Training Advice. Workout Posted

vvs002

Awards
Hey I was wondering if I could get some input from some guys on the current workout I'm running and whether it's good for building a little mass and gaining definition

Day 1- Chest
Bench- 8 sets 4-10 reps
Incline Dumbell bench 8 sets 8-12 reps
Incline Bend 6 sets 8-12 reps
Cable flys 6 sets 12-15 reps

Day 2- back
deadlifts- 5 sets of 4-10 reps
Lat pulldowns 8 sets 8-12 reps
seated cable row 8 sets of 8-12 reps
Rack pulls 4 sets of 6-10 reps

Day 3- Legs
Squats 8 Sets of 6-12 reps
Leg press 4 sets of 25
Leg extensions 6 sets of 15
Lef g curs 6 sets of 15
Calve raises 4 sets til failure

Day 4- Shoulders
Seated military press 8 sets of 8-12
Seated side lateral raises 8 sets of 12
Rear delt 4 sets of 12
plate raises 5 of 15
shrugs 6 sets of 8-15

Day 5 - Arms
EZ bar curls 8 sets of 12-15 superset with seated dumbel curls 8 sets of 12-15
Preacher curl machine 8 sets of 12-15 superset with dumbell hammer curls 8 sets of 12-15
V bar push down 6 sets of 12-15
Rope push down 6 sets of 12-15
Kickbacks 4 sets of 12-15

Let me know if there are better things that I can add or opinions

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
hmm,

ok my 2 cents, this is a good start and i am not sure how long you intend to do the above (wouldnt go more than 4 weeks because the body will not react the same) but i like the thinking of the rep range for mass

incline bench not db's
i would use incline db flies- with the max stretch range- dont go to heavy- full stretch then with the squeeze at the start
samething with flat db flies- pretend your trying to hug an oak tree keeping the arms bent- straighter they are the less emphasis your applying to the pec
cable flies for lower pecs- looks like a curl but you arent fully extending your range of motion/ going past mid chest point
dips as well

shoulders, i would ditch the plate lift- imo you have a tendency to cheat with the sway of the body or your weaker arm suffers because the stronger is doing more work.
i would use db

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
for arms, i use 1 db and both hands to do the tri extension
single arm db extension behind the head
rev grip pull down to really hit the long head of the head
incline db extension- doing a tomahawk motion

vvs002

Awards
Was only planning on doing this for 4 weeks then switching

PILL

Awards
Personally, I'd combine days. Roll the bench, shoulders, and hip dominant exercises together, and do the knee dominant, and pulling movements together.

You can do a dedicated arm day if you want or even do a dedicated arm and shoulder day with this kind of split. Only thing is that you'll end up working each movement and body part more frequently so the volume per workout would have to drop a lot.

matt8483

matt8483

Awards
  • Established
IMO 8 sets of anything is too much. I do about the same volume but I throw in more variety