Pulled? lower back during squats

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
I was doing squats yesterday, started with 135 for 15,155 for 15,175 for 12 and when I went to 185, I got three. On my fourth rep at the bottom I had to push to get it up, as I felt lower back pain. I use good form and the weight as you can see was fairly light. I had done a killer back workout 3 days before this finishing with hypers and then light running by my house for about 3 miles. The day before yesterday, my back was very stiff from the back workout. I just started back into running for cardio, my leg muscles were not used to the running, so I went very slow. So basically I squated with a stiff back and my legs had some running stiffness in them as well (hip flexors). Has this happened to anyone? Did I pinch a nerve? I have lumbar pain today but I can walk, bend over to the front (not all the way). If I twist to the sides, it hurts. I am not asking for a diagnosis. Have you sprained, pinched, bruised , whatever you want to call it your lower back, and when did the pain go away. I know I should probably go see the doc, but for right now, ice and heat. Thanks

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I was doing squats yesterday, started with 135 for 15,155 for 15,175 for 12 and when I went to 185, I got three. On my fourth rep at the bottom I had to push to get it up, as I felt lower back pain. I use good form and the weight as you can see was fairly light. I had done a killer back workout 3 days before this finishing with hypers and then light running by my house for about 3 miles. The day before yesterday, my back was very stiff from the back workout. I just started back into running for cardio, my leg muscles were not used to the running, so I went very slow. So basically I squated with a stiff back and my legs had some running stiffness in them as well (hip flexors). Has this happened to anyone? Did I pinch a nerve? I have lumbar pain today but I can walk, bend over to the front (not all the way). If I twist to the sides, it hurts. I am not asking for a diagnosis. Have you sprained, pinched, bruised , whatever you want to call it your lower back, and when did the pain go away. I know I should probably go see the doc, but for right now, ice and heat. Thanks
Heat it and rest, it's possible you may have just tweaked it. Give it another day or two. Sometimes these things have a way of working themselves out.

ryano

Awards
  • Established
Im just getting over a back injury... I was out for about
two months...I could have healed sooner but I tried to jump
back in the gym too soon.

About 80 percent of all people have lower back injury at some
point in their lives and most of those do not require
additional therapy besides stretching avoiding strenous activity for
2 to four weeks.

Limit your overall activity nothing too strenous but still stay active
with your daily activities. Alternating Heat and cold for about two
minutes each will help blood flow and healing. I do this at the gym
by alternating between the sauna and a cold shower. I do this before
my workout and after. Then stretching before and between sets. If you
sit around on you ass all day at work then get up and stretch whenever
can. Sitting around can excerbate the situation.

After you start feeling better then start working on your core, your abs
help keep your vertebrae in line.

I wouldnt worry about going to the doctor just yet unless you are in some
serious pain or have sciatica(spelling?) shooting pains down the leg.

I hope this helps

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
It's been 2 days and I am feeling tons better. I have a hard time still twisting at the waist but it's loosening up. I've been hanging on my inversion table and it is also helping. I was just about to start an SD cycle when this happened. I'll play it safe and hold off for a week.......ok, two weeks :) People need to be carefull when adding running into their training. I never expected it, it just happened. I don't know if it's my IT bands, erectors or hip flexors, but running after a long time away from it, played a part in this injury. Running and free squats may not work well together for me.

Khyron

Awards
I have found out that wearing a belt helps a lot at preventing back pulls.

Andrew69

Board Supporter
Awards
Mach,
I get the same thing now and then and for me, it always come back to one thing...tight hams and glutes.
I need a good week after agrivating it of rest and stretching my hams and glutes and its fine.

I havent agrivated it for a long time as my ham/glute flexiblity has been good, but last week my hams especially felt tight leading upto the injury.

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
Hey, thanks Andrew. I'm still stiff after hurricane cleanup so I'll be stretching everything including Hams and Glutes. That would make sense after not running for awhile. I have pain on both sides at the waistline. Is that where you get it?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Smokey8766 Injury / Rehab 37
Supplements 9
enhanced Injury / Rehab 9
enhanced Injury / Rehab 0
DaveyCrockett Anabolics 2