help experts

madmuscle

Awards
ok i weigh 192 just bought some nlarge 2 to gain10pounds my question is i wanna gain 10 ounds but i dont wanna gain bodyfat so what do i do?i know you can acomplish it you know gaining weight and still being able to se youre 6pack i know i need to eat clean but what else:saw:

crazypete

Awards
that depends on a lot of things. first we have to answer a lot of questions:

1. what is your body fat level? if you can't see your six pack, then work on this first (don't worry, if you do things right you will grow)

2. what is you training level, body type, muscle fibre ratios, etc.? there is no one size fits all solution. you have to find what works for you.

first off nutrition: buy charles poliquin's book titled manly weight loss (definately a good investment) this will give you a good base nutrition wise

second, are your muscles properly balanced: for more on this look at my post in the thread related to best chest development exercises

go to www.t-mag.com and look through the archieves for all articles written by charles poliquin, ian king and paul chek (i ignore the other authors because these guys are by far the best in the field) cut and paste these articles into word and save them, they will be invaluable. also, poliquin has a website www.charlespoliquin.net which has a weekly ask the guru section (this also has archieves) and the paul chek website is www.chekinstitute.com there are some good articles here too.

basically you can learn for yourself what to do, and this can be quite fun if you have the right mindset. it will also work better than following someone else's routine which may not work for you (i lifted in the 8-12 rep range for the longest time and barely grew, then i started lifting lower reps and started growing, who knew that i was fast twitch, i used to run long disatance - now i know why i sucked at it). also by learning the background, you don't get caught lying to yourself like many people do (bouncing weight off their chest and calling it bench press - i used to do this too).

or you could just do a bunch of 1-test and 4AD with an aromatase blocker and 6oxo post cycle or real stuff and ignore every thing above. whatever, the choice is yours. either way, you came to the right site.

if you want more reading references, just ask
cheers, pete

Pro

Awards
You want to gain weight and don't want to gain bodyfat and yet you take N Large 2 with tons of sugar? I don't understand... get some real food.

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
All weight gainers will add fat, even the good homemade ones. Rely on real food and protein powders with no maltodextrin or dextrose added. Since you already bought it, my suggestion is to use 1/2 the rec dose, and add about 25 gms of additional whey powder for your post-workout shake. Don't use it throughout the day or it will add weight....all fat! ;)

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
go to www.t-mag.com and look through the archieves for all articles written by charles poliquin, ian king and paul chek (i ignore the other authors because these guys are by far the best in the field) cut and paste these articles into word and save them, they will be invaluable. also, poliquin has a website www.charlespoliquin.net which has a weekly ask the guru section (this also has archieves) and the paul chek website is www.chekinstitute.com there are some good articles here too.

T-mag has some of the most informative articles on the web. Written by bodybuilders, not pencil neck lab technicians doing studies on lab rats. Just take the articles hyping their own products with a grain of salt. ;)

madmuscle

Awards
that depends on a lot of things. first we have to answer a lot of questions:

1. what is your body fat level? if you can't see your six pack, then work on this first (don't worry, if you do things right you will grow)

2. what is you training level, body type, muscle fibre ratios, etc.? there is no one size fits all solution. you have to find what works for you.

first off nutrition: buy charles poliquin's book titled manly weight loss (definately a good investment) this will give you a good base nutrition wise

second, are your muscles properly balanced: for more on this look at my post in the thread related to best chest development exercises

basically you can learn for yourself what to do, and this can be quite fun if you have the right mindset. it will also work better than following someone else's routine which may not work for you (i lifted in the 8-12 rep range for the longest time and barely grew, then i started lifting lower reps and started growing, who knew that i was fast twitch, i used to run long disatance - now i know why i sucked at it). also by learning the background, you don't get caught lying to yourself like many people do (bouncing weight off their chest and calling it bench press - i used to do this too).

or you could just do a bunch of 1-test and 4AD with an aromatase blocker and 6oxo post cycle or real stuff and ignore every thing above. whatever, the choice is yours. either way, you came to the right site.

if you want more reading references, just ask
cheers, pete
could you give me some example articles too read?

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
you gotta click on the links and do some reading man, this is good advice being given but it only goes so far... it will benefit you much much more in the long run to do this kind of basic researching on your own, now that you've been pointed in the right directions.

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
you cant go wrong following the advice of any one of the three...my personal favorite is poloquin....but still as has been said they are all top notch. btw its kinda like school...if you read and learn from the info there you'll know what to ask better. besides, there's nothing gonna help you grow and improve more imo than to research and try different approaches. good luck....you're willing to spend the time in the gym...so do a little research and reading and it'll make that time alot more productive (and fun!). good luck.

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
toss the nlarge..go for some lean mass matrix..from prolab

other then that..just read whats posted already..lots o good stuff for ya to chew on in this thread

baham99

Awards
Why are people entertaining this idea of gaining 10 pounds of weight without gaining bf? That is a ridiculous notion...the best weight gains come from gaining everything at once. To deplete carbs and essential fats to only gain lean muscle will produce almost neglible results to weight (of course you will see strengtch and quality muscle gain). I personally think 10 lbs of lean muscle is unrealistic barring "external help"...who said it in one of their faqs...you need some incredible genetics or real real "good stuff" to get the best of both worlds simultaneously. (without bulking first then cutting)

crazypete

Awards
some of poliquin's dietary recomendations suggest that you can lose fat while gaining muscle or gain muscle without gaining fat. most people don't give an honest effort (they think they do, but really they are usually going about it in the wrong way). people argue that you have to work harder or smarter to make gains, why not both. the more honest you are to yourself, the better your rpogress will be. as for shakes, make your own. buy whey protein (as long as it is 100%, the concentrate is as good as the more expensive stuff) and mix it with maltodextrin or dextrose for afterworkout only. i also add flax oil and a little vanilla extract for flavour. for protein, take your lean body mass (ie. if you were ripped) and divide by 4, this is how many grams you need after a workout. as for carbs if you are trying to cut, same as protein, if you are trying to bulk, it could be .75-1g/lb and a spoon or two of flax oil. right as soon as your workout is done. as for adding a certain weight, screw it just do as much as you can, when you get to where you want to be, stop. making short term goals too specific can hold you back if they are too simple or bother you psychologically if you fail to meet them.

also buy some books, poliquin's and king's are readily available and quite cheap compared to other stuff (the money spent here will be saved very soon down the road).

cheers, pete