How to motivate son...

Ndnpower

Awards
Any advice to get my son involved in bodybuilding an the healthy life style. Im 44 ran track an marathons when I was in my teens an early 20s till the iron big but 115 lbs when I graduated high school, an got as high as 205 when I was doin serious powerlifting, I'm 5 9, worked very hard thru trial an error, did somethings I'm not proud of, now I have this knowledge on how to workout an ear right an im 170. My son is 12 5'11 160 already but is caring a tummy, he's pretty bottom heavy from his mom, didn't get the big delts from my side. We don't have the best relationship, but really want him to be healthy, his mom is 5 9 an 400lbs when we were married i helped her get to a healthy 180,but she gained it all back after divorce. Just don't want him to struggle thru life like she did growing up. He has great potential, his is suppose to end up 6'7. Sorry I rambled on, want the best for him, an get him interested in more than his phone an gaming. Maybe try a sport maybe in 7th grade he will next year, I'm thinkin he would be a good discuss thrower. Thx

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Hes gonna have to want to do it. Try to find something he finds enjoyment in. He wont stick with it if he only does it cause hes made to do it.

DGator86

DGator86

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Team sports. Hands down.
He will make life long friends and eventually if he sticks with it, lots of girlfriends. Football is an easy answer and he’s young enough to get the skills. Not to mention with his size, some weight training and hitting people will be good for him.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Team sports. Hands down.
He will make life long friends and eventually if he sticks with it, lots of girlfriends. Football is an easy answer and he’s young enough to get the skills. Not to mention with his size, some weight training and hitting people will be good for him.
Tell him football or basketball can get him a division 1 scholarship and hot chicks.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Try and improve your relationship with him and you’ll have better success Assisting him with health changes.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Keeping him active in different sports and hobbies is going to be number 1. You supporting him and keeping him in every element will give him so many new experiences. Something I wish I had but didn’t. You may not be able to control what he eat but if you provide an avenue for him to stay busy then you can’t lose.

Ndnpower

Awards
Thanks guys, ill go with some of your advise. An once his testosterone kicks in an he has girls on his mind, he might be motivated more to train with his old man, he has watched an worked out alittle with me an my brother. My daugher loves working out its hard to keep her out of my gym, shes only 4 tho. Again thanks for the replies, gives me some things to think about.

Viatrophy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
He's 12 so he should eat better. If you're fat by 12, you're eating wrong. Unfortunately, I'm guessing his diet is inspired by his mother.

BOSSMAN

BOSSMAN

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Be a dad first, be his friend second. "Hey son, wanna go shoot some hoops? Wanna go throw the football around?" 12 years old from a broken home, try to get him straight now! A teenager with no sports or hobbies is suspect for disaster. Not saying yours, but I've seen it a million times. Especially coming from a broken home. Tighten that relationship up first and take it from their. Best of luck!! Sometimes just put it in front of him. Get a cheap curl bar, or some dumbells. Leave them somewhere that it will be easy for him to see. Never know he might just pick them up on his. own. You will be responsible for what he eats while on your clock. Again, best of luck to you bro.

Sam stack

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Tell him that he won’t have many friends if he’s fat. He’ll be bullied for it and he won’t get the girl he wants. That’s what motivated me. I was fat my whole childhood and has to go thru what I just mentioned. Worse it my best friend was ripped and had everything I didn’t. Also stress the importance of sports. Playing sports well makes you popular, and gets you the girls

Sam stack

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If he doesn’t focus on fitness he could end up on drugs. That’s what happened to me at 13

Sam stack

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Druggies are more welcoming than any other friend group

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Take him to an isolated forest and leave him to fend for himself.... years later you will go back and he will be an Alexander skarsgard look alike, all lean and tall n ****... probably been punching on with apes for years and barely speaks any english anymore.

You're welcome.

GreekTheBrick

GreekTheBrick

Awards
  • Established
As others told this already, Improve relationship fist. Then just say nothing, show him only. Let him see your eating and training habits. Not as an example that he must follow. Let him see you cooking, even if he is not interested, or he sits in the cough, get up and cook something healthy to eat both. He wont eat, say nothing, just do it again and again over time.

If you dont have some home training equipment, do some bodyweight moves just like it is your daily routine. Dont tell him to do so. Let him watch you train every time even for 15minutes. Dont be cocky, dont be arrogant, dont be critical. After time he will imitate you.

Children dont do what the are told to, they do what they are shown.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
As others told this already, Improve relationship fist. Then just say nothing, show him only. Let him see your eating and training habits. Not as an example that he must follow. Let him see you cooking, even if he is not interested, or he sits in the cough, get up and cook something healthy to eat both. He wont eat, say nothing, just do it again and again over time.

If you dont have some home training equipment, do some bodyweight moves just like it is your daily routine. Dont tell him to do so. Let him watch you train every time even for 15minutes. Dont be cocky, dont be arrogant, dont be critical. After time he will imitate you.

This!

Solid dad advice right here.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

So good. This is how I got into iron at age 17 when the only interest I had was in touring with my skateboard team. I always watched my dad boxing and hitting the weights and he just asked me how I intended to protect myself and friends if someone came up messing with us. Never pressured, just asked a question and showed by example.

We've been doing this with our girls and now they are so conscious of activity and eating well that they always notice the crap other kids bring to school.

Also, ask what his interests are, not every kid is into team sports. I certainly wasn't. I liked to skateboard, box, run track, etc.. all individual activities. My daughters are both different, one prefers team sports and the other is more into individual.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

Yep yep yep - perfect comment