Average workout length

Erikeckert

Erikeckert

Awards
Is a 2 hour workout too much? If focus is placed on 2 major groups for the 2 hours is that overkill? I understand that some spend 2 hours or more bc of chit chat and selfies, but how long is a solid workout and before it starts becoming detrimental to your muscles?

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Your body will usually let you know if you're doing too much. I don't understand how people can get out in under an hour honestly, but as long as you're eating plenty and resting you should be fine. My workouts have been lasting 90-120 minutes and I've been cutting with no recovery issues and minor strength gains

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Comes down to what you have time for. I'd love over an hour so I could get more cardio in but with my life/work schedule I make sure to make every second I have in the gym worth it. Keep my rest periods short and have a gameplay going in

Erikeckert

Erikeckert

Awards
I read a article and heard gossip about the 1st hr being in a anabolic state and anything after that is catabolic. Not sure if there is any real proof behind that.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Your body will usually let you know if you're doing too much. I don't understand how people can get out in under an hour honestly, but as long as you're eating plenty and resting you should be fine. My workouts have been lasting 90-120 minutes and I've been cutting with no recovery issues and minor strength gains
Supersets and dropsets are your friends.

I can hit bis/tris in 30-40 minutes by super setting everything and hitting a massive drop set at the end of each exercise.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It all depends on the individual. 2 hours might be fine for one person and too much for another or might differ if you're working legs compared to bis/tris.

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
This, the body is pretty smart and adaptive

ToughMech

Awards
If it takes me longer than and hour and 15 minutes its because my focus was not there. Otherwise resting in-between sets if your not keeping track may be longer than you think. I personally, am too fatigued/drained at the end of a 2 hour session. I try not to do more than 6 different moves in one session and If I do supersets its even quicker. Ive felt better from short intense workouts than longer drawn out ones. However if when your done you feel great about you workout I think thats really all that matters. You'll know if you didn't work hard enough or take longer to recover if its too much. I'd switch it up every so often, even decreasing workload for a period of time can help make gains.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
1-3 hours. Depends what I'm doing and how heavy I'm working up that day.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Typically I get 1:45 including mobility stuff. If love to have 3 hours on compounds. Upper back and arms I could do in :45-1:00. I don't remember the last time I left the gym because I was done, and not because I had to leave.

DGator86

DGator86

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It really depends what your modality is. I do CF and am in and out in around an hour (mobility at night while watching TV), also have 2 kids so I'm working out at 5:15am.

Most days are stretch, heavy lift or skill, then Metabolic Conditioning. You can definitely kill your body in less than an hour.

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
I believe in what works for you. I workout anywhere from 30 mins to 50 mins.

JP10

JP10

Awards
Agree with this completely. For me 2 hours is perfect, I can get my lifts, abs, and cardio in. Usually forced out in about 1.5hours though because of work schedule/girlfriend threating my life lol.

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
40min1-hr max going heavy to pretty much failure most of the time, and only 3 days a week (4 max). best for growth IMO