Chest will not grow!

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix rising
    Another thought I had:
    Maybe you are going to need some more calories. You might have to sacrifice single digit body fat to pack on mass for your chest. I'm talking about lean bulking here. Would you mind bumping your body fat up in the 10-12 % range if that means packing on quality slabs of chest muscle?
    this is the best answer I see here, IMHO

2. Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phoenix rising
    Another thought I had:
    Maybe you are going to need some more calories. You might have to sacrifice single digit body fat to pack on mass for your chest. I'm talking about lean bulking here. Would you mind bumping your body fat up in the 10-12 % range if that means packing on quality slabs of chest muscle?

Quote Originally Posted by goes4ever
    I've heard that having some body fat on you is good for building muscle, is that true?
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by goes4ever
    I would do whatever i needed to to get my chest to pack on some mass. If that means a little extra fat the so be it cause i can always get rid of the fat.

4. I agree with Jminis and LakeMount's attention to rep ratios as key to development. Drop the weight, slow down the tempo and get ready for more pain and growth than ever before

5. Quote Originally Posted by handzilla
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phoenix rising
    Another thought I had:

I've heard that having some body fat on you is good for building muscle, is that true?
    I would hate to give out any false scientific information here because I'm no expert. In saying that though I believe there would some positive hormonal shifts (testosterone, leptin, thyroid, etc) for males to be in th 10-12 bf% range rather than in single digits year round that would be benefical to the drug unassisted athlete. Where is Bobo when we need him to say I dont know what I'm talkiing about ?

Please someone feel free to correct me if I'm way off base.

6. You might want to check out Chad Waterbury articles. IMHO he writes some good stuff on training. His articles are over on testosterone.net.

7. I am wondering how poor back development can affect chest growth and vice versa?
    I have herad that poor back development can hinder chest growth.

I have had problems with chest growth as well. Part of my problem was my delts were
    doing all the work on my compound movements. Also my back needs some serious
    attention.

8. Start your back workouts with hanging-chins on the pull up bar. If you can't do hanging chins, try to just do regular pull-ups. Once you work your way up to weighted hanging-chins (with good form) you should notice some decent development. Depens on how heavy you are. I like to do stupid heavy one arm dumbell rows as a second movement. I break my back workout up into width/thickness/width/thickness/detail/detail movements. My favorite detail movement right now is a seated low cable one arm row for high reps.

Hanging-chins: Grasp pull-up bar with a pronated (Hands-foreward) grip, pull your body up until the bar is below your chin or up to your upper chest, lower body slowly with emphasis on controlling the motion, stop just before extending your shoulders (don't just let your weight hang), pause for a 2 count, repeat. If you can get 12 reps, add weight until you struggle for 8-10 or less depening on your goals.

9. I have the same problem. I learned a good way to gain made muscle size in my exercise physiology class. Supprisingly the eccentric contraction is much more stronger then the concentric, so negatives would deffinitely help. Number of sets should be greater then 3 and the load should be set with a range of 6RM to 12RM. Also, the rest interval should be short, usually not more than 90s (taken strraight from my textbook). Goodluck

10. Quote Originally Posted by Got2bbig
    I believe i may have tried everything to get my chest to match the rest of me but it refuses to grow. Im 5'9 about 190 n around 8-9% bf. Need some urgent advice on how to get some maximal pec growth. I dont have a prob puttin on muscle until it comes to my chest. Someone has to have some secret insight or something and the help would be greatly appreciated.
    Use to have this problem. Two words....

DECLINE BENCH.

I do it instead of flat every other workout. Works great for me
    •   

11. Dungeon:

I fortunate to have a weight assist chinup and dip machine at the gym. My back workouts have been getting better since. I am staying away from the one arm dumbell rows for now until my lower back is doing better. I have been using hammer machines instead. I have been concentrating on wide grips for everything lately. What are you doing for thickness?

12. Basically when you pull a weight from overhead with a medium to wide grip the bulk of the movement is stimulating muscles that are responsible for widening. Conversly when you pull a weight in toward your stomach from a bent over position or seated it works toward thickness. My favorite is HEAVY one arm dumbells. I will usually set up a back workout like this:

Weighted chins
    body weight +25lb/45lb/90lb/90lb
    1 set of hanging chins till nausea

4 sets of One arm db rows
    HEAVY usually up to 2 sets of 120lbs (they are the biggest db's in the gym )

Seated overhead cable pulls
    These are cool, you sit on a bench below the high cable pulley with a D-handle in each hand (think crucifix), as you pull the weight down and back rotate your wrists from pronated to supinated.
    4 sets (pin weight to the rack)

Dorian style bent rows. 4 sets as heavy as I can go without bouncing the weight.

Seated one arm cable pulls/Reverse close grip chins. 4 sets in superset fashion with high reps/moderate weight. When I finish puking, I drive home slowly.

You can sub in T-bar rows for the DB rows. And i personally think that the Dip/chin assist machines are good, but they deemphasise the hardest part of the lift: stabilization. Try to work up to free-swinging bodyweight stuff.

Sorry for highjacking!

Similar Forum Threads

1. Chest will not grow!!!
    By mattymatt83 in forum Natural Bodybuilding
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-04-2012, 01:25 AM
  2. tri's with chest or not?
    By spatch in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 12-22-2008, 08:35 AM
  3. Chest: just not growing
    By TruffleShuffle in forum Training Forum