Thoughts on this lifting routine?

Rockzilla

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So I don't workout like a powerlifter, I only deadlift for hams, would prefer to do leg press over squat and I seriously hate working out my chest, or at least despise flat benching.

But I did a small powerlifting comp on the beach last Saturday, I set PRs and realized I'm in the 1K+ club and I liked it. Lifting heavy was awesome.

Could I get optimal recovery between hitting PPL on other days of the week (probably being Mon, Wed, Fri) and hitting my big 5(if not 3, I'm including pull ups and barbell row) on Saturday mornings? I would treat every other Saturday as a deload and maybe try for new PRs once a month.

If the big 5 I would do 3x3, If the big 3, I would do 5x3.

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
Looks good, I used to train sort of like this before I transitioned into BB. I'd keep the PPL all together or 2on1off and make sure you have a rest day before the big 3 so you can go for it without aching ect. Like legs, push, rest, pull, rest, big 3.

VO2Maxima

VO2Maxima

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wait, so you're doing the big 3 all in one day, and then doing 3 other days with just accessories? Or do the main lifts get hit on those days too?

While it's not my preference, I've seen some people doing a mock meet day where they work up to a daily max (or max double, max triple, whatever is scheduled that day) for all three lifts on one day. However, I would probably not make that the only day you hit your main lifts. Maybe hit bench and squat on other days of the week (even if it's a dynamic effort session). Deadlift is harder to hit twice per week IMO, though if you make that also a dynamic effort day, you could probably pull that off.

If you choose to go ahead with your plan, I'd probably do something like this:
Monday: Dynamic effort bench, push accessory
Tuesday: rest
Wednesday: Dynamic effort squat and dead, legs accessory
Thursday: Pull accessory
Friday: rest
Saturday: Mock meet day
Sunday: rest

Dynamic bench is a little far from the mock meet day, but I wasn't sure how else to possibly structure it. It also places a pull day after legs, but as long as you don't hammer your back on leg day, it should be okay. This isn't my preference on how to train, just because the mock meet day is a really tough day (and the guys I know who run programs like this end up at the gym for like 5 hours that day) and I like the separate out my days more (I do separate max effort days for the different lifts), but it's not like it doesn't work.

Rockzilla

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wait, so you're doing the big 3 all in one day, and then doing 3 other days with just accessories? Or do the main lifts get hit on those days too?

While it's not my preference, I've seen some people doing a mock meet day where they work up to a daily max (or max double, max triple, whatever is scheduled that day) for all three lifts on one day. However, I would probably not make that the only day you hit your main lifts. Maybe hit bench and squat on other days of the week (even if it's a dynamic effort session). Deadlift is harder to hit twice per week IMO, though if you make that also a dynamic effort day, you could probably pull that off.

If you choose to go ahead with your plan, I'd probably do something like this:
Monday: Dynamic effort bench, push accessory
Tuesday: rest
Wednesday: Dynamic effort squat and dead, legs accessory
Thursday: Pull accessory
Friday: rest
Saturday: Mock meet day
Sunday: rest

Dynamic bench is a little far from the mock meet day, but I wasn't sure how else to possibly structure it. It also places a pull day after legs, but as long as you don't hammer your back on leg day, it should be okay. This isn't my preference on how to train, just because the mock meet day is a really tough day (and the guys I know who run programs like this end up at the gym for like 5 hours that day) and I like the separate out my days more (I do separate max effort days for the different lifts), but it's not like it doesn't work.
Yes, I had planned on hitting the 3 on those PPL days, or at least squat, not dead, but that looks like a better idea.

Thing about it is, I was gonna do legs on Friday
before Saturday. I had set those PRs on a day after leg day. My legs didn't feel week, if anything they felt primed to lift more.

You are right on the bench part, bench in the competition was really hard, even though is did it Wednesday. Like I have a short upper arm but long forearm. Touching my chest, then pushing from that point was extremely hard since I usually stop no shorter than 90 degrees. Pressing while my elbows are in an acute angle was extremely difficult.

VO2Maxima

VO2Maxima

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Don't do legs the day before the mock meet. As you get stronger, you'll have more and more trouble putting a good effort into the mock meet if you train legs the day before. Plus you'll be trying to do a mock meet on tired legs and tired back, which will increase risk of injury. Furthermore, may as well space it out to stimulate lower body twice during the week a few days apart (reap advantages of elevated MPS at two points during the week rather than hitting legs again 24 hours later while MPS is still elevated from the first bout).

Finally, and this is a "do this because someone smarter than I am said so," not because I have any literature or anything to prove it, but Louis Simmons pushes 72 hours between max and dynamic effort work (so my example isn't perfect, but unless you do their 4 days per week split with ME upper, ME lower, DE upper, DE lower, it's hard to get it to fit perfectly).

Rockzilla

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Don't do legs the day before the mock meet. As you get stronger, you'll have more and more trouble putting a good effort into the mock meet if you train legs the day before. Plus you'll be trying to do a mock meet on tired legs and tired back, which will increase risk of injury. Furthermore, may as well space it out to stimulate lower body twice during the week a few days apart (reap advantages of elevated MPS at two points during the week rather than hitting legs again 24 hours later while MPS is still elevated from the first bout).

Finally, and this is a "do this because someone smarter than I am said so," not because I have any literature or anything to prove it, but Louis Simmons pushes 72 hours between max and dynamic effort work (so my example isn't perfect, but unless you do their 4 days per week split with ME upper, ME lower, DE upper, DE lower, it's hard to get it to fit perfectly).
So I really do like what u layed out, I'll try it. I'm sure I can still build muscle everywhere and strength while on a program like this.