what is best for leg growth with someone w/ a bad back

willc86

Awards
Hi all, I am in my mid 30s and been lifting since my early 20s. can not really do heavy unless its leg press or leg extension, but even then I get some kind of knee pain. I would like to have some leg growth (thinking of doing anabolics later on if that helps)

Should I do a higher rep range? Such as 20 - 30 reps till it burns like hell, or keep it at a weight where 15- 20 reps kill my legs? Or heavy weights/low reps is the best way for growth?

for my upper body, I always used both, so its hard to tell ha ha. But both seemed to work for me.

if you guys have any personal experience, please let me know!

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Have you looked into an iron mind hip squat belt?

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
What's wrong with your back? Knee pain on leg press can sometimes indicate hip dysfunction.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Plenty of ways around a bad back -

1. Would definitely recommend looking into belt squats as alluded to above
2. Make sure your form is on point and you're bracing your core properly.
3. Get creative with exercise selection - you can get tons of growth out of things like bulgarian split squats which should put a lot less stress on your spine.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Can you squat with a light weight? Do you deadlift? As Benny asked - what is wrong with your back?

Obviously I don't disbelieve you personally, but it's hard to give advice with limited info. I have had A LOT of people complain to me about a bad back and they don't REALLY have anything that is not correctable. They just have either poor movement patterns or they are just plain weak and don't know it. The advice I give these people is to do what they believe they can't, and step out of their comfort zones and stop lying to themselves. But this doesn't mean to be STUPID. It means - correct the problem. Start with a light weight and learn everything you can about form and practice, practice, practice that form.

On the other hand - I've also had people with steel in their backs, damaged spines, legit hip or knee issues, etc. - and obviously the advice here will be a little different.

If you are having pain and can't train effectively, steroids will make you stronger, which will amplify whatever you are doing to cause pain in your movement.

One of the best pieces of advice I have for people is to let go of their ego, drop as much weight as needed off the bar and just rep out for form. I think 95-135 pounds is about right for most people here. Just do even a 5 X 5 for squats with 95-135 every other day, for a few weeks. Go to Youtube and lean all you can about the movement - AthleanX is a reliable source of info - and then after 3 weeks or so, just slowly start adding weight on a regular basis. You will get stronger without struggling a lot of the time and your improved form will mean you have less pain doing it.

And if you cannot do that for a more serious reason - then no problems. Just because everyone says "You have to do X exercise" doesn't mean you do. You are TRAINING to be a better version of YOURSELF. You don't have to do any exercise that isn't right or working for you. As long as you're not avoiding an exercise just because it is hard or you have to learn (in other words - be true to yourself) - don't worry about it. Leg extensions, leg presses, leg curls, lunges, hack squats, whatever - there are a ton of exercises out there. Find what you can do without pain and work it.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
20 rep squats and stiff leg deadlifts with a weight you can only do 12-15 reps with. Last reps are kinda rest pause style. The weight is fairly light and you still gotta bust ass the last 5-7 reps. Pre-exhaust, do hamstring curls and leg ext before your big lifts.

On a side note like already asked about your back, and is it injured, permanately injured or just weak , what are you doing to fix it? Have you seen a dr?

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bulgarian squats?
Using about half the weight.

Curiousmonkey

Curiousmonkey

Awards
Do lunges with dumbbells! Easy on the back and knees

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have DDD and when I BB squat I come down super uneven. My hips, spine, shoulder blades are so out of line. I still do them but I go very light and do negative reps focusing on my quads doing all of the work. Other than that, I do tons of super sets with other leg workouts. Some mentioned above.

I do go heavy on reverse hack squat machine. For some reason, my back aligns much better doing that and I am able to go heavy with 0 pain. Usually do 5x5 or window makers (DC training) on that to start off my leg day. Here is an example of my leg routine that I do (keep in mind I hit legs twice a week)

Legs

Workout A

Reverse hack - 5x5 or window makers

Leg press - super set wide stance (sumo style) with close stance

Angled one legged press - light and slow to get that deep stretch

Straight leg deads superset with hamstring curls

DC style calf raises

Workout B

Dumbbell squats standing on an elevated bench (slow a deep)

DB lunges

DB squat jumps

Standing hamstring curls

Leg extensions

That’s basically it but I do change it up.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Deep, deep squats with a narrow stance and a pause at the bottom are very easy on the back. Use the smith machine if you cannot stay upright.

Make sure you have intra abdominal pressure when lifting. This is the cause of 100% of back injuries. The sternum / rib cage should be drawn down by the abs - do not extend the spine. Use your lats to pull the bar down onto your shoulder hard like you're trying to do a pullup through the bar. When you take a deep breath - your sternum should not lift upwards. If it does, you're breathing wrong. Your stomach and obliques should be pushing outwards.

Deep breath
Rib cage down
Pull the bar down
Twist the feet
"Prison defence"
Then squat down

You'll have zero back pain doing this.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Are you on any supps for joints atm?
If not, I’d recommend getting a compound supp for joints, preload that for a week and then focus your training on doing leg extensions and leg curls in addition to what alexpowell said and calf raises. Periodise your rep range so 3-7 one week, 5-12 the next, 12-18 the next to rest your tendons whilst avoiding accomodation.
Remember to warm up extensively (particularly your legs and problematic joints, remembering that the spine contains lots of joints) before each workout. I also find that taking a thermogenic or having some ginger tea pre and intra workout help to warm my joints up