Changed my eating habits a little.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Well I want to continue to put on weight even through these speed/agility/lifting sessions we have 4 days a week so I have been eating more red meet and more foods with saturated fat in them. Although it seems bad it also seems to be helping me put the weight on. I noticed that when I ate too cleanly and only got unsaturated fats in my diet that I was practically burning off the food I ate. Stomach emptying was a big problem and none of the food seemed to stay in me for that long (I have a pretty fast metabolism). So once a day now I eat a more unhealthy meal and well so far so good. Any science behind this Bobo? :think:

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
red meat contains a good amount of creatine .. never hurts to help put weight on

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Lake - I've long noticed the same thing. Until the last 6 mos-year, I really couldn't eat clean w/o starving myself. It really didn't work when I was playing rec basketball and football. I'd end up starving and pigging out afterwards.

I think age has caused a slowdown of appetite for myself. Also, all this damn fiber Bobo has me on seems to have helped as well. Might try more veggies.

But I really wouldn't worry about (not sure if you are or not) becuase at your age and activity level, you'll burn off red meat and whatever else crap they serve at the athletic dorm.

(I remember that business at UT. I once saw an OL get a plate of chicken fingers that had at least 35-40 on it. Probably 6-7 inches high off the plate! Man, those OL and DL could freaking eat!)

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Red meat unhealthy? BAH!!!

Its not bad at all Lake, go for it. The body needs SOME saturated fat. You just have to stay away from the real fatty types of cuts. I love a good filet mignon or NY Strip.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Red meat unhealthy? BAH!!!

Its not bad at all Lake, go for it. The body needs SOME saturated fat. You just have to stay away from the real fatty types of cuts. I love a good filet mignon or NY Strip.

What about lean ground beef? Because hell when I looked at it, it seemed as though it would be EXTREMELY fatty. It said like 18 grams of fat per serving and like 10 of that was saturated. I guess that isn't as bad as I thought though. Guess I am getting ground beef next time. Or is there a better option? I can't go too pricey.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ground beef is very processed and its nutrient value is low. I'm not a fan of it myself unless its REAL ground beef and it has a bunch of cheese and bacon on it. :D

But with your activity level you certainly could get away with it as long as its VERY lean.

And for those clients that see this, no you cna't have it unless you make the FSU football team.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
OU would be acceptable as well....

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Bobo - BAH!!!

How about issuing that to make a real football team? Like the State Champs? :whip:

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
How about issuing that to make a real football team? Like the State Champs? :whip:
You need to make the team before you make the comment.

:nono:

:p

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Hahaha.
We are the State Champs for the last 4 years. (forgot we beat UF in '01 Sugar Bowl)

I could make the team - as a towel fetcher or water boy.

sourwood

Awards
Try grass fed

Grass fed ground beef is lower in calories and fat. Much healthier.

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeah I get my ground beef from the farm... We have like 75 head of cattle...

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
What is the difference in nutritional value of the two?

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Here's the nutritional value for store-bought ground beef: http://www.answers.com/topic/ground-beef

Cattle that are raised by the farmer, taken to slaughter, and stored and eaten by the farmer rather than becoming commercialized has fewer calories per serving, less fat, more protein, and is just overall MUCH healthier than storebought beef...

sourwood

Awards
There are other benefits to grass fed beef like increased amounts of CLA and Omega 3. Do a search within the forum. I think BoBo has written extensively on the subject. Mixing the two kinds for added cals/fat sounds like a good idea.

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeah you can't even compare the 2 really... When my wife and I moved into our apartment, we got some storebought beef, it almost made me sick, the amount of fat that comes out of the beef when it's cooked, so much grease in the pan... I went home the next week and got a freezer full of beef from my mom lol... sirloins, ribeyes, ground beef, the works... I'll never go back to storebought ground beef...