Bad back now what ?

Phoenix rising

Awards
I think I've read before that Bobo said he had a bad lower back. I'm getting an MRI this Saturday to see if I have a bad disc. I am currently having problems with sciatica. I was wondering how would one could still contiue to build an impressive set of wheels with a bad back? I know most people would say use the leg press instead of soing squats if you have a bad back. I have found for my self that leg presses are worse for my back than squats and yes I'm using correct form with out going down to low. Is trying to be competitive at bodybuilding over when you have a bad disc in the lower lumbar or is there a way to train around this ?

Niko

Board Supporter
Awards
Go to Ironmind.com and look into their hip squat belt. It's worn in a similiar fashion as a dip belt. You can go heavy with it without loading weight on your back. Also try uni lateral exercises for your legs. Reverse hypers are an amazing exercise also for the posterior chain and help to alleviate a lot of discomfort. When you get back to lifting add in some hangs from a chin bar after every workout.

First and foremost though is find a decent physician and most likely a physical therapist and follow what they say.

I have herniated and degenerated discs in the lumbar and cervical regions of my spine. My Dr. at the time told me to nerver lift again. After much trial and error I am now back to squatting and DL'ing so there's always hope. Just be diligent and smart, most of all listen to your body.

Best of luck bro.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Just take it easy, I was the one with the bad back..I had a lumbar fusion 2 years ago.. and if you rush things YOU will pay dearly...

Phoenix rising

Awards
Go to Ironmind.com and look into their hip squat belt. It's worn in a similiar fashion as a dip belt. You can go heavy with it without loading weight on your back. Also try uni lateral exercises for your legs. Reverse hypers are an amazing exercise also for the posterior chain and help to alleviate a lot of discomfort. When you get back to lifting add in some hangs from a chin bar after every workout.

First and foremost though is find a decent physician and most likely a physical therapist and follow what they say.

I have herniated and degenerated discs in the lumbar and cervical regions of my spine. My Dr. at the time told me to nerver lift again. After much trial and error I am now back to squatting and DL'ing so there's always hope. Just be diligent and smart, most of all listen to your body.

Best of luck bro.
Niko I was checking out the squat belt on iron mind and I thought it looked good. Looking at the belt it looks like I would have to build some type of blocks to squat off. Any suggestions on what to dofor this? Do you have any thoughts on the saftey squat bar? I've used one in the past when I had access to one. I was thinking that might be an option and I was also thinking about the diamond shape deadlift bar as an option.

I saw the reverse hyper machine. Maybe I could buy one for the gym and work something out with them. Is there a way to perform this exercise without a machine ?

Phoenix rising

Awards
There are 2 old school exercises that I have never seen any one do that I remembered seeing in Dr Squats's Power Book called a Jefferson Squat and barbell hack squat.

Can anyone comment on these exercises as viable options?

Niko

Board Supporter
Awards
Phoenix,

First and foremost is get the MRI done then evaluated before getting back to training.

When I re-started lifting I didn't want to place too heavy a load on my spine and I think the Safety Squat Bar would do just that. As far as the reverse hypers go, I use a regular hyper but I face the opposite way. I rig some bands to the frame and hold a light dumbell between my ankles. Not as good as the real deal but does the job well enough until I can save some money for one from Elite. Jefferson Squats are decent just take a little getting used to. Hack Squats I can't comment on because they hurt my knees way too much.

As far as constructing platforms, my cousin built mine for me so I cant help you there sorry.

Phoenix rising

Awards

Best of luck bro.
I just got my MRI summary back today with the following results:
L1-2 There is a mild generalized narrowing of the intervertebral disc
L2-3 Normal
L3-4 Normal
L4-5 There is a minimal narrowing of the intervertebral disc. There is very small central disc herniatiion, slightly eccentric to the left. This is of the protrusion type. It does not appear to be causing any nerve root compression.
L5-S1 There is a central disc herniatiion, protrusion type, which is small to moderate in size. It does appear to extend to contact the medial aspect of the S1 roots bilaterally, but no frank lesions are seen

bert4332

Awards
I just got my MRI summary back today with the following results:
L1-2 There is a mild generalized narrowing of the intervertebral disc
L2-3 Normal
L3-4 Normal
L4-5 There is a minimal narrowing of the intervertebral disc. There is very small central disc herniatiion, slightly eccentric to the left. This is of the protrusion type. It does not appear to be causing any nerve root compression.
L5-S1 There is a central disc herniatiion, protrusion type, which is small to moderate in size. It does appear to extend to contact the medial aspect of the S1 roots bilaterally, but no frank lesions are seen
Like Matt D. I've had my share of back problems. I've had 4 back surgeries, the last in January. First get some Lumber Steroid Injections (LSI) from a good anaesthesiologist. They don't always work for some people but they work for the majority. If the LSI work, don't get stupid and start going crazy on the amout of weight you pile on. Remember you HAVE a herniation, just because the LSI calmed the nerves doesn't mean your herniation went away. Since you have a herniation you're prone to have a full blown rupture. Once you rupture it, your're screwed. You're gonna have to get cut, the operation isn't bad, and neither is the recovery, but it increases substantially that you will blow it again, especially if you lift.

My leggs have definitely taken a back seat when going heavy. You just have to make a choice, lift heavy and you might not blow it out and see greater gains than you would if you used moderate weight. But if you do blow it out you're setting yourself back months. IMO, if you're not a professional BB, it's not worth it.

Good Luck

almcdon

Awards
Listen to Matthew D he knows what he is talking about. You do not want to rush this type of an injury. If you have sciatica their is a good possibility that you have a herniated disc
I herniated L5/S1 about fours years ago,their were days I couldn't get out of bed. I self rehabilitated myself and four years later I would say I'm about 98%.