Working legs overrated? For some people they could be correct?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  1. Working legs overrated? For some people they could be correct?

So lets take a guy who competes in physique. I've had judges tell me and these were top judges, that they don't give a **** about legs. Never have, never will in that division and will never ever get a competitor any points. What they do care about is back, abs, and shoulder development. Chest really doesn't matter either in physique.

But anyway, do you think focusing on legs is overrated compared to other muscle groups? What are your thoughts? I see so many guys out there who go crazy with leg days. I think we all know on this board you can build a wonderful looking body without really worrying about legs. Sure you may want to throw in some leg work so you look more balanced but other than that unless you are competing in mens bodybuilding or a power lifter you would be better off focusing heavily on other muscle groups.

We do know that leg work is great for range of motion and flexibility so I would think that a guy unless he's being judged on legs would benefit more from using leg day to work on that instead of focusing on muscle mass. Just don't ever , and I repeat ever, ignore exercises for calves. Everyone can benefit from a nice set of those and those are the sexiest part of the leg anyway.

2. I personally think so. I've never focused on my legs a great deal. One fortunate side effect of my former obesity is that my legs had to get big just to haul my fat @ss around!

But unless you're looking to be a mass monster or playing a sport where leg strength is needed, I think just throwing a set of 20 heavy-ish squats or plyometrics with every other workout is plenty to get enough size and definition for people to notice your legs
    old enough to know better, too young to care
    •   

3. Your completely overlooking the fact that legs are the largest muscle group and therefore training them has the potential for higher test release which leads to greater gains in other groups.

For example studies have proven that training legs and arms leads to more growth in arms than training arms alone.......

4. Quote Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
    Your completely overlooking the fact that legs are the largest muscle group and therefore training them has the potential for higher test release which leads to greater gains in other groups.

For example studies have proven that training legs and arms leads to more growth in arms than training arms alone.......
    And I'm sure most girls will laugh at your little lady legs too lol

5. Quote Originally Posted by Smont View Post
    And I'm sure most girls will laugh at your little lady legs too lol
    This is also true. Nothing worse than a sh1t set of wheels on a guy
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
    This is also true. Nothing worse than a sh1t set of wheels on a guy
    As long as there fairly in line with the upper body I think it looks ok. If someone doesn't work out and are skinny all around I think it looks better then having arms bigger then your legs or being a fat guy with skinny legs.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Smont View Post
    As long as there fairly in line with the upper body I think it looks ok. If someone doesn't work out and are skinny all around I think it looks better then having arms bigger then your legs or being a fat guy with skinny legs.
    Sorry that’s what I meant, on people who train (I sometimes forget not everyone lives at the gym lol)

8. I do agree with both of you as well. I just think that working your legs with compound lifts multiple times a week is better than a dedicated leg day.
    Nothing worse than this chit
    Name:  legday-8.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  37.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    old enough to know better, too young to care

9. I have to vouch for the fact that training legs definitely helps develop your overall physique. I'm a total leg day dodger. I can bench more than I can squat... And that's quite embarrassing. When I have incorporated squats and deadlifts to my routine though the boost to the cns gives an overall feeling of well being that improves every workout regardless of what is being trained.

10. I agree that legs are great to train and they make me feel great. I love training legs but my question was really based around if a guy should spend more time building his legs than other muscle groups. Especially if he's into mens physique or competes in that division. To me legs should be the last priority but I'm not saying ignore them. Building a back is going to lead to way more wins or top 5 finishes than a good set of legs in MP. So if a guy has a day where he has to choose between back or shoulders vs legs well he would be much better off focusing on back or shoulders. He can always throw in a little leg work as well that day.

11. Quote Originally Posted by LoveCompeting View Post
    I agree that legs are great to train and they make me feel great. I love training legs but my question was really based around if a guy should spend more time building his legs than other muscle groups. Especially if he's into mens physique or competes in that division. To me legs should be the last priority but I'm not saying ignore them. Building a back is going to lead to way more wins or top 5 finishes than a good set of legs in MP. So if a guy has a day where he has to choose between back or shoulders vs legs well he would be much better off focusing on back or shoulders. He can always throw in a little leg work as well that day.
    I would agree for aesthetic purposes. Probably worth throwing some deadlifts in though just to get everything firing.

12. Iíll throw my hat in on this because I have never liked training legs. However, with that said there are way too many benefits to overlook them. How are you supposed to train heavy upper body when your legs canít support the weight? I am anti sitting where ever possible so that I work the stabilizers so for things like rows or shoulder press I like to use standing over head press or standing bent rows. Without my legs being built up and strong enough to give me that base I wouldnít be able to push or pull the same weight. Thatís just from me listening to my body but Iím pretty sure science would back me up. Not to mention I have the best sex after I rip some heavy squats or deads... again thatís just me but science will back me on that too.

13. Quote Originally Posted by LoveCompeting View Post
    I agree that legs are great to train and they make me feel great. I love training legs but my question was really based around if a guy should spend more time building his legs than other muscle groups. Especially if he's into mens physique or competes in that division. To me legs should be the last priority but I'm not saying ignore them. Building a back is going to lead to way more wins or top 5 finishes than a good set of legs in MP. So if a guy has a day where he has to choose between back or shoulders vs legs well he would be much better off focusing on back or shoulders. He can always throw in a little leg work as well that day.
    You donít have to go full Tom Platz, but you should treat legs like a real muscle group and hit them with the same intensity as other muscles. Why are you choosing between hitting back and legs? Find a program that has both. Missing one workout is different, but for a habit, just do them all.
    Performax Labs Online Rep.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com

14. Quote Originally Posted by Wobmarvel View Post
    I have to vouch for the fact that training legs definitely helps develop your overall physique. I'm a total leg day dodger. I can bench more than I can squat... And that's quite embarrassing. When I have incorporated squats and deadlifts to my routine though the boost to the cns gives an overall feeling of well being that improves every workout regardless of what is being trained.
    I used to never train legs and now I really enjoy it because I’ve also noticed it gives a good sense of well-being.
  15. AnabolicMinds Site Rep

You and NPC Compete have a lot in common with making similar off the wall threads:

The Squat is the most overrated exercise for Bodybuilding. True or false?
    Anabolic Minds Site Rep
    www.anabolicminds.com

16. Quote Originally Posted by The Solution View Post
    You and NPC Compete have a lot in common with making similar off the wall threads:

The Squat is the most overrated exercise for Bodybuilding. True or false?
    And they both make so many threads that you have to sift through there titles just to find one that's not there's. He literally has the notification section 75% to himself

17. There needs to be a limit on how many threads a week you can make lol

18. Quote Originally Posted by Smont View Post
    And they both make so many threads that you have to sift through there titles just to find one that's not there's. He literally has the notification section 75% to himself
    Edit. 50% I counted

19. This is his doppelgšnger!
    Psalms 62:1-62:2

20. Most athletes don't have large legs
    I am a carnivore (diet based exclusively on meat)- Here is my diet and training log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/303950-im-carnivore.html
  21. Working legs overrated? For some people they could be correct?

Since when does Chest not count in physique OP? Also, good luck building good delts and arms never training chest...

No chest? What are you smoking man?
    Name:  7E163F4C-A778-4E59-B7DC-E8EDDC361D6A-301-00000009B704E10B.jpeg
Views: 169
Size:  36.4 KB
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com

22. Life is not a bb show. For true strength, you need strong legs.

23. Quote Originally Posted by BennyMagoo79 View Post
    Life is not a bb show. For true strength, you need strong legs.
    Most bodybuilders have strong legs too though lol. Especially relative to the average person or even gym goer.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com

24. Quote Originally Posted by BennyMagoo79 View Post
    Life is not a bb show. For true strength, you need strong legs.
    Bingo. Who wants to go through life intentionally benching as much as you squat?? I donít base my standards for personal aesthetics on whatever Classic Physique judges deem appropriate - I want to look strong, not like I have Polio.

The letter Y is not a sexy look. Woman like a full firm ass, and youíre not getting that from any amount of Lat Pulldowns. Give the legs as much attention as you give your other muscles.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  25. Working legs overrated? For some people they could be correct?

I havenít did any leg exercises in the last 10 years,until 2 weeks ago. I started 10lbs bag squats,and Barbell Shoulder Press Squats. I love the overall feeling that I receive during after the workout!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Some people shouldn't be allowed in the gym
    By freqfly in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-19-2009, 04:39 AM
  2. WHY CREATINE DOESN'T WORK! (for some people)
    By AndroAnarchy in forum Supplements
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-02-2006, 11:50 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-19-2005, 03:44 AM
  4. What works for some (another overtraining rant)
    By iron addict in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 02-17-2004, 09:47 PM