xtend.
After I use 2 scoops of whey and a cup of raw oats.

2fast2live

Awards
20 grams of whey, any more than that and im running to the toilet.

SDaigneault

Board Supporter
Awards
You guys mix the oats in the blender w/ the whey?

House72

Awards
I usually drink a Myoplex Deluxe MRP it has 53 grams of protein in it.

BBAddict

Awards
PWO carbs are as important as the protein to refuel the glycogen in the muscles so that they can begin to rebuild. I usually shoot for about a 4:1 carbs:protein, so it's about 100:25. Then, I'll make sure to get some solid food with about 35gms of protein an hour after the PWO shake.

jamievk

Awards
Pre: 25G Protein with 1/3 Cup of Oats
PostL 45G Protein with 3/4 Cup of Oats

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Post-workout is 66-99g's carbs from gatoraide along with 20g's+ Glutamine then about 20minutes later 81g's Whey isolate. THen an hour later a nice big whole food meal.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
For years, I've been under the impression that the body can only use 30 grams or so at one time.. So after my workouts, I take in 30 grams.. Am I cheating myself? Can I be taking 50 grams or would I be throwing money out the window?

Also, how much protein do you take in 30 minutes or so before you train?

Thanks...
40-60grams 8x a day, I take in 350-450grams a day. My body weight is 240-250 so I need a bit of P to keep me goin'

Addiction

Addiction

Awards
I have 25g whey before and a can of tuna after @ 37g .... Total is 62g of protein.
You should switch it, go with the tuna pre and the whey post. The whey will be absorbed quicker than the tuna.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
You should switch it, go with the tuna pre and the whey post. The whey will be absorbed quicker than the tuna.
Thank's, someone else told me that... I switched it up two weeks ago.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
Forgot to add..... Can drinking to much whey lead to kidney stones?

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Forgot to add..... Can drinking to much whey lead to kidney stones?
I think it is animal proteins that were attributed to increase risk of stones.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
2 scoops of ON = 48 grams
1 cup of oats = 10 gram for a total of 58

ottomaddox

ottomaddox

Awards
I use 80 grams dextrose and 40 grams of whey for post workout. I use nothing before as I train early in the morning.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
What's with you guys eating oats post-workout? Why not something high glycemic to more effectively replenish glycogen stores? Also the best recovery i've ever had was off of Biotest's Surge. It's loaded with BCAA's, whey hydrosolate and glucose. Too bad it's ridiculously over priced and i'd go through it in a week.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
What's with you guys eating oats post-workout? Why not something high glycemic to more effectively replenish glycogen stores? Also the best recovery i've ever had was off of Biotest's Surge. It's loaded with BCAA's, whey hydrosolate and glucose. Too bad it's ridiculously over priced and i'd go through it in a week.
Wondering that myself, what is oats going to do for you post work out except slow absorption down, Surge is great but like said it can get spendy. I've switched to Carboplex mixed with Whey protien, cheap and effective! I drink it immediately after my W/O then about 1/2 to 1 hour later I have an MRP then 1 hour later high protien whole food meal. This has been extremely effective. Pre workout I normally have some Whey and a piece of fruit.

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Bobo's forum is looking a little underused so might as well bumb some old posts :)

Search Bobo and post workout. Spiking insulin PWO just leads to unwanted fat gain. Oats work just as well.

Sooty

Banned
Awards
Right after my workout, i usually get around 60 grams of protein, then during dinner I have around 100, 120 maybe.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
my post workout shake is two scoops of whey in a blender full of fat free milk.

2 scoops whey-
44 grams whey protein

5.5 cups of milk-
71.5 lactose
44 grams of casein protein

the whey gets absorbed fast to ride the insulin boost...and the casein stays in my gut to be absorbed for a few hours.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I'm sure that BOBO knows his stuff but when i read things like Chemical Muscle Enhancement and Building The Perfect Beast which tells you to use high glycemic carbs post-workout, i gotta go with L. Rea's suggestion. The BEST carb i've ever used for post-workout was Vitargo, no other carb has made my muscles look THAT full and it cut recovery by literally a day or more, and that was also high glycemic. BUT i'm not saying this is the only way, i'm sure their are many ways to get your nutrients post-workout just like their are many different training styles, hell look at Ronnie who eats steak and potatoes post workout with fries, lol.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I haven't tried vitargo, but I thought is was low gi. Could be wrong.

Avant's Supercarb is supposed to be great PW, and is definitely low gi.

Were you able to use Vitargo w/o getting fat?

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I haven't tried vitargo, but I thought is was low gi. Could be wrong.

Avant's Supercarb is supposed to be great PW, and is definitely low gi.

Were you able to use Vitargo w/o getting fat?
Hi Beowulf,

Supercarb is awesome.

Thank you

ps. I'm cutting with Supercarb.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
For me, it's usually 3 Cups of skim milk, 1 Cup of oats and 3 schoops of ON whey mixed in a blender. Half is before and the other afterwards. It tastes pretty good and doesn't cause me any bloating or indigestion.

Totals 896 Cal 15 Fat70 Carbs112 Protein

Edit: 2 tbl of Natural PB fortified with Omegas

Last edited:

Bainsville

Awards
Before(1/2 - 45 mins) 2 scoop (50 G), 1-cup oatmeal & skim milk

After 1 scoop(25g), 1 large banana and a few tbls of peanut butter. skim milk in the blender.

saint1972

Awards
All right guys,let me tell you one thing you all forget.
First of all.Biologicly your amount of protein is depends on your bodyweight.The limit is after your bodyweight is 165 pounds.Under this limit your body can not digest much protein.
It means 35/40 gramms of protein is the limit your body can use and digest without turning the rest of the protein into carbohydrates.Cause what your body does,if it gets more protein then it can use it will turn into carbohydrates and put it on the side,but the problem is it will never change it back to protein ever again.So you have to be carefull with this.
At the same time over 165 pounds 50 gramms of protein is the most your body can use after workout.Same problem with the protein if you overdose it.
Don`t forget,you have a 30 min.window after workout to take the protein shake.After that your body will just put it on the side as a carbohydrate and won1t use it again.

smokey the bear

smokey the bear

Awards
  • Established
when you say 50g is the maximum amount one can absorb, does that apply if one was to take something like bromelain or papain, or other substances or enzymes that aid in the digestion of protein??

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
First of all.Biologicly your amount of protein is depends on your bodyweight.The limit is after your bodyweight is 165 pounds.Under this limit your body can not digest much protein.
It means 35/40 gramms of protein is the limit your body can use and digest without turning the rest of the protein into carbohydrates.Cause what your body does,if it gets more protein then it can use it will turn into carbohydrates and put it on the side,but the problem is it will never change it back to protein ever again.So you have to be carefull with this.
At the same time over 165 pounds 50 gramms of protein is the most your body can use after workout.Same problem with the protein if you overdose it.
Don`t forget,you have a 30 min.window after workout to take the protein shake.After that your body will just put it on the side as a carbohydrate and won1t use it again.

When did 165 pounds become a magical number and when did protein turn into carbohydrates if you don't ingest it 30 minutes after a workout? So out of the 300 grams of protein i eat a day, only 50 of the 65ish I take after my workout is used for protein and the other 235 is now processed as carbs?

I must of pulled Rip van Winkle and slept through all those findings.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
:woohoo: that means I can eat just carbs all day, except after my workout :think:

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You didn't know, Basso? I'm changing my diet as we speak. I wonder if Fat turns into Protein if you don't take a dump within 45 minutes of eating a Krispy Kreme Donut.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
You didn't know, Basso? I'm changing my diet as we speak. I wonder if Fat turns into Protein if you don't take a dump within 45 minutes of eating a Krispy Kreme Donut.
Scientific studies have shown that it works better with Dunkin' Donuts or Tim Horton's (for you Canadian folks)

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd have to say a steady protein intake throughout the day will kick a post-workout shake's ass any day of the week.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah but in that line of thinking a post workout shake would be part of a steady intake of protein. I don't believe anyone is suggesting post workout protein and nothing through out the day.