Wrist pain. What could this be?

Z

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
When I was about 17 or so, I tried curling 150lbs with a straightbar and never quite made it all the way up. Ever since then, I've had a fairly sharp pain when lifting something with my write supinated - that's with the palm up, correct? I feel the pain from my wrist up to about half way up my forearm, on the side of my pinky... Does that sound like tendinitis? And if so, is there anything I can do about it? If I don't lift for a LONG time, it goes away but once I start training again, it eventually comes back if I'm not extremely careful. I haven't lifted in a little over three months and I've still got a little bit of pain. It's enough to screw-up my bicep training...

buffb2

buffb2

Awards
I would say a mild case of carpo tunnel syndrome. I get pain in my wrists sometimes to. What i found helps is start lite then gradually work my way up in weight. Dont just dive into the heavy. Plus ive noticed since ive been lifting awhile know it doesnt bug me as bad. Its just one of those things ive learned to deal with from lifting HEAVY. Hope this helps.

Z

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Thanks. I'm hoping that if I lift through it, eventually I'll get used to it, build something up or whatever. What I'm afraid of, though, is it getting worse to the point of it being unbearable.. COULD it be carpal tunnel if it's on the side of my pinky? And, I don't do much typing with my left hand. I mean, when this first started happening, I didn't use my left hand to type at all. I keyed numerics all day with my right hand, and that's it.. It's that one attempt to curl more than I should have that triggered this...

P

pain4pleasure

Awards
does it hurt with other movements....pressing movements, rope tricep pulldowns. If so it could be a hairline, or stress fracture, if not it is probably more along the lines of a ligament or tendon strain.

Peace,
P4P

Z

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
It only hurts when doing palms-up curls.. Hammer curls are fine. Reverse curls are fine.. Pull-ups? I think I'd be on the floor in two seconds with my left hand still on the bar.

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I feel your pain ZT, I have the same thing while doing curls (probably carpel tunnel). Hope things get better man.

Z

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Really.. I never considered this to be carpel tunnel.. Damn...

50joe

Awards
  • Established
I had the same thing, but not from one incident. Whenever I curled with a bar, I would get a horrible pain in both wrists.. it was almost unbareable. I could barely let go of the bar when I put it down like I could not release without major pain.

I still get it, I just wrap my wrists when doing heavy curls for support. It cut the pain down quite a bit. Anything to avoid that...

Z

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Wow, I forgot to mention that, 50joe.. When I put the weight down it takes a few seconds for me to let go without any pain. With a straight bar or curl bar, I release let it down, release my right hand, and slowly open my left hand.. Same with alternating dumbell curls.. I have that right dumbell down and slowly open my left hand.. It sounds like you and I definitely have the same thing..

I just purchased a "McDavid" wrist support (protection level 1) with thermal neoprene wrap and adjustable compression support.. I'm crossing my fingers that it helps.. I guess I'll just wrap my wrist up tight and hope for the best...

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I had the same thing, but not from one incident. Whenever I curled with a bar, I would get a horrible pain in both wrists.. it was almost unbareable. I could barely let go of the bar when I put it down like I could not release without major pain.

I still get it, I just wrap my wrists when doing heavy curls for support. It cut the pain down quite a bit. Anything to avoid that...
I am not really too sure what mine is. Perhaps tendonitis/arthritis/carpel tunnel however I am only 22 and have been fit/active my whole life except for 2 or 3 years when I decided to "experiment" with various substances. It might also just be that I have little bitchy bones. But your pain is the same as mine (outside wrists). Hey I have time, I'll just get a diagram :D Figured I would use Olivia's arm to give us enough space. The area highlighted in green is where mine hurts the most.

Attachments

The Paper Route

The Paper Route

Awards
i have the same exact problem. I was doing heavy curls then after about a month or 2 the pain is killin but i gettin used to it and what you said about the letting go of the weight slowy is a must it feels as if my bones are bending and when i let go of the weight they bend back to quickly and it hurts like a mofo.

Z

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
I am not really too sure what mine is. Perhaps tendonitis/arthritis/carpel tunnel however I am only 22 and have been fit/active my whole life except for 2 or 3 years when I decided to "experiment" with various substances. It might also just be that I have little bitchy bones. But your pain is the same as mine (outside wrists). Hey I have time, I'll just get a diagram :D Figured I would use Olivia's arm to give us enough space. The area highlighted in green is where mine hurts the most.
Yup. That's where mine hurts too... I always thought tendonitis...

C

Coolridge

wrist flexors guys.... go and get some remedial massage and as in my case by which time i couldnt even lift a freakin db anymore without shooting fire in the forearms, you will probably be required to take some time off (just the isolation curling) you may still be able to other exercises involving suppinated wrist, like underhand chin, lat pull etc with the help of wrist straps but i fold them to feel as though they were going to pull my hands of (so i waited).... you should then definately invest in good mits that are able to supply serious compression/support to the wrist and lower inch or two of the forearm.... be warned the deep tissue massage seriously kills but once it done, you wont ever want to go there again.