Water Needs

GrossSizeRocks

Awards
Didn't know where to put this. Was torn between putting it under "Supplements" and putting it here, finally went with here cause of that "every aspect" line out there on the Table of Contents page. It's so basic it might be better over at BB.com for Beginners, but it's so basic I don't see it discussed anywhere.

Are water requirements different from fluid requirements?

Everywhere you look on muscle Boards, people advise that we get at least a gallon of water a day, some go up to 2 gallons. I understand the business about avoiding dehydration due to sweating during training and/or diuretic effects of various substances. I also get it about water maybe being forced into muscle tissue for added size and/or strength.

But are these water requirements we talk about based on just straight water, or do other fluids count?

If some example person on some example training/diet/supplement program "needed" exactly 200 fluid ounces of water per day to remain healthy and get good results, does that need to be 200 fl. oz. of water over and above any other fluids used, or do you include the others as part of your water intake?

Does the man who drinks 100 oz. of straight water plus 50 oz. of milk plus 50 oz. of protein powder & water shakes satisfy his water requirements the same as someone who drinks 200 oz. of straight water (and for this example the 2nd guy still gets the same amt. of protein from other sources)?

Or is there something special about straight water for purposes of people who train and supplement?

IntensePump

IntensePump

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've always been kinda curious about the same thing...

BUMP! :run:

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
The 8 cups of water is just to maintain hydration. My professors tell me that as long as you drink when you are thirsty then you will be fine. Your body will use water from any source to replenish itself so you may only need say 4 glasses of water and a huge chunk of watermelon. That's just an example, but you get the idea.

As for athletes, they do require more water than the average joe. If a trainer tells you to drink a gallon of water they mean an actual gallon of H2O. Doing so is more about flushing stuff out of the body rather than hydration.

Another plus is that lots of water will help to keep you from retaining water and looking bloated. Just try to keep your urine clear as a bare minimum indicator.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Few ways:
1ml/kcal
30-35ml/kg, 40ml/kg for very active
urine output +500ml.
These are general guidelines.