Pre/Post WO Questions for Bobo

Croix

Board Supporter
Awards
Hi Bobo,

First of all forgive me if this post bores you to tears - I know you have had to address this subject at length over the last ~5 years and I have felt your frustrations when reading through all those years of discussions and debate!

I am new member of the AM forums as well as a very new lifter. I found my way over here after doing a solid week of reading initially on PWO nutrition over at bb.com and found your posts most informative and revolutionary. I have not been able to read every post you may have made on the subject (here, at bb.com and avant) so forgive me if I am treading old ground and am asking questions you may have already addressed at length in the past!

A little info about myself - I decided to start training about 1 month ago and wanted to do it properly (albeit here in NZ, where common bb beliefs are probably very behind the times). I have enlisted the help of a PT and nutritionist and have seen reasonably good results so far, though as with many budding bb'ers, this soon became an obsession and I have found myself trying to ingest as much information on the topic as possible. I had never heard of PWO nutrition before, nor was it built into my nutritionists diet plans. I of course first discovered Berardi's articles (proported as the 'gospel' all over the internet) and followed the high GI path for the inital bout of my PWO nutrition. A can of 'Surge' (and psychological fat concerns/bloating) later, I discovered your excellent posts on this subject and after reading all the referenced studies in depth am now convinced of the low GI methods as well as the importance of preWO nutrition.

Anyway, after that long winded blag, as I want to get this as 'right' as possible from square one, I'm hoping you can steer me in the right directions with regard to the following;

PreWO - I have read Alan Aragon's sticky over at BB.com regarding pre/during/postWO and would like to know if you advise or have anything to add to his pre/duringWO reccomendations, as far as the nutrient make-ups and proposed ratio's in relation to BW etc.? or any new findings you may have come accross since its appearance.

PostWO - I am wanting to go down your path of low-GI and not the "insulin geared" reccomendations.

Can you please advise a BW/Target BW ratio for protein and carbs for this PW shake? I understand that the carb portion will probalby not need to be as high as the common beliefs (.8g/kg BW malto/dex etc. (Berardi) or Alan's .5g/lb reccomendation) if adequate carb intake is observed in the entire day's diet? If I were to use wholegrain oats and fruit here, how much in your experience would you say is optimal?

The last question I have is in regard to the type of protein used pre and post. - Would you reccomend a slower acting protein (whey concentrate/cassien) pre workout (my uneducated guess - to stabilise the release of protein/AA's during the course of the workout) and a faster acting protein (Hydrolysed/Isolate) for the PWO shake?

On the AM side of things, I am very keen to sign up for one of your 8 week bulking programs after my initial cut which will finish in January. Do you think the fact that I am in New Zealand will affect the nutrition reccomendations, as most of the household US names are not available here (eg - I had never even heard of Quaker or steel cut oats in my life until reading BB boards!)

Thank you very much for you help and for opening my eyes to some excellent nutrition concepts.

Kind regards and cheers!

Bradley

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
On the AM side of things, I am very keen to sign up for one of your 8 week bulking programs after my initial cut which will finish in January. Do you think the fact that I am in New Zealand will affect the nutrition reccomendations, as most of the household US names are not available here (eg - I had never even heard of Quaker or steel cut oats in my life until reading BB boards!)

I have been on the body by bobo diet and you shouldn't have to worry about specific brands of food so lonag as you can find a specific type, like skim milk, it doesn't matter what brand it is.

Also you will probably have to pay to get this type of info. And just to give you a heads up, I can tell that you are making it seem too complicated.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
1. I have posted in that thread in which Alan gives his recommendations.

2. New Zealand won't be a problem. I've had several clients from Australia.

3. Target wieght ratios for protein and carbs are for people who write articles for a living.

4. DSL hit it on the head. You are already making this way too complicated.

Croix

Board Supporter
Awards
Yeah it feels like it's too complicated. Definately going to try and get into the queue for a bobo bulk diet in Jan.

Tapering my calories throughout the day to make room for my pre/post calories at night is leaving me rather hungry during the day.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Tapering my calories throughout the day to make room for my pre/post calories at night is leaving me rather hungry during the day.
My good ole friend hunger. Yes, we are well aquainted.