Newbie here

• Thread starter marshmallow man
  • Start date
marshmallow man

marshmallow man

Awards
Hey all:

A friend turned me to this site. I am 24, lifted in high school and off and on since. I weigh 215 pounds and have generally been big my whole life. I am pretty new to the secondary issues of weight lifting, ie how to eat, when to eat, yada, yada...

I started lifting again in late July. I've missed one full week since.

I am hoping some of you can give me some insight on how to eat, mostly in the middle of the day seems to hurt me. I get hungry and then eat crappy.

I don't understand many of the supplements that are on the market. What they do, how they do it, and who they are good for.... Also, money is pretty tight so the best bang for the buck is what I'm after.

Andrew

cry0smate

cry0smate

The Chosen One
Awards
There are definitely some good guys over here, welcome!

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey all:

A friend turned me to this site. I am 24, lifted in high school and off and on since. I weigh 215 pounds and have generally been big my whole life. I am pretty new to the secondary issues of weight lifting, ie how to eat, when to eat, yada, yada...

I started lifting again in late July. I've missed one full week since.

I am hoping some of you can give me some insight on how to eat, mostly in the middle of the day seems to hurt me. I get hungry and then eat crappy.

I don't understand many of the supplements that are on the market. What they do, how they do it, and who they are good for.... Also, money is pretty tight so the best bang for the buck is what I'm after.

Andrew
As for supplements... it all depends on what your looking for, muscle, fat loss, etc... But either way... just do some search, reveiw some of the forums... hit up the reveiws sections and just do some reading threw... same with nutrition... just try a search... laying it all out on the table is a little difficult... but Im sure someone more well versed in helping other people with their diet will probably chime in. But in the mean time, post up all your stats cause Im sure that will be needed by the nutrition pros here.

Such as
Weight:
Lifestyle activity: (IE, sedintary, active, semi, etc)
Body fat Percent if you have it (can try www.mybodycomp.com for a pretty close estimate)
Current diet:
Type of Routine:

That type of stuff... anything for one of the many nutrition experts here to go off of.

But as I said earlier... take a minute, and just read through the massive amounts of information already on this board.. .Im sure almost all your questions have been addressed in there.. and even some you didnt know you had in the back of your mind.

Welcome

Adams

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
Welcome aboard mate :welcome:.

First things first, forget about sups because they won't do much to help you until you get your diet in check. Second, really focus on reading all of the posts in the fat loss forum. There are plenty of diets posted that have been critiqued in there. Also, you may not be tryin to lose fat, but it's generally all the same stuff for bulking, just more of it. Lastly, I suck at building a training routine so just read some posts in the exercise science.

marshmallow man

marshmallow man

Awards
Thanks...sure I can post my stats.

24 years old
5-10, 215
semi active
my body fat percentage is most likely 15-20%, not really sure

Routine:
Monday(Back)
Deadlifts
Upright rows
lat pulldown
straight bar curls
hammer curls

Wednesday(chest and shoulders)
Dumbbell incline
pushups 4 sets
tricep extension(cable, rope and bar)
clean and press or military press
shrugs
lateral raises

Thursday(legs)
squats
calf raises or lunges
hamstring curls

I try to keep the sets 3-5 and reps 3-5.

My eating is generally like this:
Breakfast 330pm(work nights)
midday snack 7ish
lunch 11ish
Try to eat again after workout which is usually 11 or midnight
eat again closer to bed, so I don't catabolize(sp).

I want to build muscle and look good. No time or deserve to be huge, just in better shape.

Right now, I have protein shakes as my only supplement. I bought the lowest sugar stuff they had at GNC.

Andrew

marshmallow man

marshmallow man

Awards
Welcome aboard mate :welcome:.

First things first, forget about sups because they won't do much to help you until you get your diet in check. Second, really focus on reading all of the posts in the fat loss forum. There are plenty of diets posted that have been critiqued in there. Also, you may not be tryin to lose fat, but it's generally all the same stuff for bulking, just more of it. Lastly, I suck at building a training routine so just read some posts in the exercise science.
Thanks, I am huge Sooners fan as well...!!!!!!!!!!

I'm from Oklahoma.

Andrew

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks...sure I can post my stats.

24 years old
5-10, 215
semi active
my body fat percentage is most likely 15-20%, not really sure

Routine:
Monday(Back)
Deadlifts
Upright rows
lat pulldown
straight bar curls
hammer curls

Wednesday(chest and shoulders)
Dumbbell incline
pushups 4 sets
tricep extension(cable, rope and bar)
clean and press or military press
shrugs
lateral raises

Thursday(legs)
squats
calf raises or lunges
hamstring curls

I try to keep the sets 3-5 and reps 3-5.

My eating is generally like this:
Breakfast 330pm(work nights)
midday snack 7ish
lunch 11ish
Try to eat again after workout which is usually 11 or midnight
eat again closer to bed, so I don't catabolize(sp).

I want to build muscle and look good. No time or deserve to be huge, just in better shape.

Right now, I have protein shakes as my only supplement. I bought the lowest sugar stuff they had at GNC.

Andrew
What type of foods to you eat? Fast food jockey, whole foods... microwave dinners?

Alot of people here like the 40/40/20 diet.

40% Protien (1.5 Grams per pound seems to be the general concensus)
40% Carbs (Try to keep it low GI... Example List http://www.bestdiettips.com/html/glycemic_index.html)
20% Fats (The good kind, that means no french fry's :rofl: )

Try to hit up www.fitday.com to keep a food log, and calculate your Base Metabolic Rate. This will help you set your caloric goals for your own personal goals... such as maybe a recomp... slightly under your calorie expenditure... to keep muscle around, while slowly losing the fat.

As I said... I'll help all I can, but nurition is something I am still learning myself... will be more than happy to pass along what I have gathered so far.

Adams

marshmallow man

marshmallow man

Awards
Breakfast is usually: 2-3 whole eggs, 2 sausage patties, v8(12 ozs)

We eat alot of ground turkey, steak, chicken breasts. The main problem being between meals. For instance, I have class a 7pm to 10pm twice a week, then work right after. I don't have a way to keep my food cold, so those nights it is hard for me to eat right.

Yes, I have a taco bell weakness. Probably hit the bell, twice out of every 7 days.

Andrew

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
Thanks, I am huge Sooners fan as well...!!!!!!!!!!

I'm from Oklahoma.

Andrew

Well you are talking to an original Okie from Muskogee right here...lol. Where are you from?

On to the diet-
I imagine that those sausages are very fattening so drop those out, NOW!!!! :lol:. You could probably stand to eat only one or 2 whole eggs in the morning and just add a bunch of egg whites. Also, add a clean carb source to help fill you up. This is also a good strategy for the rest of the day (lean protein and carb source)

I am not sure what you schedule looks like...ummmm, when does your day begin and end and when do you workout? I have a couple of night classes myself but I just eat before and sometimes I have to wait 3.5 hours before I can eat again, but I just deal w/ it. Though I have been known to bring food to class...lol.

marshmallow man

marshmallow man

Awards
Well you are talking to an original Okie from Muskogee right here...lol. Where are you from?

On to the diet-
I imagine that those sausages are very fattening so drop those out, NOW!!!! :lol:. You could probably stand to eat only one or 2 whole eggs in the morning and just add a bunch of egg whites. Also, add a clean carb source to help fill you up. This is also a good strategy for the rest of the day (lean protein and carb source)

I am not sure what you schedule looks like...ummmm, when does your day begin and end and when do you workout? I have a couple of night classes myself but I just eat before and sometimes I have to wait 3.5 hours before I can eat again, but I just deal w/ it. Though I have been known to bring food to class...lol.
Lived in Guymon(Panhandle), then a small town of 400 near enid.

This is what I am talking about, what is a clean carb source? Talk to me like an I'm an idiot. Is there a good site to go for all this info?

I work graveyard shift, so my workouts are typically, 10pm to 11pm.

Monday and Wednesday:
wake up at 3 or 330pm, bowl at 6, get to work at 11, home at 7

Tuesday and Thursday:
wake up same time, class at 7, workout at 10ish, work, home at 7

Friday/saturday and sunday:
open

Andrew

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
My advice:
Use the fitday link listed above. Keep track (via a small notebook) of what you eat and the relative size (half a cup, etc.) and log into fitday daily.

Also, keep track of the weight you are lifting in a similar notebook. Try to increase the weight you lift as you work into it (I wouldn't worry about that just yet as you've just started lifting).
Maintain strict form. I've already got a fucked up shoulder due to sloppy lifting habits.
Slow and steady wins the race!

Clean carbs = slow digestinng (think whole wheat, like oatmeal).

Add some oatmeal to breakfast (along with dropping the sausage as D mentioned).

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
hmmmm... one of my posts here was deleted entirely... anyway... buy a small cooler with cold pack... No more than $10.. and carry it with you like you would your wallet (I do at least), always have a snack on hand.

Adams

marshmallow man

marshmallow man

Awards
Cool, I appreciate all the help.

No sausage today.

Protein shake right away when I woke up, ground turkey(seasoned with some spices)...basically a taco without the shell, fat free beans at 5ish, then worked out at 1015 to 11, then ate pretty much the same thing again.

Also brought some tuna for later.

Andrew

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
Also brought some tuna for later.

Hummm, Tuna is your best friend:food:.

Just don't get in the habit of drinking too many protein shakes in a day. Just stick to real food for the most part.

A good place for you to start would be to eat about 2800 cals w/ a 40/40/20 breakdown (40% protein & carbs, 20% fat). Try this for a couple of weeks and see how your bodr responds.

Also, try searching for a food list. I know there have been a couple on here recently.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hummm, Tuna is your best friend:food:.

Just don't get in the habit of drinking too many protein shakes in a day. Just stick to real food for the most part.

A good place for you to start would be to eat about 2800 cals w/ a 40/40/20 breakdown (40% protein & carbs, 20% fat). Try this for a couple of weeks and see how your bodr responds.

Also, try searching for a food list. I know there have been a couple on here recently.
I agree with the real foods comment...I only use the protien post workout, and I carry a baggy, just in case I wont make a real food meal... just to keep me out of the catabolic state.

Adams

marshmallow man

marshmallow man

Awards
Todays intake

Food NameServingsServing SizeCalsFatCarbProt Turkey, ground cup, cookedcup, raw, yield cookedoz, cookedoz, raw (yield after cooking)cubic inch, cookedcubic inch, raw (yield after cooking)large patty (5.3 oz, raw, 3 patties ...medium patty (4 oz, raw, 4 patties p...small patty (3.33 oz, raw, 5 patties...Quantity not specified 65337076 Cheese, Cheddar or American type, dry, grated cuptablespoonQuantity not specified 1401209 Sour cream, fat free cuptablespoonQuantity not specified 36071 Lettuce, raw cup, shredded or choppedoz, raw, yieldslarge headlarge leafmedium head (6" dia)medium leafsmall headsmall leafQuantity not specified 7011 Refried beans cupQuantity not specified 727348225 protein shake serving 1202224 Tuna, canned, water pack cup, NFScup, solid or chunks, drainedozcan (12.5 to 13 oz), drainedcan (6.5 oz), drainedQuantity not specified 1941043 Mustard cupteaspoonpacketQuantity not specifiedQuantity not specified, if sandwich 10011

Totals
Calories 1885
Fat 86
Carbs 94
Protein 179

Andrew