Please Critique this workout

dunimous

Board Supporter
Awards
Hey guys I am looking to start a new workout routine and I have never tried a full body routine so I decided to try one out for awhile. Here is what I am planning on doing.

Monday- 3sets of 4-6 Heavy as possible
Flat Barbell Bench
Squat
T-bar Row(Wide Grip)
Sitting barbell shoulder press
Weighted Crunches

Wednesday- 3 sets 12-15
Dumbell flat bench
Squat
Wide Grip pull downs(Lat pulldowns)
Sitting dumbell shoulder press
Hanging leg raises

Friday- 3 sets 6-10
Some type of chest exercise(maybe weighted dips)
Squat
Wide grip pullups or deadlifts(probably deadlifts)
Standing Barbell shoulder press
some type of ab exercise

I would like to know what you guys think of this and I was wondering if it would be good to incorporate any other exercise maybe some bicep/tricep direct work.
Any advise would be very helpful. Thanks in advance, Taylor

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
I definitely think that needs more critiquing. There is no way you'll get away with squatting three times per week. We don't even strength train like that for football. ESPECIALLY with the rep amounts you have.

combat_action

combat_action

Awards
Needs some more organization IMO. Look at the total volume per day...5x3=15 reps on Monday, 14x3=42 reps on Wednesday, 3x8=24 reps on Friday per exercise (more or less). Maybe start off more HST'esque with the same reps ranges per every few weeks. 2 weeks of 12, then 8, then 5. You want to hit your muscles 3 times per week so you need to keep it lower total volume to recover in less than 48 hours to hit them again.

Phoenix rising

Awards
I would prefer a 4 day push / pull split ex Mon (Push) Tues (Pull) Wed (Off) Thur (Push) Fri (Pull) Weekends (Off) I think you would like that better. Thats my 2 cents worth and I would add direct arm training.

It would help to know your age, training experience level, diet, and goal.

dunimous

Board Supporter
Awards
thanks

thanks for the replies!
I am looking for a 3 day split. I have been training for 3 years. Seriously for 1 year. I am 21. I am looking to lose fat gain strength and size. Any help would be great. Would this workout be good if my body can handle it? I am trying it out this week and so far it is going good but I will see how I feel. Any advise will be of great help. Thanks, Taylor

combat_action

combat_action

Awards
thanks for the replies!
I am looking for a 3 day split. I have been training for 3 years. Seriously for 1 year. I am 21. I am looking to lose fat gain strength and size. Any help would be great. Would this workout be good if my body can handle it? I am trying it out this week and so far it is going good but I will see how I feel. Any advise will be of great help. Thanks, Taylor
I don't think it would for the reasons I already stated. Why don't you consider all the advice given? If you disregard, then don't ask....

dunimous

Board Supporter
Awards
ok

ok I didn't mean for it to sound like I wasn't considering the advice you guys gave me. WHat should I do to make the routine I have better. I am not positive on what you meant. DId you mean doing it like this?

First two weeks 3 sets of 12 each day second two weeks 3 sets of 8 each day and third two weeks 3 sets of 5 each day?

Monday
Flat Barbell Bench
Squat
T-bar Row(Wide Grip)
Sitting barbell shoulder press
Weighted Crunches

Wednesday
Dumbell flat bench
Squat
Wide Grip pull downs(Lat pulldowns)
Sitting dumbell shoulder press
Hanging leg raises

Friday
Some type of chest exercise(maybe weighted dips)
Squat
Wide grip pullups or deadlifts(probably deadlifts)
Standing Barbell shoulder press
some type of ab exercise

thanks for the help!