Pec mass

Tylerclee

Tylerclee

Awards
  • Established
Alright folks, I've had a problem with chest being my lagging muscle by far. I've recently realized that my problem was that I wasn't getting a very good contraction. I've now lowered my weight and tried to use more mind to muscle connection. Any tips on certain compound lifts that will force me to get a good contraction?

Permabulk95

Awards
Are you doing dumbbell bench press and flies with Dumbbells?

Tylerclee

Tylerclee

Awards
  • Established
I've been doing dumbell flyes for a while and been doing dumbell bench for about a month.

Permabulk95

Awards
I would say to keep doing heavy dumbbell press, and hit them hard. those really helped me develop pec mass

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I personally saw the most chest development with incline bench. Dumbbell and smith machine and with deep db flies. Those were the most effective for me. Once i became more developed my flat became my strongest, but i went almost a year without doing any barbell presses or any flat bench period and grew leaps and bounds. People tend to neglect the upper pecs and that is where the look truely is.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree with EmpireMind on incline presses.

On finishing moves, give these two a try:

Hex Press-

https://youtu.be/oL7Tb4ofKUI

Pec Minor Dips-

https://youtu.be/IerK6jDwJN0

Hex presses kill my pecs, you just have to consistently push the DBs together. And honestly, I can't seem to get the pec minor dips down but John Meadows swears by them. It may be my BW is a little too heavy for my pec strength right now....

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Are you currently eating in a caloric surplus?

Tylerclee

Tylerclee

Awards
  • Established
I actually tried hex presses the other day and enjoyed them. Oh And slight surplus for about 6 months

bradray5871

Awards
Be sure to squeeze your pecs at the top of your rep, and also standing cable flies work great. Pushups old school ( especially close grip ) and there is always estrogen lol

Tylerclee

Tylerclee

Awards
  • Established
I'm new to a forum so I might be missing the humor lol. What do you mean "there is always estrogen"?

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm new to a forum so I might be missing the humor lol. What do you mean "there is always estrogen"?
^^ this... What does estrogen have to do with pec development? Hes not talking about gyno lol

dvw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
standing high cable chest press you can squeeze and contract

polarcat

polarcat

Awards
  • Established
Superset heavy DB pec flys with barbell bench press. Pre exhaust. You will be torched and swole.

DillonLoomis

DillonLoomis

Awards
I'd say do your first two exercises of chest day heavy. If you don't lift heavy you will probably not develop much dense muscle. Do your last 3 or so exercises and really focus on the squeeze. Throw in some unilateral exercises (one arm smith machine bench, one arm t-bar press away from you). And most importantly, eat and supplement properly.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It was an honest joke, hence the lol part after it
Lol. It was a joke. OP, high estrogen in males can result in gynecomastia or breast tissue growth - man boobs!! Lol

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
I really feel the contraction on incline hex press...I may have to post a video.

Tylerclee

Tylerclee

Awards
  • Established
I recently started doing hex presses, and really feel contraction doing them flat. But it seems this would hit triceps pretty hard.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Do hex on an incline bench, tilt the distal part of the dumbbell towards the ceiling and the proximal part on the very top of your chest, as you press up arc the weight over your head and squeeze your chest, start off light until you're sure you can keep the weight locked together and stable since you'll be bringing it over your face.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
It pretty much negates the shoulder in the movement which is great for me cause I have RC issues

nattylift545

nattylift545

Awards
Do ur flies before presses to preexhaust good luck man.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
^ great tip as well, squeeze those bad boys!

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Well Arnold may have also been on enough D-Bol to take down a horse too...aside from that and his genetics I think it's a lot of personal trial and error...sadly, I've been doing reverse grip bench presses and you'll feel a lot of upper chest activation there...also dumbell pull overs but you have to have perfect form.

Whorecules

Awards
Coming from someone with particularly gifted tiddies, I say that higher volume (more reps, more sets) is key. Bench press (incline and flat because decline is worthless IMO), flies (either cable, machine, or dumbbell, doesn't matter) and dips will get you your chest. It'll take time. There's no quick fix unless you want to take a hop over to the vitamin T section of this website. Be patient, eat at a surplus, and train consistently. I don't think you can really best the bench press when it comes to a good contraction and efficacy for chest growth.

mrgoomba

Awards
Coming from someone with particularly gifted tiddies, I say that higher volume (more reps, more sets) is key. Bench press (incline and flat because decline is worthless IMO), flies (either cable, machine, or dumbbell, doesn't matter) and dips will get you your chest. It'll take time. There's no quick fix unless you want to take a hop over to the vitamin T section of this website. Be patient, eat at a surplus, and train consistently. I don't think you can really best the bench press when it comes to a good contraction and efficacy for chest growth.
I also thought decline was a waste until I started reading some EMG studies...based on muscle stimulation, the decline is actually the BEST chest movement, specifically DB.

http://www.activeca.org/Fitness/muscle-stimulation-study-using-emg-which-exercises-work-a48.html

Since I added this to my chest routine in the 12 rep range, my chest has really grown.

fame126

fame126

Awards
  • Established
I felt it in my triceps more than anything when I used to do hex

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Even on incline and over exaggerating the arc?

Tylerclee

Tylerclee

Awards
  • Established
Haven't tried that yet but I'll give it a go when I do chest next
Same here and his arms weren't spread very far on the db flyes, but that's probably to avoid injury and keep a little juice in the tank for a superset

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
I'll take a video of my hex press variation later tonight and link it.

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Try reverse grip barbell presses. I do them with an incline every now and then.

Really helps with developing upper chest mass.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Yeah that one was mentioned.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Oh, no, not a problem, I just meant we threw it out there, have you done them reverse grip on an incline bench?

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh, no, not a problem, I just meant we threw it out there, have you done them reverse grip on an incline bench?
Yeah...I prefer doing them with a slight incline.

Really helps with upper chest mass.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
I agree with EmpireMind on incline presses.

On finishing moves, give these two a try:

Hex Press-

https://youtu.be/oL7Tb4ofKUI

Pec Minor Dips-

https://youtu.be/IerK6jDwJN0

Hex presses kill my pecs, you just have to consistently push the DBs together. And honestly, I can't seem to get the pec minor dips down but John Meadows swears by them. It may be my BW is a little too heavy for my pec strength right now....
John Meadows is the man, he's un-freaking-real. I second the Hex Press as well. There's a fine line on those where the weight is JUST right to get a great contraction, and then where you just end up muscling it up. I also agree w/ EMPIRE MIND in focusing on incline. That's what I start with every time.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Don't pullovers help as well?
I almost mentioned pullovers, but a lot of people, including myself, seem to feel it in my Lats more than anything. Jason Huh swears by them, he gives those credit to expanding his rib cage to get even wider. If you can maintain the connection to your pecs, then by all means add it your arsenal.

Tylerclee

Tylerclee

Awards
  • Established
I almost mentioned pullovers, but a lot of people, including myself, seem to feel it in my Lats more than anything. Jason Huh swears by them, he gives those credit to expanding his rib cage to get even wider. If you can maintain the connection to your pecs, then by all means add it your arsenal.
Jason huh can hit his lats by doing calf raises lol that fella has unrealistic lats

Tylerclee

Tylerclee

Awards
  • Established
I've considered doing reverse grip presses on decline bench. Seems like you would hit upper and lower pecs at the same time.

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've considered doing reverse grip presses on decline bench. Seems like you would hit upper and lower pecs at the same time.
You can try this. I never do the decline anymore. Hurt my shoulder pretty bad with decline presses last year.

Only inclines for me:)

Mcelis323

Mcelis323

Awards
Stick wih the basic, use different techniques. Pyramid, 5x5, 10 x 10, drop sets, etc. Ive had great results wih adding size to my chest by just doing, incline bench press, bench press, decline bench press, flyes and push ups. Throw in dips for fun

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I recently started doing hex presses, and really feel contraction doing them flat. But it seems this would hit triceps pretty hard.
Won't hit triceps as hard as long as you focus on pushing the DB's together inwards, it will focus on your pecs. Also, you don't need a heavy weight for these.