Pull-ups/chin-ups

Flexappeal

Awards
  • Established
One of my favorites moves. Lately , wide grip pull-ups have been giving me pain in my elbow area. Any other back move I can perform with intensity except this one. I've been doing them for years and they are what shaped up my back and gave me the biggest results, now I'm having a hard time doing them... Anyone have this issue ?

JG93

JG93

Awards
One of my favorites moves. Lately , wide grip pull-ups have been giving me pain in my elbow area. Any other back move I can perform with intensity except this one. I've been doing them for years and they are what shaped up my back and gave me the biggest results, now I'm having a hard time doing them... Anyone have this issue ?
Explain your pain?

Are you feeling pain on the inside of your elbow, or on the upper backside leading downward?

One will be joint pain, the other is muscle.

Flexappeal

Awards
  • Established
I feel it more on the inside/inner elbow... Feels like it could be joint/ligament inflammation. What I don't understand is it only happens with this move.... I can do rows, heavy deads, t-bar, pull downs .... Even chin-ups are less bothersome ... It's wide grip pull-ups I can no longer do

JG93

JG93

Awards
I have a few movements that irritate me. It could just be the pulling method being upwards.
Double down the fish oil and see if it can clear up your dry joints. What about lat pull downs? Bother you doing that as well?

Awards
It sounds like medial (closer to the body's midline), as opposed to lateral (outside) epicondylitis. Otherwise known as golfer's elbow and tennis elbow, respectively, where tendinitis develops in the elbow ligaments.
Rest and using ice or heat or elevation to reduce the inflammation is the safest, most effective solution there.
Although sometimes simply switching from a prone (palms down) to a supine (palms up) or neutral grip for pulling movements can usually help a bit.
If it gets worse or doesn't seem to improve, you may want to visit a physical therapist or chiropractor for the proper stretches and soft-tissue exercises to do to get yourself out of pain. Be wary of using a fitness solution to solve a medical (orthopedic) issue. Hope this helps.

CNPJamie

CNPJamie

Awards
Deep tissue massage would probably help clear this up as well. If it's only wide grip that's giving you pain, it could be in large part due to stretching really tight/knotted tissue.