how heavy do you go with goodmornings?

blackjack

Awards
hey guys
I just started incorporating some powerlifting exercises into my routine to try and get my big 3 lifts up. What kind of weight, sets and rep scheme do you follow for goodmornings? I want to strengthen my lower back to improve my deadlift and squat.

thanks

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Start off lighter with sets of 8. After you get used to the movement you can work yor way up to a 3-5 rep max. Also you should do them diffrent ways if you want full development. You can do them with an arched back, bent legs, straight back, straight leg, wide or narrow stance, and any of the above combinations. This coupled with a good amount of ab work should really help your sqaut and deadlift poundage.

knox

Awards
  • Established
I had the privilege of doing some heavy good mornings last week. It was the first time for me to go heavy. I worked my way up to a 3 rep max. The way we did them was bent knees and arched back. Went low enough that my shoulders went below my waist. Of course I started out light so i could get the feel for them. I did alot of goodmornings last year during football but this was my 1st going heavy. The weight I used was-bar-warm-up/ 135x10/ 185x3/ 225x3/ 275x3/ 315x3/ 365x3.

blackjack

Awards
today i did 3 sets of 8. shoulder width stance and a slight bend inmy knees.

kept my back tight but not arched. i can feel it really nice right now. tomorrow ought to be quite sore.
This was in addition to heavy rack pulls.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Those are some nice weights, are you going far down and are you keeping your legs as straight as possible?

I've hit 500x1 off pins, never tried doing reps with the good mornings though.

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
The heaviest I've done was 495 for a set of 3 on ME day and it felt like my eyes were about to pop outta my damn head the pressure was so bad. I did them wide-stance with a slight bend in the knees to put the emphasis more on my hamstrings than my lower back.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
The heaviest I've done was 495 for a set of 3 on ME day and it felt like my eyes were about to pop outta my damn head the pressure was so bad. I did them wide-stance with a slight bend in the knees to put the emphasis more on my hamstrings than my lower back.
Try sitting backwards more when you do them, and keep your back arched the entire time you do the lift. I never have that pressure problem unless I lose my arch and come forward rather than sit back.

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
Try sitting backwards more when you do them, and keep your back arched the entire time you do the lift. I never have that pressure problem unless I lose my arch and come forward rather than sit back.
I think that's what the problem was, they started out as arched back good mornings and finished as rounded back good mornings.

mmorpheuss

mmorpheuss

Awards
  • Established
For those just getting started I recommend an initial goal of whatever you squat divided in half. Definitely start out on the lighter side though.

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
Good thread though... I wasn't sure if you could continue with GMs or if it was limited in how heavy you could go because of the lower back strain. With the weights posted here, umm yea wow, progression is possible.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Good thread though... I wasn't sure if you could continue with GMs or if it was limited in how heavy you could go because of the lower back strain. With the weights posted here, umm yea wow, progression is possible.
It's all about proper form. You WILL hurt yourself if you round your back too much... Arched back, sit way far back into the lift so the weight stays over your feet.

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
It's all about proper form. You WILL hurt yourself if you round your back too much... Arched back, sit way far back into the lift so the weight stays over your feet.
Thanks man, appreciate the advice. I usually try and imagine that I'm doing it in a Smythe limited range of motion and the bar can only move up and down (I'm not actually in the Smythe, just pretending). The weight isn't far behind my squat and nothing makes my glutes burn like GMs, so I love em (no butt jokes please).

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Move your hips back, don't bend at the waist.

blackjack

Awards
thanks for the replies, I appreciate the help.

AcuDoc

Board Supporter
Awards
Absolutely true. Lead with your butt. I find if I focus more on pushing back my butt my form is much better.

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I still don't know how to do good mornings... lol

raylewis

Awards
Those are some nice weights, are you going far down and are you keeping your legs as straight as possible?

I've hit 500x1 off pins, never tried doing reps with the good mornings though.
I don't mean to go off the subject but exnihilo, no disrespect but your waist looks wider than 39 in your picture. Are you measuring from the belly button?

The reason I'm asking is because measured at the belly button, my waist is a 38 and yours looks wider.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I measure from just above the belly button, right at the point where the obliques turn in.

That's a cool photoshop job on your avatar man, looks neat.

raylewis

Awards
ex, you know, lookin at your avatar, you also have abs showing for them being 39 inches. my 38 is covered in flab. i think i have to get to 33-4 to even see my top abs.

anyway, sorry to get off the subject about good mornings. i don't do them but i have a hard time believing the amount of weight some of you are doing with this exercise 3,4,500?? . i would break my back! i guess i would have to give it a shot.

we are talking about this exercise right??

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/BBBentKneeGoodMorning.html