Leg presses

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I get light-headed whilst doing heavy leg presses. A short 30 second break usually gets my head back to normal but the light-headedness is a bit concerning.
Anyone get this?
Could anyone offer an tips or advice to alleviate this problem ?

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I get light-headed whilst doing heavy leg presses. A short 30 second break usually gets my head back to normal but the light-headedness is a bit concerning.
Anyone get this?
Could anyone offer an tips or advice to alleviate this problem ?
I get this with squats sometimes.. Im sure its the breathing technique? I have managed to get rid of it mostly by controlling breathing. Inhale exhale etc? Try watch a couple different tutorials on it and see how they teach you to breath? Seems to have remedied mine ?

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Im thinking the cause might be a spike in blood pressure from strain and breathing.

macedog24

macedog24

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I get this with squats sometimes.. Im sure its the breathing technique? I have managed to get rid of it mostly by controlling breathing. Inhale exhale etc? Try watch a couple different tutorials on it and see how they teach you to breath? Seems to have remedied mine
Are you holding your breath when pushing with your legs.

macedog24

macedog24

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Im thinking the cause might be a spike in blood pressure from strain and breathing.
Agreed sounds like a spike in pressure maybe holding his breath? Just guessing thou.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Are you holding your breath when pushing with your legs.
I usually start breathing in a second or two before I push so I'm exhaling on the descent.

How do you guys time your breathing?

pro45

Awards
I usually start breathing in a second or two before I push so I'm exhaling on the descent.

How do you guys time your breathing?
Inhale on the concentric, exhale on the eccentric.

Ase_james

Awards
I agree with the breathing. Try a controlled constant release of air while pushing. I catch myself waiting to breathe sometimes and ill get dizzy.

Its also better for your spine.
I close my lips and exhale slowly through them, kind of blows my mouth up, but it keeps the air flow constant.

Do you get ear or sinus pain? Some people struggle with a leg press if its laying down too. It can put pressure on your ears. Just a thought.

macedog24

macedog24

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I agree with the breathing. Try a controlled constant release of air while pushing. I catch myself waiting to breathe sometimes and ill get dizzy.

I close my lips and exhale slowly through them, kind of blows my mouth up, but it keeps the air flow constant.

Do you get ear or sinus pain? Some people struggle with a leg press if its laying down too. It can put pressure on your ears. Just a thought.
Its not a ton of weight but good on the fifth set. All about controlled breathing. Take a couple deep breaths in and out before first rep. Then breathe in deep on the way down(slowly) then explode on the way up breathing out with your lips together like your trying to whistle for the first time. Slow and Steady pressure breathing out.
Try and breathe out at the same pace your pressing at! The faster the rep the shorter amount of time breathing out. Like a burst of air.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

Its not a ton of weight but good on the fifth set. All about controlled breathing. Take a couple deep breaths in and out before first rep. Then breathe in deep on the way down(slowly) then explode on the way up breathing out with your lips together like your trying to whistle for the first time. Slow and Steady pressure breathing out.
Try and breathe out at the same pace your pressing at! The faster the rep the shorter amount of time breathing out. Like a burst of air.
Thanks I'll try that, been doing it the other way round
No ear or sinus pain atm thankfully. I'll keep that in mind tho
macedog24 Sheesh how much weight is that? Are you on AAS or prohormones ?

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
Doesn’t matter how good I breathe, heavy leg pressing always makes me feel super light headed and have spikes in blood pressure. I think it’s just the position itself, coupled with the fact blood has to go to the legs.

That’s why I much prefer doing sets of 12 instead of 6, otherwise the weight and focus would be too much for me to recover properly. That sucks cause I really feel leg presses

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Doesn’t matter how good I breathe, heavy leg pressing always makes me feel super light headed and have spikes in blood pressure. I think it’s just the position itself, coupled with the fact blood has to go to the legs.

That’s why I much prefer doing sets of 12 instead of 6, otherwise the weight and focus would be too much for me to recover properly. That sucks cause I really feel leg presses
You could try incorporating rest-pause training. It'd allow you a break mid-set between certain reps

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
You could try incorporating rest-pause training. It'd allow you a break mid-set between certain reps
Wouldn't work on my leg press cause it's meant to always provide tension to the muscle, when you're all the way up legs are not locked in or relaxed.

That kinda sucks cause leg press with feet close and lower on the pad targets my quads really well, but so do squats so I'm not bothered too much. Legs are also my strong point so whatever

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah leg presses causes this

Stop between reps and take a few deep breathes, then go on.

Someone mentioned rest paused sets, this is a good way as well to go close to failure or even failure, if desired, while catching your breathe

lomas510

Awards
I as well going to say, it’s your breathing, hence heavy weight we tend to hold our breath a little bit I’m sure if you paid attention to your breathing you find out and say he’s right