Rear delt training

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by BEAST73 View Post
    Light weight barbell behind the neck press,and I have been doing them for years now,with no issues.
    I'm a fan of heavier btn jerk push/press.. but I'm not super strong so my heavy is still pretty light on that to be safer

2. Quote Originally Posted by AlexPowell View Post
    Anyone else do the face pulls? I do this on the cable machine with the rope attachment. Sit on a flat bench. Pull either to jaw level or to over the head and externally rotate
    This.
    As others stated start with behind the neck OHP.
    Move on to heavy/cheated upright rows.
    Finish with the facepulls.

That makes vertical push, vertical pull and horizontal pull, all hitting your rear delts. No way they don't grow with that.
    •   

3. I change it up

This week I did bent over db laterals , went up to 65 lbs

one week I may do reverse pec dec and cables

one week facepulls and/or bent over one arm cable laterals...
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    www.millenniumsport.net
    AMDEC50
  4. AnabolicMinds Site Rep

Do Facepulls like this. Best MMC and gets rid of all momentum and helps get them into a stretched position

Anabolic Minds Site Rep
    www.anabolicminds.com

5. https://youtu.be/MiRAi2KOfRQ?t=76

https://youtu.be/_0GtqdS6qfo?t=40 like but with palms facing eachother and thumb up

These really blew my rear delts up, do the second one nearly ever workout 3x15-20 and the two together at the end of a back workout
    •   

6. To my knowledge, no one has suggested executing the movement with a fully protracted scapula. Doing so will help to inhibit the involvement of the scapula.
    ARA/ Evomuse Log.... Follow and laugh at my mediocre results http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/282586-evomuse-ara-log.html#post5403818

7. Quote Originally Posted by BlockBuilder View Post
    This is in my opinion the one muscle group where a shorter range of motion helps to directly target the muscle
    Bingo! This is the ticket!

I also use an "S-Curve" path of motion that maximizes rear delt activation. Maybe one of u fellas who just walked out of your summer kinesiology course can elaborate on the path more clearly than I'm doing.

8. Was just listening to the hatecast where they talked about this. Btn press and upright rows are the best compound movements for it. Just don't immediately try heavy heavy weight since you aren't as familiar with that ROM and may not have strong rear delts to start with. Reverse peck deck and reverse cable flies are other decent options. They also went over how those movements got a bad rep from a couple articles in the past written by someone who likely fcked up their shoulders by doing db chest flies and over extending.

9. Behind the Neck Press and upright rows,is the Bread and Butter to building some massive rear delts! If done Safely and with Proper form.

10. i think like others have said, most gym goers are number chasing, its very rarely you see someone in the gym training with thought

https://www.youtube.com/embed/HxFs72mYYsM

11. Has anyone tried the "Klokov Presses"? You do them behind the neck, full reset every rep, snatch grip
    I used to do these a lot and my shoulders are probably my best body part
    I am a carnivore (diet based exclusively on meat)- Here is my diet and training log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/303950-im-carnivore.html

12. Quote Originally Posted by AlexPowell View Post
    Has anyone tried the "Klokov Presses"? You do them behind the neck, full reset every rep, snatch grip
    I used to do these a lot and my shoulders are probably my best body part
    Any reference materials showing it or maybe a video?.. just want to learn more about it possibly

13. Quote Originally Posted by D3x View Post
    Any reference materials showing it or maybe a video?.. just want to learn more about it possibly
    I am a carnivore (diet based exclusively on meat)- Here is my diet and training log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/303950-im-carnivore.html

14. Isn't that just a behind the neck press?

15. Quote Originally Posted by BEAST73 View Post
    Behind the Neck Press and upright rows,is the Bread and Butter to building some massive rear delts! If done Safely and with Proper form.
    I went heavy on behind the neck ive things didnt feel right, got some shoulder minor injury . That said, some can do it without issue like Kevin levrone. For some people Ive talked with it seems to not be the best exercise. If I do it I say go lighter, dont push it.

Cable Upright rows Ive found work pretty well.
    www.millenniumsport.net
    AMDEC50

16. Quote Originally Posted by John Smeton View Post
    I went heavy on behind the neck ive things didnt feel right, got some shoulder minor injury . That said, some can do it without issue like Kevin levrone. For some people Ive talked with it seems to not be the best exercise. If I do it I say go lighter, dont push it.

I only press 50lbs or 60lbs with high reps,when doing BNP. I also find it more easier to do it with the Ez-bar over the Straight bar.

17. Quote Originally Posted by John Smeton View Post

These are dangerous relatively to you ROM and your poportions. Individuals with broad clavicles have a greater mobility and can lower the bar when doing behind the neck OHP, contrary to individuals with narrow clavicles who are risking shoulder impringment when doing so. Anyway any exercice causing chronic pain should be stopped.

18. Quote Originally Posted by Chamaan View Post
    These are dangerous relatively to you ROM and your poportions. Individuals with broad clavicles have a greater mobility and can lower the bar when doing behind the neck OHP, contrary to individuals with narrow clavicles who are risking shoulder impringment when doing so. Anyway any exercice causing chronic pain should be stopped.
    my shoulders have always been a relatively strong body part and grew easily. Ive had a lot of comments on them , esp when I used to press a lot. I dont press too much but will from time to time, more for a change up, bc I feel i get the most out of lateral stuff. In fact i didnt do any pressing for at least a year on shoulder day. Agreed 100 % , if it hurts stop it immediately!!!!!!!!!!!

old picture from last year. tried to upload competition photo , taking too long
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    www.millenniumsport.net
    AMDEC50

19. @Johnsmeton,Great Job!

20. Quote Originally Posted by AlexPowell View Post
    Klokovs a freaking beast

21. Quote Originally Posted by D3x View Post
    Isn't that just a behind the neck press?
    Basically. Just a BTN press with snatch grip. You ever watch any of klokovs videos? Dude snatched like 450 lbs clean and jerks well over 500. OHS over 500. Hes one of my all time favorite lifters

22. Tried a variation of machine behind the neck mimic movement and did one light set and quit, just didn't feel right.

did the cable upright rows though
    www.millenniumsport.net
    AMDEC50
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. post ur fav rear delt lift
    By Brolic in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-22-2008, 04:29 PM
  2. Best for rear delt mass?
    By handzilla in forum Training Forum