Fat percentage measurement

bda55

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I was wondering how reliable the results are when you measure your own fat%. I got one of those electronic calipers. Here's my measurements of yesterday:

Results:

Formulas I used:
density = 1,112 - (0,00043499*SUM) + (0,00000055*SUM^2) - (0,00028826*AGE)
fat% = (4,95/density) - 4,5

So this results in 6,63%. Judging from the mirror its impossible my fat% is that low, I think its rather at 10 or 11%, so I think something is wrong, but I'm pretty sure my measuring technique is OK.. How do you guys measure fat%? Are these realistic measurements?

Thx

Attachments

Last edited:
SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
I was wondering how reliable the results are when you measure your own fat%. I got one of those electronic calipers. Here's my measurements of yesterday:

(see attachment)

Results:

(see attachment)

Formulas I used:

So this results in 6,63%. Judging from the mirror its impossible my fat% is that low, I think its rather at 10 or 11%, so I think something is wrong, but I'm pretty sure my measuring technique is OK.. How do you guys measure fat%? Are these realistic measurements?

Thx

Where did you pinch and what were your measurements?

bert4332

Awards

(see attachment)

Results:

(see attachment)

Formulas I used:

Thx
Last week I had both a caliper test and hydrostatic (H20) tank test done. The caliper was test was .2 lower than the H20. I was extremely surprised how close the caliper came. If you test frequently, make sure the same person does it, and in the same place each and every time.

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
Last week I had both a caliper test and hydrostatic (H20) tank test done. The caliper was test was .2 lower than the H20. I was extremely surprised how close the caliper came. If you test frequently, make sure the same person does it, and in the same place each and every time.

Got pics?

kronikenergy

Awards
Here is a link that I found on using calipers to obtain body fat %. If you scroll down to the bottom there are actual programs that you can plug your results into and they will calculate the body fat %. They have a three site program and a seven site program where you can test either three or seven locations on your body and then plug them in to the program. I found this very easy and usefull. http://www.rustyiron.net/bodyfat.htm

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
The more sites u use, the more accurate it's suppose to be.

On another note...I've always had a hard time caliper checking myself. There's some site areas you just can't reach.

Nabeshin

Nabeshin

Awards
  • Established
The more sites u use, the more accurate it's suppose to be.
This is partly true because some people's body's tend to prefer storing fat in one location as opposed to another, so testing multiple, disparate sites helps accoutn for this irregularity.

This is partly false because the more locations you pinch, the more the inherent inaccuracies of pinching add up --- in other words, you have more opportunities to screw up.

The only laser accurate method of bodyfat testing that I'm aware of is an autopsy. Just make sure that you can get consistent results from whatever testing method you employ, and pay attention to the changes. Let the mirror tell you if you're where you want to be, and let the calipers help you determine if you're heading in the right direction.