Hiit while bulking??

RatnikK

RatnikK

Awards
Ok I plan on adding the spartacus workout to my bulk routine on days I don't lift weights Tuesday and Fridays as my cardio workout. My weightlifting routine is 5x5 fierce novice that I got from BB.com it's 3 times a week, and I need your opinion on if this is a good way to shed fat while maintaining muscle possibly even build some as long as I increase my weight on weight lifting days.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Doesn't the spartacus workout involve weights? Do you have access to cardio equipment? Personally, I'd do something with that for HIIT.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
If you're eating in a calorie surplus, then you won't be able to 'shed' body fat at the same time. I would certainly include some type of cardio into your training routine to help minimize fat gain while bulking, but it will be difficult to lose body fat while eating enough food to build muscle. If you're very new to training this can be accomplished, but after 10-12 months of consistent training it is very difficult to do both at the same time.

I would focus on one goal (muscle gain or fat loss) and be sure you are eating properly to support your goals. I always incorporate HIIT during my bulks to minimize fat gain, but other than that cardio is kept to a minimum on a bulk. I typically do HIIT 2-3 times per week while bulking, and I've noticed that it can be very beneficial for staying leaner while gaining weight.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ok I plan on adding the spartacus workout to my bulk routine on days I don't lift weights Tuesday and Fridays as my cardio workout. My weightlifting routine is 5x5 fierce novice that I got from BB.com it's 3 times a week, and I need your opinion on if this is a good way to shed fat while maintaining muscle possibly even build some as long as I increase my weight on weight lifting days.
As long as you're in a caloric deficit, you will lose fat. However, it is almost impossible to gain lean mass since you need a surplus to do this. The goal is to retain as much lean tissue as you can. Make sure you keep protein high.

Something that might be difficult is recover. Being in a deficit, 5x5 and HIIT cardio may make recovery a little difficult. For that, I would suggest PowerMax XT. Not only will PowerMax XT help with recovery with the full dose of COP and TMG, but it will also help improve strength and endurance with a full five grams of creatine. The full 2.5 grams of L-Alanyl L-Glutamine will aid in recovery.

One other great thing about TMG is that it aids with body composition, which is what you are aiming for. Give the following articles a read.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3844502/
http://www.ergo-log.com/the-anabolic-effect-of-betaine.html
http://www.ergo-log.com/betaine-gives-bodybuilders-more-muscle-and-less-fat.html

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If you're eating in a calorie surplus, then you won't be able to 'shed' body fat at the same time. I would certainly include some type of cardio into your training routine to help minimize fat gain while bulking, but it will be difficult to lose body fat while eating enough food to build muscle. If you're very new to training this can be accomplished, but after 10-12 months of consistent training it is very difficult to do both at the same time.

I would focus on one goal (muscle gain or fat loss) and be sure you are eating properly to support your goals. I always incorporate HIIT during my bulks to minimize fat gain, but other than that cardio is kept to a minimum on a bulk. I typically do HIIT 2-3 times per week while bulking, and I've noticed that it can be very beneficial for staying leaner while gaining weight.
This. If i'm bulking I really don't do any cardio. Maybe a little to warm up. But HIIT would be good to incorporate for fat burning.

RatnikK

RatnikK

Awards
But would incorporating the spartacus workout while bulking help me burn some fat while still building and toning muscle even though iam eating to bulk??

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
But would incorporating the spartacus workout while bulking help me burn some fat while still building and toning muscle even though iam eating to bulk??
First of all, you need to decide if you are dirty bulking or lean bulking. I don't do cardio while I bulk but this is because I stay lean as it is and I can cut quickly.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Or should I stick with just heavy weights 5x5
In my experiences when bulking, it's not so much what routine you are on. It's all about diet. I can gain mass on pretty much any routine I choose as long as my diet is in order with my bulking goals.