sholder pain durring bench

  1. mike1212ms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Question sholder pain durring bench


    I am new to these boards. I hope I can find some good information here.


    Anyway, my front delt KILLS every time I try to flat barbell bench latley.
    Is there anything I can do to take the stress off of it? Thanks

  2. Gold Member
    Beowulf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,430
    Rep Power
    2149

    I've been doing this and it seems to be helping:
    http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=6997

    You can also do internal and external rotation with dumbells or cables. My shoulder pain is on top, not the front so much, so it is hard to say if these will work for you. One way to find out.
  3. Registered User
    sage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    seattle/new york
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,617
    Rep Power
    959

    i have this problem when i hit chest on an incline. not always but usually. i rarely strengthened my rotators and would think you might to give that a shot. As mentioned, internal and external rotational movement, including such movements like the open can should help.
    Sage
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    kwyckemynd00's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Marklar
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,324
    Rep Power
    2845

    Quote Originally Posted by mike1212ms
    I am new to these boards. I hope I can find some good information here.


    Anyway, my front delt KILLS every time I try to flat barbell bench latley.
    Is there anything I can do to take the stress off of it? Thanks
    If it's in the muscle, take a week off. Often people are "delt benchers" and are overtraining their delts with their average joe schmoe workout. So, that could be the case with you. In fact, I think I'm done with flat bench for a while. 1) Too much ego involved 2) Tend to overtrain delts <-- Bad combo..

    If its not in the muscle, do those stretches in the post above...hell, do 'em anyway They work!
  5. Registered User
    davisville64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    26
    Posts
    187
    Rep Power
    205

    Quote Originally Posted by kwyckemynd00
    If it's in the muscle, take a week off. Often people are "delt benchers" and are overtraining their delts with their average joe schmoe workout. So, that could be the case with you. In fact, I think I'm done with flat bench for a while. 1) Too much ego involved 2) Tend to overtrain delts <-- Bad combo..

    If its not in the muscle, do those stretches in the post above...hell, do 'em anyway They work!
    I have this same problem. I hadn't flat bb benched in a month or 2 before 2 weeks ago. I Like dumbells alot, but Dex said in this months MD that Barbell bench was better for gaining mass than DB.
  6. Registered User
    kwyckemynd00's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Marklar
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,324
    Rep Power
    2845

    Well, some lifts are better for some ppl Some ppl can't grow off of flat bb press much at all.
  7. Registered User
    YYZgeddylee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    on the land, near canada
    Age
    45
    Posts
    38
    Rep Power
    142

    strengthen your rotators and i bet
    your max bench will go up
  8. Registered User
    Malek256's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    http://www.bodysculpters.com
    Posts
    204
    Rep Power
    231

    Quote Originally Posted by davisville64
    I have this same problem. I hadn't flat bb benched in a month or 2 before 2 weeks ago. I Like dumbells alot, but Dex said in this months MD that Barbell bench was better for gaining mass than DB.
    I talked with Scott Milne not long ago -- his comment was "Do you know what the most useless exercise is? Flat bench. Dumbbell presses are fantastic and should be used instead." (hopefully I've remember correctly, if not: sorry Scott).

    His point was around delt activation and how DB's allow you to control the path and rotation precisely.
  9. Registered User
    Cuffs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Living in Sin!
    Posts
    2,193
    Rep Power
    1229

    Mine rotator cuff did this as well. I dumped flat bench and exchanged it for incline bench. I only did dumbells for flat bench, and made sure to do them slow and controlled with a deep stretch at the bottom. My chest day looked something like this:

    Week 1: Incline BB, Flat DB, Bar Dips, Incline Flyes.
    Week 2: Incline DB, Bar Dips, Flat Flyes.

    I also did rotator cuff exercises before beginning the weights.

    I did this for a few months and was able to go back to regular flat bench without any problems.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Deltoid pain while benching
    By Wudog in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-31-2013, 09:33 AM
  2. Chest Pain when benching
    By Peckboy69 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-04-2011, 04:02 PM
  3. shoulder pain when benching
    By 84bandit in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-10-2008, 10:11 PM
  4. Pain during Close Grip Benches
    By JasonLift in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-10-2008, 05:12 AM
  5. Forearm pain when benching or military presses.
    By flytrapcan in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2006, 01:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in