Question regarding what is happening to muscle when it's being trained?

  1. Question Question regarding what is happening to muscle when it's being trained?


    Hello,

    I have a question regarding muscle physiology. Check out a little bit of what I did today:

    BB Military Press
    1 x 20 with 100 lbs (~50% of my 1 rep max....stop laughing!!!!!)

    then I took a rest for 1 minute (timed)

    1 x 20 with 105 lbs (failure...delts burning like hell)

    then I took a rest for 1 minute 30 seconds (timed)

    1 x12 with 110 lbs (failure....but it wasn't muscle burning type failure...on the 12th rep I was still feeling alright but when I tried to get 13th rep, I just couldn't move my arms...they were just paralyzed and I had to stop the set).


    Can someone explain what exactly happened here in terms of muscle biology? Did I use up all my deltoid glycogen? Did Type 1 muscle fibers tire out and type 2 were taking over? Did my CNS get overloaded? Did I burn up all my shoulder ATP??


    By the way, in case you're wondering, I'm experimenting with low 1 RM maxes (30-50%) and doing sets to failure because I read in an article that you still get muscle hypertrophy whether you use 30% or 80% as long as you do more reps (~30 reps) with the lower 1-rm max.

    Thanks!
    "A dumbbell is a man's best friend"


  2. Quote Originally Posted by Cheeky Monkey View Post
    Hello,

    I have a question regarding muscle physiology. Check out a little bit of what I did today:

    BB Military Press
    1 x 20 with 100 lbs (~50% of my 1 rep max....stop laughing!!!!!)

    then I took a rest for 1 minute (timed)

    1 x 20 with 105 lbs (failure...delts burning like hell)

    then I took a rest for 1 minute 30 seconds (timed)

    1 x12 with 110 lbs (failure....but it wasn't muscle burning type failure...on the 12th rep I was still feeling alright but when I tried to get 13th rep, I just couldn't move my arms...they were just paralyzed and I had to stop the set).


    Can someone explain what exactly happened here in terms of muscle biology? Did I use up all my deltoid glycogen? Did Type 1 muscle fibers tire out and type 2 were taking over? Did my CNS get overloaded? Did I burn up all my shoulder ATP??


    By the way, in case you're wondering, I'm experimenting with low 1 RM maxes (30-50%) and doing sets to failure because I read in an article that you still get muscle hypertrophy whether you use 30% or 80% as long as you do more reps (~30 reps) with the lower 1-rm max.

    Thanks!
    No you aren't immediately exhausting muscle glycogen by taking one set to failure, and you aren't even really exhausting intramuscular creatine and ATP (adenosine triphosphate, which is the chemical oxidized by muscle cells) stores. In the short term you will metabolically fatigue fast twitch fibres such that they may be inhibited by reversal of ion channels through lactic acid production, but these recover quickly via "lactic shuttle" ATP production whereby more ATP is produced locally from byproducts of oxidation, although this process is not 100% efficient.

    When you perform you shoulder press sets to failure, temporary paralysis is caused by:
    1.) Afore mentioned inhibition via ion channel reversal from LA buildup which is then compounded by:
    2.) Circulatory restriction - heart must pump blood up to delts, which are swollen from release of NO and H20 further restricting IM bloodflow
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by BennyMagoo79 View Post
    No you aren't immediately exhausting muscle glycogen by taking one set to failure, and you aren't even really exhausting intramuscular creatine and ATP (adenosine triphosphate, which is the chemical oxidized by muscle cells) stores. In the short term you will metabolically fatigue fast twitch fibres such that they may be inhibited by reversal of ion channels through lactic acid production, but these recover quickly via "lactic shuttle" ATP production whereby more ATP is produced locally from byproducts of oxidation, although this process is not 100% efficient.

    When you perform you shoulder press sets to failure, temporary paralysis is caused by:
    1.) Afore mentioned inhibition via ion channel reversal from LA buildup which is then compounded by:
    2.) Circulatory restriction - heart must pump blood up to delts, which are swollen from release of NO and H20 further restricting IM bloodflow
    Thanks for responding bro. I was wondering if by doing light weight burn out sets in the beginning would exhaust type 1 muscle fibers and then I could do a standard pyramid training to target the type 2 muscle fibers.
    "A dumbbell is a man's best friend"

  4. Quote Originally Posted by Cheeky Monkey View Post
    Thanks for responding bro. I was wondering if by doing light weight burn out sets in the beginning would exhaust type 1 muscle fibers and then I could do a standard pyramid training to target the type 2 muscle fibers.
    For metabolic purposes, dropsets are probably the most effective method for burning out both oxidative and glycolytic fibres.

  5. Question regarding what is happening to muscle when it's being trained?

    Real simple. Muscle is torn.
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    www.millenniumsport.net
    50% off the entire month of January! AMJAN50
    •   
       

  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. what is happening to PES?
    By prebzmaister in forum PES
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-15-2018, 01:51 PM
  2. What happens to muscle when cutting?
    By bell1986 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-02-2018, 07:56 AM
  3. What is happening to me?
    By tss230 in forum Natural Bodybuilding
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-01-2012, 02:01 PM
  4. What is your #1 flaw when it comes to this lifestyle?
    By pistonpump in forum General Chat
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 09-23-2007, 02:12 PM
  5. what is happening to me?
    By jeff33333 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-19-2006, 06:43 PM
Log in
Log in