diagnosis for these symtoms..

TheThreeAminos

Awards
ok i'm about ready to explode in anger because of these symptoms, and i haven't been able to figure them out...doctors keep rejecting me telling me its all in my head and it makes me even more mad... so check this out -

everytime i do cardio consistently to lose bodyfat i hit a wall of chronic fatigue after the third or fourth day of training. I can lift weights twice a day without becoming tired if i want to - but i cannot seem to stay alive for more than 4 days of doing consistent daily cardio. at about the third or fourth day, i become very lethargic, can't get up in the morning, my appetite either goes through the roof, and i binge, or my appetite goes away completely and i can't touch a bite of food. Also, after 4 days of cardio, i have to stop all training from lack of energy, and i am forced to nap 1-2 times during the day just to go about my day. and this fatigue aint no "i'm tired from running"....this is "i can barely lift my legs out of bed to get up to go to work."

I'm a young guy, maintain a 12% bodyfat year round. i dont know why these things are happening to me, but it reallly frustrates me as i feel like i'm doomed to strictly weight training, and never being able to do enough cardio to lose the body fat i want. What do you guys think?

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Hypercalcemia - An increase in plasma calcium has widespread effects on the body, including muscles weakness and atrophy, lethargy, behavioral changes, hypertension, constipation, and nausea

Hypokalemia - effects muscle strength/coordination, nerve impulses and cardiac rhythm could be caused by alkalosis (too much H+ ions outside cell and not enough K+ inside the cell), decrease in potassium intake through diet, diuretics, too much aldosterone, diarrhea or vomiting. Symptoms like i said are decrease in neuromuscular coordination, muscle weakness, cardiac dysrhythmias.

hypernatremia (too much sodium relative to water - dehydration) - When Sodium levels are high, Na starts to accumulate in the blood, therefore increasing blood volume and increasing blood pressure. It makes your heart work harder, increases pressure in the arteries, and can ultimately lead to heart failure.

just a couple options

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
id probably just eat more carbs and get a better night sleeep

TheThreeAminos

Awards
let me also mention i have had a blood test and my DHEA levels were that of 60 yr old. my doc said theres nothing to worry about though because it was within the "normal" range. i wonder if my adrenals are not working properly.

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
how has your NIGHT sleeping been.. not naps.. but you often to you get a good night's sleep... also.. what is your daily carb intake... how is your sex drive as well ( no i am not hitting on you)

Malek256

Awards
Sounds like classic overtraining symptoms to me! Maybe your work capacity is up with lifting (i.e. you have become efficient with weights) so you don't O/T as easily there relative to cardio?

What are you doing in terms of cardio? Long endurance, empty stomach or HIIT with pre- and post- food?

Do you ever feel tired after carb intake when not doing cardio extremes?

Are you taking thermos?

TheThreeAminos

Awards
ok...well my night sleeping is usually a good eight hours each night. If i go to bed at 11pm i can usually wake up at 8 or 9 without difficulty. But when i'm doing the consistent cardio, i am forced to shut down for an hour or two each day for a nap, and that leaves me awake until almost 1am in the morning. its weird, if i stay up past midnight, all my energy comes back and i feel like i am at my peak at around midnight, and don't fall asleep until 1am. BTW these night sleeps (when fatigued) are NOT refreshing at all.

my cardio consists of usually morning fasted cardio, elliptical training for approx 20-30 mins each sessions. I have also tried carbing up before i did my cardio, so as to have plenty of energy and not get this nagging onset fatigue.....doesn't help one bit.

Normal carb intake is 40 percent of about a 2200 cal diet. I keep that pretty consistent.

Sex drive takes a sh** when i do "too much" cardio. I don't drink, I don't smoke, no drugs...boggles my mind dudes.

oh yea, i have taken ephedra in the past, and i can only say that made my symptoms worse once i ended the cycle. I sometimes dabble with caffeine stacks, but they seems to mess with my system and i get headaches withdrawal effects after only a couple days of use. so no, i am not taking and thermos right now.

its weird, i know guys who smoke, drink, AND do drugs that seem healthier than I, and can do cardio non-stop if they want to....makes me jealous.

</js>

Awards
As a competitive soccer coach my only opinion would be to look into the fact that you may be dehydrated.
I see chronic fatigue our of some of my players after a weekend tournament. That could explain appetite swings, headaches,
actual muscle lethargy. What does your urine look like?

rhinochaser48

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm not qualified to answer this, but I'm throwing it out as a galatic-reach-type of obscure explanation.

Many people feel like total **** when they begin dieting because fat cells are like the body's land fill. All the toxins slowly filtered through the body are mostly stored in fat. When you do anything that releases fatty acids into the blood stream you'll also have to deal with those toxins again.

This is just a crackpot theory, but you may have been exposed to something somewhat-nasty during a period when you were gaing fat rapidly.

Cosmo

Awards
To me it sounds like you might be having some type of insulin/insulin resistance problem. I say this because of your shift in appetite and in energy. Cardio as we know switches the body to metabolize fat and makes the cells less resistant to insulin, this may be happening to you at a very quick pace. What this would mean is that the carbs you are consuming are getting in the cells easier than before leaving less to circulate to your brain which is hypoglycemia. If this would be the case then i would suggest upping your carbs until you start feeling better then slowly decreasing them back down till your body adapts. Its really hard to diagnose someone over the internet cause theres just so many questions that need to be asked. The reason i go straight for the insulin/blood sugar problem though is because its the most overlooked problem by docs and also the most common problem of today's society.