Do I cut or bulk? ASAP HELP

Jsgym

Awards
Posted similar to this before without a knowledge on my own behalf, but now with an improvement of this. I’m 6”4 and 90kg with around 17%, I have a skinny build and always have. Biceps measure at 15in, I started bulking at around 3000cals for a while and believe that the dirty bulking caught up with me and started gaining a bit of a belly. For the past week or so I have been 2200 cals and have been feeling a lot skinner, is cutting right for me at this moment? Or do I need to gain more size before a cut and worry about the belly later. I’m not bothered about being ‘ripped’ and having popping abs, I want to fill out and gain muscle to look bigger and to suit my heigh frame. Any help will be appreciated.

Jsgym

Awards
So basically, do I carry on having a ‘cut’ or do I eat at a higher level but clean and maybe do more cardio work and ab work, thanks again.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It all depends on what your goal is. If your belly is bothering you, then try a cut for a while. Increase the intensity of your lifting and work in some HIIT cardio.

jackedviking

jackedviking

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My theory is, if you can’t see your abs, then consider cutting until you can. And then you can think about bulking again. But honestly, I haven’t seen my abs in a couple of years, so I changed the rule to “if you can’t see your dick, then consider cutting until you can.” Luckily for me, I can still see my dick, so bulk it is!

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Normally if people ask whether they should bulk or cut they need to cut (and deep down know they should) - much better to lean bulk from a bf nearer 10% than 20%

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Normally if people ask whether they should bulk or cut they need to cut (and deep down know they should) - much better to lean bulk from a bf nearer 10% than 20%
True and very well said! I was struggling with trying not to sound like a jerk, but honestly, if your belly is bothering you, do something about it. If it's not, focus on something else.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
With people I trained in this situation we cycled mini cuts and mini bulks. This will require careful tracking on your part.

The 3000kcal mark is a good starting point. For these mini cuts and bulks you want to be aiming for a 1lb increase or decrease each week.
Make sure you're keeping your food roughly the same throughout. Try not to eat pasta some days and rice others :)

Remove 20% of your calories. The easiest way is probably to take away carbohydrate. So instead of 3000kcal you'll be eating 2400kcal. Monitor your weight. If you do not lose 1lb in a week, remove another 5% of calories. If you lose 1lb then make no changes. Do this for 4 weeks. At the end of the 4 weeks, note down your finishing calories.

Add 20% more calories. For every week you do not gain 1lb, add 5% in calories. If you gain 1lb in a week then make no adjustments. Do this for 4 weeks

Cycle between the calories you need to cut for 4 weeks and the calories needed to gain for 4 weeks. Remember - For each week you don't gain / lose scale weight adjust by 5% and always start each cycle on the calories you were on at the end of the last cycle.

UnicornDrpns

UnicornDrpns

Awards
but dirty bulking is so fun and such a great excuse :)

I do agree with you though on lean bulking. most people take their "bulks" too far.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
but dirty bulking is so fun and such a great excuse :)

I do agree with you though on lean bulking. most people take their "bulks" too far.
It is fun, but the tradeoff is a boring cut unless you want to end up on one of those TLC shows about the people that need to have walls knocked down to get them out of their house!

UnicornDrpns

UnicornDrpns

Awards
you can still grow on a cut, its just going to be slower. I see so many people who bulk up so much that when they cut, I wonder how much muscle they end up losing when they shred down. The nice benefit of bulking is feeling significantly stronger. Being stronger is so addicting... hitting PR's ...oohhhh ahhhh....I hate lifting on a cut. I hate feeling weaker :(