Reactive(Blue) slingshot v boards

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
I remember reading somewhere that the reactive slingshot is similar to a 2 board except with a full rom. Can anyone confirm this or give the correct comparison. Thanks in advance

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Two completely different things. I think the slingshot is more comparable to reverse banded work, assisting you in the lower portion of the press and not so much on lockout.

On board pressing you aren't doing any movement below X boards.

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
I don't see them as completely different, they are both working the lockout. If the slingshot stops assisting around where "x" board begins it would be pretty similar no? I'm just wondering which board it would be closest too. I'm aware they are not exactly the same

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Blue slingshot is great for raw lifters because the carryover is a proper amount compared to the regular bench, about 10% or a little less. The same can be said about the 2 board. I don't think it's as simple as saying they are equivalent. But they both work for similar reasons.

I don't see the slingshot as a lockout tool. Triceps work, technique work, and high pin presses are better for lockout. Slingshot compares better to accommodating resistance. Which can also be used to improve lockout. But accommodating resistance often improves lock out just because of the improved rate of force development, not because "it's so dang heavy at the top". You learn to take advantage of speed off of your chest to make lock out work for you.

GaWd

GaWd

Awards
Boards and the slingshot are not the same, and I have to agree with harderdude that the slingshot is also not a lockout tool. It's much like a reverse band, and allows for a full-ROM movement, instead of a board which is partial-ROM

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
For the record I never claimed they are the same. The question is just what is the reactive slingshot most similar too in boards. I see how you guys don't consider the slingshot a lockout tool but I do see it as one. Maybe not the most effective but I think the help off the chest and less help at the top can help with triceps and lockout. I appreciate the advice and opinions

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
More help at the chest = opportunity to create more speed = easier lockout. Trust me, that slingshot is still helping thru the top. Now if you wanna do, say, your full range 1RM for high reps with a board and a slingshot, go for it. But my experience over 12-15 people I have trained with is that light accommodating resistance creates better speed off the chest. Stupid heavy accommodating resistance will get your lockout tuned up. Like a close grip board press in a slingshot.

Trust me, I've benched in competition with five different grips, I've benched in every kind of slingshot/ram/bench daddy, of all strengths, and like 5 different shirts. Lockout in a slingshot is 100% technical just like it is in a shirt.