Chest help

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So, after a period during which I focused my chest training around flys as I was making particularly good progress with them strength-wise, I now find that when I bench my arms tire from the pushing motion before any major chest tearing. As a result, bench pressing isn't really doing much for me atm.
How can I fix this?

I've started doing extra work on my front delts and doing more weighted dips but I'm not sure whether or not this is the answer.

Thanks in advance

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Perhaps dumbbell bench press can help isolate each pec more. Also better range of motion for you to really squeeze at the top . You may need to do some more time under tension with your presses ?

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
How wide is your grip?

Are you doing dips before bench press?

APC80

APC80

Awards
Maybe your front delts are over trained? Are you doing to much pushing exercises and not recovering properly? You could pre exhaust your pecs with flyes before you bench.

pcmolter

pcmolter

Awards
Try the standing bottoms up press with kettlebells

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
I know this may sound blasphemous to some, but I completely ditched barbell benching because I was feeling my front delt working more than the pecs, which weren't stretched enough. Dumbbell press is the answer! Especially if you rotate the wrists inward a little to isolate pecs even more. Better stretch, better isolation, better pump, more chest growth.

Also, try different fly angles and use cables, not dumbbells for flys. Pullover and landmine press are also amazing for the upper chest

APC80

APC80

Awards
I agree. Dumbbells are far better for chest growth than barbells. You can really activate your pecs with dbs which is very hard to do with heavy weight on the barbell. As you go up rotate the wrists so they're facing each other at the top so the dbs are side to side touching each other to get a good squeeze of the pecs at the top.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Maybe your front delts are over trained? Are you doing to much pushing exercises and not recovering properly? You could pre exhaust your pecs with flyes before you bench.
This happens even if my delts are fresh after having taken a two day break and I start with bench

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dumbells for chest growth. Also try reverse grip barbell. Nails upper chest pretty good.

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
If your arms are getting tired then you should take a week off. See if you're over trained. If you are still struggling then you should focus on your triceps. Build them up and make them stronger.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Also try hitting chest twice a week. That always helps. Less volume but go all out.

DonutGains89

DonutGains89

Awards
Dumbbells for chest growth, include cables. Ditch flat barbell bench. Try a different route of things. personally I always warm up with cables and a machine press this way I move into my chest training and I'm warmed up. For example try out cable crossovers 2 sets of 20 and machine chest press 2x20, really focus on the chest moving the weight not the front delts, use light to moderate weight. After this then move into flat dumbbell press and other dumbbell movements. Also for delts I would recommend not doing so much front delt work. Instead just do 2 sets of 10-20 reps lightweight controlled to warm up the delts then move on through your shoulder routine. I would do at least 3 days rest from chest rest 3 days then shoulder. This should help with recovery and let your chest get a better feel and better pump=more muscle growth. Give this a shot.