Beyond Brawn training book

Status
Not open for further replies.

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Has anyone read this book, applied its programs and have gotten good results from it. I have just finished the book and it confuses the hell out of me, working out 2 times a week doesnt seem like it would produce results.

Storm

Awards
I just mentioned this book in one of my recent posts. Take a look at the pencilneck who wrote it ....that should be enough to convince you to look elsewhere! Why take advice from a 150lb wimp on how to get big and strong? Are his training techniques and diets working for him? NO! That's like taking advice from a 240lb lardass Dr. Phil on how to get in shape and be skinny! :) ...oh I almost forgot..he's making millions with that...he must know what he's talking about! hahaha.

oh I jest Dr. Phil and the little hardgainer who wrote Brawn!..:)

Regards,
Storm

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I think Exnihilo mentioned he followed the Beyond Brawn plan, and he's a big motherfucker. Strong as hell too, so I wouldn't write the book off just based on his experience. Bottom line, you don't have to follow a set of principles to know them and for them to be workable. Lysle Mcdonald is a skinny guy but he's got a good wealth of knowledge on weight training and proper diet for gaining muscle mass.

ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday

I agree with CDB...you don't ask the biggest guy in your gym how to get big either....he is most likely genetically blessed and/or on the juice...you ask the hardgainer who just added half and inch to his chest what he did, not the gorrilla that just added and inch to his arms!

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm not defending the book one way or another, but I certainly wouldn't ever judge a book by the appearance of the author. :blink: I do feel that it is better when a trainer practices what he preaches, but otoh its only a piece of the puzzle.

If Tipton were to discover a new amino acid, do you think it'd be smart to say "screw that, hes skinny?"

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Enjoyed the book and produced some good results for a hardgainer (myself).

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am dont use steroids, and once a year for a boost to my workout I use PH/PS. I am an ectomorph, but I managed to put 225lbs with 10%bf on my 6'3" frame, so I don't know if I am considered a hardgainer like he describes in his book. I just feel I am at a platue and thought that maybe I am overtraining by working out 5 days a week, maybe I should take more rest. Or could I just be at my natural limit? This book claims that even drug using bodybuilders and the genetically gifted can benifit from this 2 and 3 day a week basic workout program. I am still very confused, can anyone stand by this trainging program and say its the mother of all trainging programs?

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I am dont use steroids, and once a year for a boost to my workout I use PH/PS. I am an ectomorph, but I managed to put 225lbs with 10%bf on my 6'3" frame, so I don't know if I am considered a hardgainer like he describes in his book. I just feel I am at a platue and thought that maybe I am overtraining by working out 5 days a week, maybe I should take more rest. Or could I just be at my natural limit? This book claims that even drug using bodybuilders and the genetically gifted can benifit from this 2 and 3 day a week basic workout program. I am still very confused, can anyone stand by this trainging program and say its the mother of all trainging programs?
There is no mother of all training programs. There are certain constants behind successful training programs, but they allow for a lot of flexibility in actual training design.

ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday

Hey if you have it in eBOOK form why don't you post it up!

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I dont have it on ebook, so I cant help there. I have been emailing the writer or company for some kind of explanation, they say I can benefit from the program, but it is not a quick fix they say to think long term with the training.

Storm

Awards
C'mon guys...you must be kidding? It's one thing to be a hardgainer but why would anyone buy a book from a hardgainer with no results? Sure the routines in the book will work for a while...just like most training programs work for a while...so what? It's no different than the onslought of bs articles and books written by guys on juice...the routines will work for a while but you'll get burned out real quick because a natural bodybuilder will overtrain quickly compared to someone on steroids. I gained 30lb muscle on creatine...2 days a week will get you huge and lean you out..all crap information! The best information comes from natural bodybuilders whether hardgainers or not who've achieved great results from there diets and routines. I recently spoke with a 73 year old man who had 3x frame and muscles of this guy from Brawn and I listened hard. Sure he probably had great genetics like myself but he also busted his ass! Life is about results and not about reiterating a wealth of knowledge unless you want to be a scientist. If you plan to live to be healthy strong 100 years old then would you listen to someone close to death at age 50 or someone who looks twice his age although he claims to have a wealth of knowledge on how to live a long life or how to look young and be healthy? What utter crap! Bruce Lee was one of the finest martial artists in the world because he kicked the **** out of anyone who messed with him in real life. He applied his techniques and didn't run off at the mouth about how much he knew and quoted a zillion studies. He was living proof of his own knowledge and he applied it. Bodybuilding has always been about getting big and strong with low bodyfat and not just about how much you know..aka Mr. Bookworm fitness guru who looks like the wind will blow him over with one gust and can quote you a study just like a bible thumper who quotes the scripture then humps your choir boy behind closed doors. You don't have to be a juiced up meathead to be a big strong muscular guy with low bodyfat...I'm living proof and I know plenty of big guys with very low bodyfat who are all natural and bust there butt daily. It's a lot of hard ass work and a lifestyle and unless you're juicing you need outstanding genetics to get really big. I'm not impressed with big fat guys just like little bookworms don't impress me. I want to learn from the best and those who apply those techniques and have results to show it. Otherwise please shut the f**k up and go read or write another book or go find some more studies on the internet to prove your theories.

If you don't believe what I'm saying then go take a look at a recent poll here why most guys here bodybuild. #1 answers are ...to get girls, to impress people, to initimate, etc. ...back to big, strong and lean.

Regards,
Storm

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am trying to get some input on those who have tried it, I was recomended this book from a question I asked a month ago. A couple of popular guys on this sight gave it a thumbs up (Lean One, Natedogg, and Bohica) I can send them a private message for some reason, maybe they will stumble on this article. Lean One says he is an ectomorph and is and great shape, I am just wondering if he applied the principles of this book.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Ahh Storm, another one for "Team Meathead".

Sorry bro, but some of us here enjoy science and enjoy learning why things happen, not just how to look good. I especially take offense to your post because I am a Exercise Science student and would one day like to conduct research in a lab. So I guess I should just "shut the f*** up and read another book" as you say. People like you are the reason why the field of exercise and nutrition are looked down upon. :nono:

User CP>Miscellaneous>Buddy/Ignore list> Ignore Storm

Storm

Awards
b_delgros....I've read the "Beyond Brawn" book and it's a great recovery protocol at 2x/week or for someone older and like I said all routines work for sometime but just like CDB said..quote "there is no mother of all training programs"..."flexibility". I would add adaptability..the body constantly adapts and that's why it's smart to change routines and cycle routines as well as cycle your diets...calories, etc.

I'm impressed with your progress because an ectomorph at 225 and 6'3 is not very common. Most ectomorphs have an incredible hard time gaining weight. 10% bodyfat is not bad but if you can drop that to 6% and keep your weight you'd be outstanding...especially if you're proportions are good and your not all legs! :)

Regards,
Storm

Storm

Awards
DieTrying...nothing wrong with being a wizard of knowledge...I'm only saying apply it and put your money where your mouth is...

tell me ...would Arnold have been the "King" if he sputtered off knowledge all day but looked like Lyle?

By the way..I've got much more college education and nutrition background than you my friend as well as many years of serious practical experience in bodybuilding and martial arts. There's a very famous saying..I quote "those who can't do ..teach!" end quote. I listen to those who can do both ..those are the true masters!

I'm not here to brag only to inform and help if I can.

Regards,
Storm

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
b_delgros....I've read the "Beyond Brawn" book and it's a great recovery protocol at 2x/week or for someone older and like I said all routines work for sometime but just like CDB said..quote "there is no mother of all training programs"..."flexibility". I would add adaptability..the body constantly adapts and that's why it's smart to change routines and cycle routines as well as cycle your diets...calories, etc.

I'm impressed with your progress because an ectomorph at 225 and 6'3 is not very common. Most ectomorphs have an incredible hard time gaining weight. 10% bodyfat is not bad but if you can drop that to 6% and keep your weight you'd be outstanding...especially if you're proportions are good and your not all legs! :)

Regards,
Storm
I agree with you that the body adapts, I would train 5 to 6 days week and never felt overtrained even as an ectomorph, I dont feel I am genetically gifted because I have 6 brothers and they are all tall and lean, I am the only one to break 200lbs.

I think it was better off that I didnt read the book, because it bashes all basic workout routines that have been around from before I started lifting, the book also stresses to not go below 10%BF because it is bad for your health, also"less is best" in response to training. I was looking for a book for natural body body building and setting up solid workout routine. In the past I really didnt have a great workout routine, I think it was just desire and intensity that got me this far. But the last 4 months I have not had a spotter to lift with like I have had in my prior 4 years. Oh well, thanks for the input guys.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I want to learn from the best and those who apply those techniques and have results to show it. Otherwise please shut the f**k up and go read or write another book or go find some more studies on the internet to prove your theories.

Then you might want to get your head out of your ass because the best take their advice from the enormous amount of research that originates from collegiate programs.

I think most of us would agree that YOU should STFU because you have established yourself as the biggest blowhard on this board. You are the epitome of a meathead who is so intimiated by scientific studies and theories that you have to bash anyone who isn't 260+ with 5% bf. Your logic makes zero sense, you don't have a clue what you are talking about and can't stand the fact that someone that is 150lbs could walk circles around when it comes to Exercise and Physiology.

I don't need a poll to tell me why the majority of men bodybuild. Its because they are insecure and have low self esteem. You show that quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.