Periodization and Myofibrillar/Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy

CSK

Board Supporter
Awards
Alright, knowing that reps in the 4-8 range are better for myofibrillar hypertrophy and that reps in the 8-12 range are better for sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, would it be better to try to incorporate both of these rep schemes into each workout, or focus on one only and switch back and forth every 6-8 weeks or so? Thanks.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I like to use both at all times, but it depends on your goal. Just remember that the more time you spend in one area, the more results you will get from rep range.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Alright, knowing that reps in the 4-8 range are better for myofibrillar hypertrophy and that reps in the 8-12 range are better for sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, would it be better to try to incorporate both of these rep schemes into each workout, or focus on one only and switch back and forth every 6-8 weeks or so? Thanks.
One matter of consideration that needs (I would like to see) to be incorporated in the discussion of and application of these is TUT and the eccentric and concentric effort.

Last edited:

bg5757

Board Supporter
Awards
i train each body part twice a week like Derek's training plan. so i do one day that is heavy in the 4-6 rep range and the other day for that bodypart in the 10-12 rep range. this way i get the best of both worlds each week.

on another note, does anyone (i bet BoBo does) know any authors who have done studies on myofibrillar/sarcoplasmic hypertrophy that i can search for on PubMed?

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
Poliquin and others recommends accumulation and intensitification phases of 2-3 weeks each.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I usually train for each 3 weeks at a time.

CSK

Board Supporter
Awards
Wow, just 3 weeks? I guess with such short cycles, your body wouldn't have sufficient time to decondition itself from the alternate rep range.

bda55

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Alternate 2-3 weeks of each:

Accumulation phase: (high volume)
Reps: 8-20
Sets per exercise: 3-4
Rest intervals: 60-90 secs
Exercises per bodypart: 2-3
Time under tension per set: 40-60 secs
Total sets per bodypart: 6-8

Intensification phase: (high intensity)
Reps: 5-8
Sets per exercise: 4-5
Rest intervals: 3-4 mins
Exercises per bodypart: 1-2
Time under tension per set: 30-40 secs
Total sets per bodypart: 8-10

Gonna try this myself soon, I'm used to having the same training routine for like 6 weeks most of the time..

Speedbacker

Awards

Gonna try this myself soon, I'm used to having the same training routine for like 6 weeks most of the time..
BDA- You're gonna see some damn good strength and muscle gains using that program. I've been training with Poliquin for the last 12 weeks and the gains are unbelievable.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established

Are there other recommendations in this particular routine, like super setting antagonists or anything like that?

ktw

Awards
  • Established
Check out some stuff by Thibadeau, mainly his Eastern European Bodybuilding articles. He is big on this type of periodization just like Poliquin. I actually tried one of his methods a while back, packed on a lot of strength very quickly.