Unique Chest Exercises - AnabolicMinds.com

Unique Chest Exercises

1. New Member

Unique Chest Exercises

I was skimming through Natural Bodybuilding & Fitness august 2005 issue and found an article called Unique Exercises to Chisel Your Chest. (pg .70) written by Steve Downs, C.S.C.S. There are 3 unique chest exercises that I've never heard of. I was wondering if Bobo or others ever heard of the Purvis Press and Snyder Press? These look like some great exercises.

Purvis Press incorperates using ankle cuff attachments on the cable cross over pulleys. The bench is placed in the center of the pulley area. The ankle cuffs are attached to each foream just above the elbow. Then you have a partner hand you a pair of dumbells and then you preform dumbell bench presses.

The Synder press incorperates dumbell bench presses with palms facing each other. You start with the dumbells touching each other on your chest (palms facing each other) and you then press the dumbells up untill the elbows are extended. Throughout the exercise the edges of the weight plates touch each other. Take a short pause at the top of the lift.

2. SJA
    dead sexy wino

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix rising
    Purvis Press incorperates using ankle cuff attachments on the cable cross over pulleys. The bench is placed in the center of the pulley area. The ankle cuffs are attached to each foream just above the elbow. Then you have a partner hand you a pair of dumbells and then you preform dumbell bench presses.

The Synder press incorperates dumbell bench presses with palms facing each other. You start with the dumbells touching each other on your chest (palms facing each other) and you then press the dumbells up untill the elbows are extended. Throughout the exercise the edges of the weight plates touch each other. Take a short pause at the top of the lift.

Never heard of the first one, but the second one has been around a good long time. I've always called them champagnes.
  3. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'2"  180 lbs.

Hmmm, that first one sounds lame, why not just add more weight?. I hate it when people take up the whole pulley cage! (though I never use it, hehe). I might have to give the second one a try though. Basically it sounds like a supinated close grip bench press.
    •   

4. New Member

First one sounds good. Added stress on the chest alone.
  5. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by hypo
    Hmmm, that first one sounds lame, why not just add more weight?. I hate it when people take up the whole pulley cage! (though I never use it, hehe). I might have to give the second one a try though. Basically it sounds like a supinated close grip bench press.
    Wouldnt adding the weight from the pulley stack be like adding chains and bands to barbells. SAme concept i would think. So why would that be lame?
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  222 lbs.

Sounds like a nice angle to hit the inner chest nicely. Gonna have to give this a go tomorrow at the gym.
  7. New Member

That would be from the same angle. The cuffs would be from a different angle than the DB's, so it is a little different, and not lame

Wouldnt adding the weight from the pulley stack be like adding chains and bands to barbells. SAme concept i would think. So why would that be lame?
  8. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'2"  180 lbs.

I guess the cable weight provides a constant force instead of most of the power being concentrated in the middle of the lift (sticking point). Maybe I overexagerated with "lame," I'm just a guy from the free-weights camp, that's all :b
  9. SJA
    dead sexy wino

Not exactly. The chains/bands will progressively add more weight to your lift as you progress through the rep. The cable force would be constant.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.

I think the cables are not there for the weight purpose. I think they are there to give you a resistance from a different angle. Basically The dunmbell would be working against gravity whilee the cables are trying to pull your arms outward so it would probably be good for the upper part of the dumbell movement to really get that flex in at the top.
  11. New Member

by the time you set that **** up....you could have done half the workout already
  12. SJA
    dead sexy wino

Quote Originally Posted by FunkMasterFlex
    by the time you set that **** up....you could have done half the workout already

13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  222 lbs.

I did the second exercise today in my routine, it was my final pressing movement. Worked really well, but I felt that since my dumbbells were totally round, that is was hard to keep them pushed together causing my shoulders to do alot of stabilizing. Definitley a new exercise in my routine though, gonna alternate it from flat to incline every week.
  14. SJA
    dead sexy wino

Quote Originally Posted by BOHICA
    I did the second exercise today in my routine, it was my final pressing movement. Worked really well, but I felt that since my dumbbells were totally round, that is was hard to keep them pushed together causing my shoulders to do alot of stabilizing. Definitley a new exercise in my routine though, gonna alternate it from flat to incline every week.

I saw an old timer doing these one time....one set at every notch in the incline bench. It was his whole workout routine. The guy was a Jackass though
  15. CDB

Quote Originally Posted by BOHICA
    Sounds like a nice angle to hit the inner chest nicely. Gonna have to give this a go tomorrow at the gym.
    You can do the same thing with a triceps development bar. Same grip, might not be quite as close but more stable.
  16. New Member

That 2nd one pumped my chest up big time after doing just 2 sets of em. Maybe I'm just not used to the movement, but I plan on keeping this in for awhile to see how if it's good for me.
  17. Senior Member

eh....
    Sage
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Chest exercises....
    By RickWolves in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-04-2009, 05:34 AM
  2. Lower chest exercise
    By vette00 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-10-2008, 10:51 PM
  3. Tall+Chest exercises = need help
    By Reverin in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 02-16-2008, 04:57 PM
  4. Chest exercises that don't work shoulders?
    By The Doberman in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-04-2005, 11:40 AM
  5. Dumbbell Pullovers - Back or Chest Exercise
    By Skark in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-02-2004, 09:17 PM