Lat/Back Activation issues

greilich

Awards
Hey guys/gals Im having issues with getting my back to activate and engage like I used to. This dates back roughly 6 months, where everything feels tight . Ive had deep tissue massages as well as float therapy (Epsom salts) which has helped joint pain but still can not get full good stretch and pump in my lats, trap area. Any advice or insight greatly appreciated.

I don't have any photos on my work top. if needed theyre on my instagram haha greilich

5'5''
198lbs.
34'' waist

Former obese teen.

andrewski48

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A few things that help lat activation while lifting that I have noticed are thinking of my hands as hooks and thinking about pulling through my elbows on movements such as pull-ups. If you have someone with you while working out that you feel comfortable enough asking, you can have them touch your lats while working them as this helps some develop a mind/muscle connection.

greilich

Awards
I should have also put down, im 27 and have been lifting consistently since I was 21. My current routine is now, chest/tri back/bi shoulder legs 4 on 2 off 4 on 3 off rotation. For back day, I mix it up for the order of exercises but I stick to the basics with some mix ups. Lat pull downs, close grip, under hand, the lat pullover machine, or the cable push downs. I also throw in pull ups, I stay away from bent over rows due to a knee injury im sorting out (leaning and pressure hurts due to the torn cartilage). The same goes for deadlifts...both used to be my meat and potatoes for back...Ive always had a large wide thick back and Ive lost that ability to develop it back. Im no pro, or claim to be but any insight is appreciated.

Thanks again

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Try to rip the bar apart (outwards) as opposed to toward you on rows and especially lat pulldowns. The weight used will have to come down, but I find that the activation is much greater.

greilich

Awards
Ok! Thanks I will give it a shot, I'm doing back and bi tomorrow ! Then a body float...which feels amazingly good on my joints

jaces

jaces

Awards
push the chest up during back exercises and focus on the elbows and scapula