Bench form improve ten advice

joemercy2010

joemercy2010

Awards
I'm a training power lifter, currently on a 12 week peaking cycle. Hoping to enter my first meet with a 405 opener, ideally finish out with a pr on the 3rd attempt. However, I seem to have an issue on keeping my butt down when I initiate leg drive... Any suggestions on keeping the butt down? I know I need to focus more on driving my shoulders into the bench.

Not sure how the title got so messed up, it's supposed to say bench form improvement advice... Whoops

Neglia322

Neglia322

Banned
Awards
I have the same problem and then my left leg lifts up

Neglia322

Neglia322

Banned
Awards
I guess it's a mind thing u have to be super aware of things while u got 350 pounds over your face lol

joemercy2010

joemercy2010

Awards
I think part of my issue is I get so pumped before hand I stop focusing on staying tight and exploding at the bottom end, and end up muscling the weight up.

Neglia322

Neglia322

Banned
Awards
Yea it's all mental when benching heavy for me it seems.. If I tell myself I'm going to throw this damn weight up I'll do it when I start second guessing myself about the weight I'll tank the blast off lol

Hootie

Hootie

Awards
  • Established
Experiment with your foot placement. If you have an extreme arch with feet way under you that may exacerbate the problem. Benches can be differing heights, which can mess with you in a meet - if you get the chance check out the comp bench to get the feel for it before your 1st attempt. I had to repeat my opener in my last meet because of this - moved my feet out and wider and felt more comfortable.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Turn your heels outward, this will get your legs driving downwards more instead of back.

GettinSwolen

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Experiment with your foot placement. If you have an extreme arch with feet way under you that may exacerbate the problem. Benches can be differing heights, which can mess with you in a meet - if you get the chance check out the comp bench to get the feel for it before your 1st attempt. I had to repeat my opener in my last meet because of this - moved my feet out and wider and felt more comfortable.
This, you just have to experiment with where your feet can be placed but allow you to keep your butt down. Usually requires you to bring them a little bit more out.