Best training style while on SD

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
I am going to run a 3 week cycle of SD. My goal is to increase my strength as much as possible but I also want to add muscle size. Strength is more important to me right now and I also know that the size will come when I get stronger. I read through the different styles of lifting and I am wondering what style of lifting would be best.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Stick with what works for you when not using anything. Personally, I like low rep, low volume training, but everyone is different.

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
Ya, well recently I have been in a rut and I have hit a plateau. I analyzed my diet and upped my calories to 4000 a day. I was falling short in the calorie department. I have been stuck at the same weight and strength level for years now and I am tired of spending countless hours in the weight room to see no results. That is why I am going to run this cycle and I want to get feedback from others on what routines they have used while on.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
What you might want to consider is taking a short layoff first. You could possibly be overtrained. I know it's hard but evrytime I take a week or two off, I come back stronger, and start growing again.

As far as routines-You didn't mention what you were doing, but if you've stopped growing, try a routine that's the opposite of what you were doing. Example- switch up all the exercises, switch from high to low reps or vice versa.

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
8-12 reps on most exercises
took like 4 weeks off over chrstmas

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If your looking for strength 8-12 reps is to high except for assistance work. I'd suggest looking into 5x5 routine. Its simple and effective for most. Or you could go with something like West Side style training. Its alot more complicated than most training systems but works well.

BrumMac

Awards
Why don't you try a very simple but effective 3 day push/pull/legs routine.

Something like

DAY 1 PULL

Deadlifts
Wide Grip Chins
Bent over Barbell Rows
Barbell Curls

DAY 2 PUSH

Flat Barbell or Dumbbell Bench Press
Incline Dumbbell Press
Barbell or Dumbbell Shoulder Presses
Tricep Dips or Close Grip Bench Press

DAY 3 LEGS

Front or Back Squats
Barbell or Dumbbell Stiff Leg Deadlifts
Calf Raises (3x12) - only if a seriously lagging bodypart
Weighted Crunches or Weighted Hanging Leg Raises (3x12)

All exercises with a rep range of 6-8, only failing on the last rep of your last set and go for 3-4 sets. It may not seem much but if you work out intensely enough then it will work.

Jblake

Awards
I like push/pull style plans also. Or upper/lower plans. The full and half body splits work much better for me than having a "chest day" or "chest/delts" days.

Too Small

Awards
If your looking for strength 8-12 reps is to high except for assistance work. I'd suggest looking into 5x5 routine. Its simple and effective for most. Or you could go with something like West Side style training. Its alot more complicated than most training systems but works well.
I agree with this. 8-12 reps to just too many. I've never done the 5x5, but I'm thinking about trying it. I like the 6 rep max range, doing usually 3-4 sets. Also, try switching the days you train. But most important...hang in there. You will break that plateau.

As for SD, just make sure you take Milk Thistle (or some sort of Liver protectant) and Cranberry Extract for at least a week before you start your SD cycle.

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
I know that the classic if you want to get stronger you need high weight and low reps, but I feel that I get better results staying around 8-10 reps. Maybe its just in my head though. I want to maximize my strength gains but some mass would be nice. Do you guys think If I trained for strength I would still gain a decent amount of mass?

william3162

Board Supporter
Awards
If you keep your carbs up, you will gain a decent amount of mass wether you're training for gaining strength or mass.