sholder pain durring bench

M

mike1212ms

Banned
Awards
I am new to these boards. I hope I can find some good information here.

Anyway, my front delt KILLS every time I try to flat barbell bench latley. :(
Is there anything I can do to take the stress off of it? Thanks

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I've been doing this and it seems to be helping:
http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=6997

You can also do internal and external rotation with dumbells or cables. My shoulder pain is on top, not the front so much, so it is hard to say if these will work for you. One way to find out.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
i have this problem when i hit chest on an incline. not always but usually. i rarely strengthened my rotators and would think you might to give that a shot. As mentioned, internal and external rotational movement, including such movements like the open can should help.
Sage

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I am new to these boards. I hope I can find some good information here.

Anyway, my front delt KILLS every time I try to flat barbell bench latley. :(
Is there anything I can do to take the stress off of it? Thanks
If it's in the muscle, take a week off. Often people are "delt benchers" and are overtraining their delts with their average joe schmoe workout. So, that could be the case with you. In fact, I think I'm done with flat bench for a while. 1) Too much ego involved 2) Tend to overtrain delts <-- Bad combo..

If its not in the muscle, do those stretches in the post above...hell, do 'em anyway :) They work!

D

davisville64

Awards
If it's in the muscle, take a week off. Often people are "delt benchers" and are overtraining their delts with their average joe schmoe workout. So, that could be the case with you. In fact, I think I'm done with flat bench for a while. 1) Too much ego involved 2) Tend to overtrain delts <-- Bad combo..

If its not in the muscle, do those stretches in the post above...hell, do 'em anyway :) They work!
I have this same problem. I hadn't flat bb benched in a month or 2 before 2 weeks ago. I Like dumbells alot, but Dex said in this months MD that Barbell bench was better for gaining mass than DB.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Well, some lifts are better for some ppl :) Some ppl can't grow off of flat bb press much at all.

YYZgeddylee

YYZgeddylee

Awards
strengthen your rotators and i bet
your max bench will go up

M

Malek256

Awards
I have this same problem. I hadn't flat bb benched in a month or 2 before 2 weeks ago. I Like dumbells alot, but Dex said in this months MD that Barbell bench was better for gaining mass than DB.
I talked with Scott Milne not long ago -- his comment was "Do you know what the most useless exercise is? Flat bench. Dumbbell presses are fantastic and should be used instead." (hopefully I've remember correctly, if not: sorry Scott).

His point was around delt activation and how DB's allow you to control the path and rotation precisely.

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Mine rotator cuff did this as well. I dumped flat bench and exchanged it for incline bench. I only did dumbells for flat bench, and made sure to do them slow and controlled with a deep stretch at the bottom. My chest day looked something like this:

Week 1: Incline BB, Flat DB, Bar Dips, Incline Flyes.
Week 2: Incline DB, Bar Dips, Flat Flyes.

I also did rotator cuff exercises before beginning the weights.

I did this for a few months and was able to go back to regular flat bench without any problems.