Maintaining gains During Football season

El_Matarife

Awards
Does anyone know of any good training programs for football players (D-lineman) to do in season to maintain the muscle mass they have built during the off season? I have asked around and heard of a "tier" program written by Joe Kenn, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone else have any other good suggestions? I am currently in camp and am testing tomorrow, so I would like to start lifting in a few days to maintain. Thanks for the help.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I would just suggest lifting 1-3 (3 would be absolute max)sessions per week. Stick to the lifts that are more important for your particular sport and concentrate on them. Just make sure you organize the sessions so that fatigue and DOMS are not a factor for your games.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You're not going to be able to maintain them. That's just how it goes.

You can maintain most of your strength though. Cut the volume and focus on key exercises: Squats, power cleans, deads, bench press.

1-2 times a week.

davisville64

Awards
I would suggest not going to failure. Make sure you eat enough too.

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
Make sure you eat enough too.
:goodpost: Definitely make sure that you are eating enough. Being down in the trenches is tough work, I played D-Line in high school and could never really get enough food. Make sure you eat clean though because if you eat crap to maintain weight, it'll only hurt ya in the long run. Good luck with the season.

El_Matarife

Awards
Thanks guys. What kind of set rep schemes? I was thinking 3 by 3 in squat, bench, dead, military, clean. Anything else?

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Here at FSU we workout twice a week during football season. Tuesdays and Thursdays. We do core lifts and we do a lot of olympic lifts, cleans, snatches, squats, bench, etc. Work on speed/strength during season, worry about size in the off season. That is the methodology. If you want to maximize gains then bring food to school. Things like bagels, protein shakes, hard boiled eggs, and things like this work great.

El_Matarife

Awards
Here at FSU we workout twice a week during football season. Tuesdays and Thursdays. We do core lifts and we do a lot of olympic lifts, cleans, snatches, squats, bench, etc. Work on speed/strength during season, worry about size in the off season. That is the methodology. If you want to maximize gains then bring food to school. Things like bagels, protein shakes, hard boiled eggs, and things like this work great.
What is your set/rep scheme for that work out?

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
It changes bro, i mean it tapers down. I would stick between 2-6 or so and you can take some of your lifts to 8 if you want. I like the taper down method personally. It all depends on the lift though. I do less cleans or snatches then I would say a bench press set.You want that explosive strength more than you want size.