Rounded shoulders/hunched over

Gills224

Awards
For some reason when I stand naturally, my shoulders tend to round over, and I looked hunched over. I've been told to do stretches to help pull my shoulders back. This problem, from what I hear, is most common with bench jockeys, but my training isn't the issue.

Also, my genetics in this area are horrible. No matter what I do I can't seem to put any weight on in my upper chest area, where my colar bones are. This contributes to the rounded shoulder look, and makes my lower neck/upper chest look skinny. My colar bones are almost as visible as they were when I weighed 140lbs, and I've put on 50lbs since then(5'11).

PastorofMuppets

Awards
Try cutting back on chest a bit and doing hard chest/shoulder stretches or exercises that have a stretch component like flys only.

And do prioritize direct upper back/rotator cuff/rear delt exercises for a while.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Postural distortions like the one you describe are generally (almost always) the result of poor posture/body mechanics persisting over a long period of time. The predominant factor is generally the head, which is commonly thrust forward to read, write, and/or type. Trouble comes from the fact that the head weighs as much as a bowling ball, and if it's not balanced on the neck, the entire body gets twisted up in an effort to keep things functioning. The rounded shoulders are the body's accommodation over time to the strain of counteracting the forward-and-down pull exerted by the forward-thrusting head.

The classic military posture of stomach in / chin up / shoulders back helps retrain the musculature. Nothing like "stretches" will correct it (after all, what is it you're stretching?) - how you hold & carry yourself - and the form you use when working out - will have much greater effect.

Concentrate on strengthening your back (quadratus, latissimus, and the erectors, primarily, but don't be *too* exclusive): once your back is strong enough to hold your body in proper posture, you may well find it easier to pack some onto your front.

* - no, I'm NOT Bobo....

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Stretch chest, Prioritize upper back/rear delt /trap exercises.

For your chest, focus in incline movements only for a while.

Row and row some more and pay close attention to your posture during the day. Bobo may agree but when I personal trained, I had to teach each and every client proper shoulder retraction..without proper retraction your not maximally(if thats a word) contracting the back.

On the start of every back movement pull your shoulder back and down as if you where trying to pinch a pencil between your spine then procedd with the movement. I took my back to New heights by learing proper contraction of the back and retraction of the shoulders...hope it made sence:}

Then you start contracting back muscles you thought never excisted...such a great feeling.

OH did I mention you need cissus to learn proper contraction....haha only kidding guys as I have a couple touchy members that I like to pry at...

take care

ceosm

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:

I'd also add that that's a good thing to do with nearly every upper body exercise. Be it chest, back, shoulers; whatever.

:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:

I'd also add that that's a good thing to do with nearly every upper body exercise. Be it chest, back, shoulers; whatever.
Lean one great addition!!

Even with biceps totally eliminates the shoulders...less poundage but your directly target a muscle not an ancillary muscle.

you must retract with that heavy squat bar on the back and even with deadlifts....

ceosm

Niko

Board Supporter
Awards
I just want to add that you should also look to stretch your hams and glutes while adding some direct lower back work that stresses endurance. Things like 45 degree hyper extension holds for time, or waiter's bows held for time. In terms of posture, think pulling your body under your head as opposed to your head over your body. It's a subtle difference but seems to have a more natural feel.

bullydog

Awards
I had a similar problem when I was in high school (football coach had messed up program with bench 3x a week and no back exercises). People used to make fun of me for it so one day I decided I was going to change it by continually keeping my shoulders in a proper position. Basically I just roll my shoulders back and down like described above, puffing my chest out in a sense. Since I've been doing this the ape look has gone away and I've actually fixed my problem shoulders. They used to seriously pop out 3-4 times a week but since I've kept my shoulders back I've only popped it out 2 times in the past year (both playing rugby).

ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday

RUGBY kicks so much ass, I really miss it!

bullydog

Awards
RUGBY kicks so much ass, I really miss it!
ya, we're in the offseason right now (read: massive running workouts) so I really can't say I think it kicks ass now, or that I miss it, but I'm sure when my years are up I'll miss it to death......... even the running.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Good info guys. I have pretty much the same problem but with a loss of curve in the upper spine which thrusts the neck and head forward.

Gills224

Awards
Good info guys. I have pretty much the same problem but with a loss of curve in the upper spine which thrusts the neck and head forward.
I think I might have a similar problem. I wonder if it's possible to overcome this.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
It is but it takes a lot of money in chiropracty, yoga, Rolfing/ART and strict lifting form. Mine's gotten a little better but I don't have the dough to throw at it.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I just went to the chiropractor the other day and he took some xrays and told me i basically had that, i told him i sleep on my stomach and he said not to do that.. Told me it isnt that big of a deal now, but in 20-30 years it could be a problem.. Gotta start sleeping on my back or side..

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
I just went to the chiropractor the other day and he took some xrays and told me i basically had that, i told him i sleep on my stomach and he said not to do that.. Told me it isnt that big of a deal now, but in 20-30 years it could be a problem.. Gotta start sleeping on my back or side..
Side sleep is the best, bro!

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Side sleep is the best, bro!
I know it is just so hard to get used to sleeping either on my back or side, after 22 years of sleeping on my stomach.haha

mibu852

Awards
Rounded shoulders usually means TIGHT chest muscles as well.
It's important to stretch these chest muscles as well.

Try getting on a swiss ball and grab a couple of 8-12 lbs dumbells.
Lay on the ball and then hold the d.bells across your body (making sure that your hands are parallel to the floor).
Let the weight of the dumbells drag your arms to the floor as much as they can.
Now, move your hands to the top of your head and then down near your legs with a slight bend on the elbows.
(Make sure to not add extra resistance, causing you to lift the db off the floor- you want the weight to drag your arms to the floor).

Try that for a couple of reps before doing any exercises.
It will ensure to lossen some of those chest muscles that are tight, because of poor posture.

mibu852

Awards
Just wanted to add a little bit....

With posture problems, I would take a couple of weeks to correct this issue before handling heavy weights (going heavy can sometimes make the problems worse).

Make sure you stretch before using weights.

You might want to try a couple of weeks of Corrective Training.
This would involve 6-8 exercises per workout with 1-2 sets per exercise and 12-15 reps per set.
Your rest interval should not be very long, and 30 seconds would be a good place to start. Make sure your form is tip top!

I'm just throwing ideas out there... well GOODLUCK!

El_Matarife

Awards
I have severe postural problems. It makes my gut look about 10 times larger than it actually is. I'm also incredibly knock kneed... a really really obvious lack of flexibility is evident. I'm a mess.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Take action now because it gets a lot harder to deal with 10-20-30 years from now. I have a hell of a lot harder time stretching now than I did in my teens and 20's.

I used to be able to do the spits and snap kick the top of doorframe. If I tried that now I'd break. lol

El_Matarife

Awards
Yeah. I want to go see a personal trainer this summer so they can tell me what the hell is wrong with me. i am seriously a huge mess when it comes to posture and fleixbility. I imagine it came from when I was younger and much fatter. I would hunch over so as to hide my stomach... not so good =/